Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tough bacon

Options
  • 08-08-2012 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭

When I cook bacon and cabbage the bacon tends to be too chewy :(
    Does this mean it's under or overlooked ?
    Following my grannies recipe I cook the bacon by bringing to the boil and simmering for 45 mins. But I suppose it waits in there longer as the dinners are being prepared. Maybe an extra 15 mins.
    Generally use 5 medium strips of butchers bacon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi,take the bacon out when it's cooked and leave it rest while you finish of the rest of the food or you could give it awhile in the oven after it's boiled I think that it helps the taste a bit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really don't know what you mean when you say you use about 5 butchers strips of bacon. It would be usual to use a single piece of bacon for boiling - maybe that's where your problem lays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Cook for longer, it's done with the fat has turned to jelly like consistency, practically falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I really don't know what you mean when you say you use about 5 butchers strips of bacon.

I presume back bacon - count the ribs - or the gaps in between

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I really don't know what you mean when you say you use about 5 butchers strips of bacon. It would be usual to use a single piece of bacon for boiling - maybe that's where your problem lays.
    The local butcher cuts the back bacon in strips like rashers but thicker ?
    Thanks for all the replies has turned out nicer last 2 times now

• Advertisement
Advertisement