Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxer from N Ireland on Irish Olympic team

• 08-08-2012 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭

Why is there a boxer from the North on Irish Olympic team?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The olympic council of ireland is an all Ireland body.
    /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

And we're off!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Because they're Irish?

More to the point - have we culled all those Cork athletes from Team Ireland yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

About 20 per cent of the Irish team is from the north. Seems about proportional given that the north is about 20 per cent of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Wayne McCullough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

/thread

Coleraine have already won a silver and a bronze, not for team Ireland though, so how does you all Ireland body explain that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Because they are born on the Island of Ireland and have the right to represent Ireland, google is free and you can learn all sorts about history if you are ignorant of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

You should check out the thread about the signs OP!

About 20 per cent of the Irish team is from the north. Seems about proportional given that the north is about 20 per cent of the country

What percentage from Croydon? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

It must be great up there they get to pick and choose. Rory McIlroy will more than likely represent GB in the next Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Because a lot of the people up there would rather represent us than Team Jeebee, they have a choice, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We've no hope of getting out of this recession on our steam if the likes of the OP are products of our education system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Coleraine have already won a silver and a bronze, not for team Ireland though, so how does you all Ireland body explain that?

Coleraine is a country now?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Some of them wouldn't make it onto the GB team. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

MJ23 wrote: »

pay attention in school and you might find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Two athlethes declared for Great britain and northern ireland over the irish olympic team, thats about it.

Just out of interest how would you explain it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Athletes from the north have had the right to compete for either Britain or Ireland in the Olympics since 1952. A lot of northern people regard themselves as Irish and wouldn't want to compete for Britain and I'm glad they have the choice seeing as they wouldn't feel any pride in winning medals for the country that would historically be seen as their oppressor.

Athletes from the north have had the right to compete for either Britain or Ireland in the Olympics since 1952. A lot of northern people regard themselves as Irish and wouldn't want to compete for Britain and I'm glad they have the choice seeing as they wouldn't feel any pride in winning medals for the country that would historically be seen as their oppressor.

Or they didn't make Team GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

gurramok wrote: »
    Coleraine is a country now?:eek:

Anyone that watched the recently shown docu on BBC ' the estate ' might argue its a different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

alastair wrote: »

Seeing as Michael Conlon has already guaranteed himself a medal, I don't think he's lacking in boxing ability. I'd say any country would be happy to have him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MJ23 wrote:
    Why would you say that? Sure what i said is the truth. Half of them may consider themselves Irish, but they're not.
    I consider myself a good singer, but im not.

Don't want to get involved in a PM debate about this so I'll keep it in the main thread. You didn't say anything, truthful or not, you asked why someone from Northern Ireland can box for Ireland.

Make a start with the Good Friday Agreement anyway which declares that anyone from Northern Ireland can identify themselves as, and be accepted as, Irish, British or both and have the right to hold both British and Irish citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wayne McCullough?

Nah, hes a bit old at 42 to have gone to another Olympics.

Plus, his brain seems to have taken a bit too much pounding "Wayne legally changed his name by deed poll to Wayne Pocket Rocket McCullough". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

MJ23 wrote: »

We'll tell you when you're old enough to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Seeing as Michael Conlon has already guaranteed himself a medal, I don't think he's lacking in boxing ability. I'd say any country would be happy to have him.

I don't know how the British selection system works, but in his weight class is a British boxer who won silver in the World Championships and gold in the European championships. If it was a direct competition for a place, Conlan probably wouldn't have got in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think, and it's only a think, that regardless of a person from the North's right to choose which team he wants to be on, outside of the olympics, amateur boxing (and probably a few other sports as well) is run on an all island basis so when the Olympics comes around every 4 years, they continue to fight for the team they've been part of and training with etc. It would make no sense to switch to a different team where you don't know the set up or trainers and they don't know you

I think if it was purely a choice of Britain or Ireland, McCullough from the Shankill road would have chosen GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

How many Northern Irish athletes declared for GB in this Olympics? Only ones I know are the rowers, and the cyclist who was cut from the team(and wasnt very happy about it).

Tried googling it but cant find any answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

/thread

One can only hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Magic OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Every time i see a thread like this i lose a little more faith in the posters on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sure even if you're from Bray you can be claimed by the British if you're good enough: Boom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

/thread

This is obviously not the reason, if it was we simply wouldn't have the likes of Alan Campbell competing for Great Britain.

As enthusiastic as the OCI are about maintaining they represent the whole island, thats not really how it works in the Olympics. The games are a different kettle of fish to playing cricket or rugby on an all-Ireland basis for example, where international representation doesnt really exist in the same raw, defined way as it does in the Olympics.

People represent their nation, their state, their flag etc at the games and not a geological formation.

One thing that does strike me as bizarre though is that Paddy Barnes, the boxer from Belfast competing for Ireland, actually represented Northern Ireland in, of all events, the Commonwealth Games in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

bwatson wrote: »
    This is obviously not the reason, if it was we simply wouldn't have the likes of Alan Campbell competing for Great Britain.

As enthusiastic as the OCI are about maintaining they represent the whole island, thats not really how it works in the Olympics. The games are a different kettle of fish to playing cricket or rugby on an all-Ireland basis for example, where international representation doesnt really exist in the same raw, defined way as it does in the Olympics.

People represent their nation, their state, their flag etc at the games and not a geological formation.

One thing that does strike me as bizarre though is that Paddy Barnes, the boxer from Belfast competing for Ireland, actually represented Northern Ireland in, of all events, the Commonwealth Games in 2010.

Whats bizarre about it? he is from northern ireland..its not an option in the olympics so rather than represent great britain and without the option to declare for the north he fights for ireland.

Its fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sure Wayne MCCullough was one of the other lot and he represented Ireland, no harm done and good luck to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The flip side might be . . .

Athletes from Northern Ireland have had the right to compete for either Britain or Ireland in the Olympics since 1952. A lot of northern people regard themselves as British and wouldn't want to compete for Ireland, and I'm glad they have that choice seeing as they wouldn't feel any pride in winning medals for the country that would historically be seen as foreign to their British culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Anyone wrote: »
    How many Northern Irish athletes declared for GB in this Olympics? Only ones I know are the rowers, and the cyclist who was cut from the team(and wasnt very happy about it).

Tried googling it but cant find any answers.

Simples answers.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19019557

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

alastair wrote: »

You've quite the opinion of your own side. Given that your crowd can't even organise the Olympics properly and that "backward" countries like Estonia, Slovenia and Jamaica are winning far more medals per capita than Britain in the current Olympics, you really ought to keep in touch with Olympic reality more.

Seanchai wrote: »
    You've quite the opinion of your own side. Given that your crowd can't even organise the Olympics properly and that "backward" countries like Estonia, Slovenia and Jamaica are winning far more medals per capita than Britain in the current Olympics, you really ought to keep in touch with Olympic reality more.

Eh. Dublin born and bred. Aside from that... Loving the bitterness!

And wouldn't that be your crowd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

'Medals Per Capita' is not a valid measurement of success when so many sports only allow one entrant per country.

e.g., If allowed enter contestants in line with their abilities then Britain would get silvers and bronzes galore in cycling/rowing to add to those lovely golds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

'Medals Per Capita' is not a valid measurement of success when so many sports only allow one entrant per country.

e.g., If allowed enter contestants in line with their abilities then Britain would get silvers and bronzes galore in cycling/rowing to add to those lovely golds.

It's more to do with money. Countries invest heavily to win medals, it's no longer about sport. It's no surprise the more affluent nations win more medals, none at all. Britain invested heavily so they could be more competitive for their home Olympics, and only yesterday I was reading about how many of the British medal winners came from private schools, make no mistake privilege plays a huge part in the modern Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Paddy Barnes has Commonwealth medals for the North but boxes for Ireland in the Olympics,I suppose the Olympic boxing team is a bit like the rugby we're all in it together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It's based on the sports governing bodies and the arraignments they have with other governing bodies in the same sport . So swimmers must swim for Swim Ireland , Boxers must box for Boxing Ireland, other sports they have a choice between GB and Ireland. I'm not aware of a case where they must represent GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Lemons Lemons, soooo many lemons. How does one cope?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wicklowbiker

You'll notice that most of the those from the north east of the country who win anything while competing for GB and bits of Ulster (the NI statelet), are competing as part of teams, basically been carried along by England as they tag along at the back which would epitomize their relationship to with the British. But as you say, people represent their nation Ireland and so proudly march behind the tricolour :)
    Under the IBA setup, boxers from the six counties can take part in the 3rd rate Olmypics called the Commonwealth Games. Barry McGuigan from Monaghan even competed in them in 1978, would you see this as once again a case of a foreigner interfering in the affairs of ' Ulster ' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

what the...? How has this not been locked yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bambi wrote: »
    Sure Wayne MCCullough was one of the other lot and he represented Ireland, no harm done and good luck to him

thats a nice way of putting it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why do you think the countries you've named are backward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Interestingly it's actually more incorrect for Northern Irish athletes to compete for Great Britain, regardless of their religious or cultural background.

Northern Ireland is not in Great Britain, it's a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, so Team UK would be more accurate to describe that team.

At present Northern Ireland gets no credit for it's competitors who represent Team GB, and this has seen calls from politicians on both sides for it to be called Team UK or for NI to have a team of its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ha ha ha ha i love that per capita spin the brit bashers are using:rolleyes:

and this is the best run Olympics ever, even better than Bejing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The full title of the team is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It just gets shortened to Team GB for convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wicklowbiker

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Interestingly it's actually more incorrect for Northern Irish athletes to compete for Great Britain, regardless of their religious or cultural background.

Northern Ireland is not in Great Britain, it's a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, so Team UK would be more accurate to describe that team.

At present Northern Ireland gets no credit for it's competitors who represent Team GB, and this has seen calls from politicians on both sides for it to be called Team UK or for NI to have a team of its own.
    :rolleyes: And while we're at it, maybe Scottish nationalists should be accomadated like the unionists with their own team, and Welsh nationalists and the People's Republic of Cork and Dublin. In fact in Dublin's case, lets have a north side and south side team :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement