Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rising Damp through Ground level Door

• 08-08-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I have signs of rising damp after heavy rain. I believe the issue been that my drive way is sloped downwards towards the door and the door frame is at ground level. On close inspection the door frame doesnt look sealed. I filled with Silcone but to no avail.

Now the situation here is that the front door is in an extension part of the house. the extension is basically a converted garage. So this is not the original door which was at actually above ground level. Steps up to it.

The door frame that is there now sits on ground level. Would damp proof course added on top of the drive way adjacent to the door frame and covered over with cement do the trick?

Or should I dig down and fill with some water proofing material? A soak away was suggested and yes the idea is good but i want the easiest job possible. and the least change to the look of the place

Thanks
    Alan

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Drainage/soak away is the only way to go.A few quid spent now will save a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I agree with Mp22. There isn't an easy fix that can be relied on. I would go further than a soakaway. by all means put a soak away in but also Put a channel in to run the water away preferably to a Drain.
    quick Story. Friend of mine similar situation to you. 40 years in the house never a problem. Last year Flash Floods Ground Floor destroyed.
    So it's not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Trebor59

not sure hat you mean by rising damp....rising damp usually refers to dampness creeping upwards in a wall due to either no damp course in the wall or perhaps external ground level bridging the damp course.

If it's surface water getting in under the door frame (as in a alum / pvc door) sealing may get you away with it... the problem with using silicone is that it has to be clean and dry before application ..not easy if the outside ground is concrete and damp... you would have much better chance with one of the newer products like Tech 7 or 007 which will seal to a damp surface, however they surface should still be clean...

can't really help you further unless you post some pics of the problem..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

the water table could have changed from developments around you causing damp to rise a soak away will not really cure this without finding the exact problem and where it is just because its in one area it could be starting somewhere else it could be wasted money..if their is no damp course your still in trouble..
    best advice is a engineer not a diy builder or a mate of a mate fix..

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭allycavs

Thanks for all your help guys. I didnt check back in a while. the damp course in underneath the brick drive way but is not turned up to meet the first level of blocks. I think this is the problem and because of that water is getting in below the door frame and is draining away underneath the floor boards inside which are starting to warp. Going to run damp course up to the door frame and cover with a very low step

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement