Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxer from N Ireland on Irish Olympic team

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What pisse me off is that Norn Irons basically get two bites of the cherry - and not just in athletics but football and TV phone/text competitions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

:rolleyes: And while we're at it, maybe Scottish nationalists should be accomadated like the unionists with their own team, and Welsh nationalists and the People's Republic of Cork and Dublin. In fact in Dublin's case, lets have a north side and south side team :rolleyes:

You missed the point of that post completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

alastair wrote: »
    Or they didn't make Team GB.

Conlon and Barnes would make team GB, make no mistake about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The full title of the team is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It just gets shortened to Team GB for convenience

Was more of a marketing thing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Interestingly it's actually more incorrect for Northern Irish athletes to compete for Great Britain, regardless of their religious or cultural background.

Northern Ireland is not in Great Britain, it's a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, so Team UK would be more accurate to describe that team.

At present Northern Ireland gets no credit for it's competitors who represent Team GB, and this has seen calls from politicians on both sides for it to be called Team UK or for NI to have a team of its own.

Team GB is a branding. Thats all. Team UK wouldnt be correct either btw

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wicklowbiker

xxyyxx wrote: »
    You missed the point of that post completely.
    I'm afraid it's you who have missed my point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

LordSutch wrote: »
    The flip side might be . . .

Athletes from Northern Ireland have had the right to compete for either Britain or Ireland in the Olympics since 1952. A lot of northern people regard themselves as British and wouldn't want to compete for Ireland, and I'm glad they have that choice seeing as they wouldn't feel any pride in winning medals for the country that would historically be seen as foreign to their British culture.

Of course. But that's not a big deal, because officially they are in the UK and there would be no question of them being allowed to compete for Britain. Northern nationalists on the other hand, have historically often been unable to compete for the country they feel a stronger attachment to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wicklowbiker

Of course. But that's not a big deal, because officially they are in the UK and there would be no question of them being allowed to compete for Britain. Northern nationalists on the other hand, have historically often been unable to compete for the country they feel a stronger attachment to.
    Dunno about that. Apart from soccer, most sports - rugby, boxing and even bloody cricket compete on an all Ireland basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ive not read all the thread but I know the jist of it

Im fed up of all this confusion in the nationality of sportsmen. There was BBC NI this morning claiming both the Irish Northern Irish and British Northern Irish medals. The Olympic Teams are all of Ireland under a tricolour and GB & NI under the union flag. No wonder the Aussie gob****e journo suggested we should just join Team GB. It has always been thus for Rory McIlroy, Eddie Irvine, Mary Peters, Wayne McCullough etc etc etc. The story itself of the history of internecine quarrels in Irish sporting bodies since 1922 makes a bewildering read

Its simple, the governments in all the British and Irish jurisdictions need to sit down and hammer out a policy and put it to a referendum in Northern Ireland - and in Scotland and Wales if they feel like it. The question should be -

"It is proposed to regularise the cluster f*ck that is sporting nationalities in Britain and Ireland. Do you wish your sportsmen and women to be -

a) Irish - representing Ireland in all things, all sports, under a tricolour

b)British - representing the United Kingdom in all things, all sports, under the Union flag

c) Northern Irish - representing NI in all things and all sports, withdrawal from each all Ireland and all British sporting body and standing alone as Northern Ireland in every international sport, be it rugby, soccer, athletics, golf or tiddlywinks, under the Red Hand

The choice is yours!"

I know this will never happen as it would cause a pure schism especially in the GAA and IRFU but someone needs to do something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm afraid it's you who have missed my point ;)

You didn't really have a point, and if you did it was ignored due to your use of the roll-eyes emoticon. The calling card of the Daily Mail/Joe Duffy poster.

Cork is in Ireland, the Republic of. As is Dublin. Scotland is in Great Britain. As is Wales.

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, but not part of Great Britain. It is also, to anyone who knows anything about Irish history, a hugely contentious area for those reasons, so special arrangements are in place to accomodate dual-citizenship etc under the Good Friday Agreement. Cork does not have a Good Friday Agreement, for obvious reasons. Spot the difference? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Seanchai wrote: »
    You've quite the opinion of your own side. Given that your crowd can't even organise the Olympics properly and that "backward" countries like Estonia, Slovenia and Jamaica are winning far more medals per capita than Britain in the current Olympics, you really ought to keep in touch with Olympic reality more.

God you can only :D at that comment.

I don't know what those three countries did on you to call them backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

mike65 wrote: »
    What pisse me off is that Norn Irons basically get two bites of the cherry - and not just in athletics but football and TV phone/text competitions!

I would prefer not have the "two bites of the cherry" than to grow up in a war zone like many people in the north had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Dunno about that. Apart from soccer, most sports - rugby, boxing and even bloody cricket compete on an all Ireland basis.

Soccer iss the big example, as well as Olympics prior to 1952. British police and soldiers also attempted to suppress the playing of Gaelic Games in the north, evidently to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

mike65 wrote: »

This makes no sense but if you feel that aggrieved by it then why dont you play your part in ending partition.
    I'll have the same chance as you when texting into 2FM and all will be well with the world.

Bit of breaking news to punctuate the point of this

Boyd Rankin is leaving the Ireland Cricket setup at the end of the year to concentrate on Warwickshire and aim for an England test callup.

Now that to my mind is disgraceful mercenary behaviour.

Same goes for Peter Charles who rode for Ireland for years through his Irish mother and then decides after an injury to declare for Britain instead, and hey presto, Olympic Gold

Whatever about nationality starting out, its despicable that any sporting body lets their participants change nation in the middle of a career. Once you have nailed your colours to the mast, that should be it forever. If the Country you represent just doesnt happen to be top class in the sport of your talent, then tough sh*te, go play something else.

Look at Isa Nacewa, he was spun some yarn about being still ok to be an All Black even if he came off the bench for 20 minutes for Fiji, and he wasnt. Its tough on him as he was badly advised but the rule was enforced.

There was some suggestion when Sonia O'Sullivan was living in Australia at the end of her career that she could tog out for the Aussies at the Commonwealth Games, a competition Ireland arent obviously in. But there was a right and proper outcry that it devalued her national representation, and it didnt happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Peter Charles jumped from GB to Ireland and back to GB. Born in Liverpool to an Irish mother. He cant move again, not sure why he was allowed first time (Or second).

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I.A.B.A is an all Ireland organisation with no partition on the island of Ireland for amateur boxing .

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ive not read all the thread but I know the jist of it

Im fed up of all this confusion in the nationality of sportsmen. There was BBC NI this morning claiming both the Irish Northern Irish and British Northern Irish medals. The Olympic Teams are all of Ireland under a tricolour and GB & NI under the union flag. No wonder the Aussie gob****e journo suggested we should just join Team GB. It has always been thus for Rory McIlroy, Eddie Irvine, Mary Peters, Wayne McCullough etc etc etc. The story itself of the history of internecine quarrels in Irish sporting bodies since 1922 makes a bewildering read

Its simple, the governments in all the British and Irish jurisdictions need to sit down and hammer out a policy and put it to a referendum in Northern Ireland - and in Scotland and Wales if they feel like it. The question should be -

"It is proposed to regularise the cluster f*ck that is sporting nationalities in Britain and Ireland. Do you wish your sportsmen and women to be -

a) Irish - representing Ireland in all things, all sports, under a tricolour

b)British - representing the United Kingdom in all things, all sports, under the Union flag

c) Northern Irish - representing NI in all things and all sports, withdrawal from each all Ireland and all British sporting body and standing alone as Northern Ireland in every international sport, be it rugby, soccer, athletics, golf or tiddlywinks, under the Red Hand

The choice is yours!"

I know this will never happen as it would cause a pure schism especially in the GAA and IRFU but someone needs to do something

Why does someone need to do something?? The Olympics rolls around every four years and athletes in the north have a choice of which team they would rather represent. Same in football. Rugby and cricket are doing fine on an all-Ireland basis.
    Cannot for the life of me see what the problem is or why there would be any grounds for such a 'referendum'.

Not trying to belittle your argument, but if your gripe is with northern media laying claim to the successes of Irish and British athletes then, in truth, it is a fairly minor issue.

Il Trap wrote: »
    Why does someone need to do something?? The Olympics rolls around every four years and athletes in the north have a choice of which team they would rather represent. Same in football. Rugby and cricket are doing fine on an all-Ireland basis.
    Cannot for the life of me see what the problem is or why there would be any grounds for such a 'referendum'.

Not trying to belittle your argument, but if your gripe is with northern media laying claim to the successes of Irish and British athletes then, in truth, it is a fairly minor issue.

Im being tongue in cheek obviously. Dual citizenship is a long standing thing but there needs to be some definition to it in this context. Its a daft situation that pertains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

crusher000 wrote: »
    I.A.B.A is an all Ireland organisation with no partition on the island of Ireland for amateur boxing .

Is the correct answer.

Peter Charles jumped from GB to Ireland and back to GB. Born in Liverpool to an Irish mother. He cant move again, not sure why he was allowed first time (Or second).

Absolutely. The FEI allowed the change another sporting body might not have. Daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is the correct answer.

Which is why I found all the digs at the OP about not going to school etc quite strange. They didn't teach the structure of Irish amateur boxing in my school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

God you can only :D at that comment.

I don't know what those three countries did on you to call them backwards.

Don't mind him. Intelligence is not something that can be bought in the shop. :pac:

Im being tongue in cheek obviously. Dual citizenship is a long standing thing but there needs to be some definition to it in this context. Its a daft situation that pertains
    Fair enough, didn't pick that that up - but you'll forgiive me given the amount of ill-informed, frankly idiotic posts throughout the thread.

Still though, I can't see the problems with the current eligability provisions for the various sports. In the case of the Olympics, if you are Irish you compete for Ireland. If you consider yourself British then you compete for Britain. Everyone's happy.

Fair enough, didn't pick that that up - but you'll forgiive me given the amount of ill-informed, frankly idiotic posts throughout the thread.

Still though, I can't see the problems with the current eligability provisions for the various sports. In the case of the Olympics, if you are Irish you compete for Ireland. If you consider yourself British then you compete for Britain. Everyone's happy.

But as has been said above, a lot of the organisations are run on an all island basis so it wouldn't make sense for boxers for example to train for 3 and a bit years with the Irish team where they get to know the coaches and the coaches get to know them Then for a few months leading up to the Olympics they become part of the British team and train with their set up instead.

It would create all sort of problems financially as well. Why should Irish boxing support fighters for 3 years then have them fight for another country in the Olympics?

But as has been said above, a lot of the organisations are run on an all island basis so it wouldn't make sense for boxers for example to train for 3 and a bit years with the Irish team where they get to know the coaches and the coaches get to know them Then for a few months leading up to the Olympics they become part of the British team and train with their set up instead.

It would create all sort of problems financially as well. Why should Irish boxing support fighters for 3 years then have them fight for another country in the Olympics?
    No disagreement with you there. That is up to the various codes as to how they limit this kind of jumping from one association to the other. My point is that the freedom of choice that athletes in the north have is only a good thing. Hypothetically, to take that away in any form would be disgraceful. For example, the (fair enough, tongue-in-cheek) suggestion above that there should be a NI team for which athletes from the north would only be eligible for would be a disdainful notion to many. And rightly so!

But sure, tighter regulation of athletes commitment to the various associations I have no problem with.

We have seen the contentious situation between the FAI and the IFA in football and how fairly loose eligibilty regulations have caused difficulty there (however, given the lack of FAI presence in the north and the difficulty for young players in the north to compete and develop within FAI/Irish structures at a local level, I would be against any 'tightening' of the rules in this case. For most kids growing up away from the border regions its a case of IFA - a British association - or nothing, which is regretable.)

Anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

MJ23 wrote: »
    Why is there a boxer from the North on Irish Olympic team?

Surely you know the answer to that. They are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

For the same reason that a Kenyan born cyclist(Chris Froome) and a Somalian born runner(Mo Farah) are on the British Olympic Team, because they can.

They might be happy but the rest of the world is confused, certainly the US and Aussie media today

I agree with the other post about why boxers, for example, should be funded from Ireland to fight in the UK

For instance, Northern Ireland competes in the Commonwealth Games as a Country, for all the events therein including boxing. In theory 2 lads could be on the NI boxing team together and yet when the Olympics come around they could end up fighting each other representing Ireland V Britain! Theres got to be a wrinkle to iron out there.....

• Advertisement

They might be happy but the rest of the world is confused, certainly the US and Aussie media today

I agree with the other post about why boxers, for example, should be funded from Ireland to fight in the UK

For instance, Northern Ireland competes in the Commonwealth Games as a Country, for all the events therein including boxing. In theory 2 lads could be on the NI boxing team together and yet when the Olympics come around they could end up fighting each other representing Ireland V Britain! Theres got to be a wrinkle to iron out there.....
    Some ill-informed sections of US and Aussie media are scratching their heads over the eligibility of athletes born in the the north of Ireland and therefore sporting associations should seek to change eligibility criteria?? Sorry, doesn't float with me.

What the Commonwealth games organisers permit is their business. So far the IOC has seen no reason/justification for a separate NI Olympic Council.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one as I very much fail to see this 'wrinkle' that you speak of that is significantly obtrusive enough to warrant an amendment of eligibility rules. The status quo is fine at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

It must be great up there they get to pick and choose. Rory McIlroy will more than likely represent GB in the next Olympics.

How will the selection process work?

How will the selection process work?

I think they can pick which one they want to play for. I remember one of the other Irish golfers (can't remember if it was McGinley or whoever) saying that they hoped McIlroy and McDowell chose to play for GB as it would mean they'd have a better chance of getting on the Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think they can pick which one they want to play for. I remember one of the other Irish golfers (can't remember if it was McGinley or whoever) saying that they hoped McIlroy and McDowell chose to play for GB as it would mean they'd have a better chance of getting on the Irish team.

Top two pros ranked in GB at the time. That could leave Rory in a tricky situation, so he'd be a foolish little boy to burn his bridges with Ireland completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Genghis Khan.

Rory will do what is best for himself and his country and choose Great Britain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Glad we had Paddy boxing for us tonight - he's a right little terrier!!! Great ambassador for Ireland, more power to him :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Ahhh jeyaus Keith, you're back. In fairness though, your tearing through that list of your favourite historical killers faster than a ...really fast thing. You may want to consider a new username strategy (just a suggestion).

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

karma_ wrote: »
    Ahhh jeyaus Keith, you're back. In fairness though, your tearing through that list of your favourite historical killers faster than a ...really fast thing. You may want to consider a new username strategy (just a suggestion).

Keith or Owen???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

flanno_7hi wrote: »
    Keith or Owen???

It's Keith for definite. He has a fetish for long dead military leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

alastair wrote: »
    Or they didn't make Team GB.

Oh Jesus. The most stupid thing written on Boards - ever - Part III.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Ahhhh there you are Keith.... any chance of popping over to the soccer forum and paying off your debt? It is for charity after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cogito

That's the real answer, hence why McCullough represented Ireland. Not that half the people here care about the real answer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Genghis Khan.

Ahhhh there you are Keith.... any chance of popping over to the soccer forum and paying off your debt? It is for charity after all.
    I don't know who that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Because he wasn't good enough for the British team? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Why is there someone who describes their location as "above the rim" starting threads on boards.ie?

I know! To spout shíte!

Almost ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

BBC NI are saying it's the most sucessful Olympics ever for NI contestants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Anyone who doesn't understand why athletes from Northern Ireland can opt to represent the Republic....please....please get an education. These threads are really tiresome. People should just view them as threads started by trolls.

BBC NI are saying it's the most sucessful Olympics ever for NI contestants.

And what's wrong with that? I'm sure if you lived in Torquay or somewhere BBC South West would be stating how many athletes from that region have won medals. NI is just unique in the fact that people from that area are representing two countries at the Olympics so why wouldn't they count both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

There are athletes from Northern Ireland on Team GB as well. I think it's a result of the Good Friday Agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

OP asked a simple question. Take your heads out of your arses lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement