Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Request) Wolfe Tone Concert Stories

• 08-08-2012 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi All,

Through experience and word of mouth, I have come across the below incidents that have taken place at Wolfe Tone Concerts. If anyone has heard any other stories relevant to the Wolfe Tones or similar acts, feel free to share.

Thanks In Advance for All Responses

(FYI: A Wolfe Tone concert can start off with the audience, many in Celtic jerseys, jumping around shouting “Oh Ah, Up the Ra”. The audience can be violent with an attack first, ask questions later mentality)

• In Waterford, a guy brought a British Flag to a Wolfe Tones concert with the intention of burning it. As he started to unroll it, the rest of the audience saw it and beat the crap out of him. He ended up in intensive care in Waterford General Hospital.
    • A group of Irish people brought their Spanish friend to a Wolfe Tones concert wearing a Rangers jersey. Fortunately, considering 1 above, everyone saw he was a foreign national and got the joke.
    • I saw a guy getting a pint glass in the eye at a Wolfe Tones concert.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

There's a high percentage of idiots in attendance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The Wolfe Tones - The Aslan of the 60's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A load of people I know once entered a publicly advertised Venue and in exchange for money were allowed to enter and listen to the Wolfe Tones play ballads while everybody drank alcohol and got drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

The Wolfe tones - Ireland's sex pistols, how proud we all must be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think I remember hearing something about a court martial in 1798 too..... anyone at that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I thought I saw them at Puck fair once, but like everything else about that weekend I cannot be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I don't go within five miles of one.

Hyped up headcases thinking they are fighting for Ireland and well cared for vehicles are not a healthy mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Has op forgotten his medication today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

My Mum and Dad were at a concert back in their courting days of the 70s - think it was the Tones but it may have been Makem and Clancy.

At a certain point, the doors were shut and men with Balaclavas went round collecting "for the cause".

Slightly off-beam but says a lot about my family: We used to drive up north with a 'Rebel Songs of Ireland' tape on heavy use. Parents had the sense to shut it off at the border checkpoint, but I'd be there belting out Kevin Barry in the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

it would appear a lot of gobshites attend wolfe tones concerts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I was at the gig in Waterford, got about 2 bottles knocked over :mad:

Was also full of amphetamine for some bizarre reason :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I hear MCD are pproposing a Swedish House Mafix/Wolfe Tones double bill for the 2016 anniversary.

Something... something....joke about stabbing.... something...something.... punchline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

And from what I remember about the Waterford gig it was an Ulster flag but all the dopes saw it as a symbol of Britain and it all kicked off :rolleyes:

10 mins of mayhem then it all calmed down and we returned to some nice sectrianism :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

geeky wrote: »
    At a certain point, the doors were shot and men with Balaclavas went round collecting "for the cause".

just goes to show that the provos could actually shoot barn doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

My old man and his friends used to go to Wolfe Tones gigs in the 70's just for the craic and the beer.

You could take the words "Wolfe Tones" out of that sentence and it'd still make sense. In fact it'd make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

op is clearly trying to stir up some sh*te here

i've been to a good few Wolfe tone concerts,many at music venues & many at gaa clubs, all were great !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

stovelid wrote: »
    A load of people I know once entered a publicly advertised Venue and in exchange for money were allowed to enter and listen to the Wolfe Tones murder ballads while everybody drank alcohol and got drunk.
    FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have been at a few when they played in a pub nearby, funniest was all these celtic jersey heads were going mental about to kick off and one of the wolfe tones continually saying "ah calm down now boys & girls, calm down" like it was a creche.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Honest to God, the music is so bad. If any youngfella listens to this nowadays it's clearly because he wants to be associated with hating the Brits and some ridiculous pointless nationalist cause. The band are a bunch of hate mongers. But fair play to them for cashing in on absolute morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

rubadub wrote: »
    I have been at a few when they played in a pub nearby, funniest was all these celtic jersey heads were going mental about to kick off and one of the wolfe tones continually saying "ah calm down now boys & girls, calm down" like it was a creche.

Ah yes, all those proud Brit hating Irishmen, wearing the jersey of a British football club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Try the gigs and events forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement