Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Brits claim Katie Taylor.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Good to see our national inferiority complex is alive and well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

murpho999 wrote: »
    What are you on about?

O'Leary is actually Irish.

Technically.......
    O'Leary was born in Colchester, Essex, England to Wexford-born Irish parents Sean and Marie,He is "extremely proud" of his Irish roots and he carries an Irish passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

GastroBoy wrote: »
    wouldent know, never watched big brother.

And any media here in Ireland, TV or published word has referred to the above mentioned as Irish.
    Any one of those people, in an interview in Ireland always gets the "tell us how Irish you are so we can love you more" question!!

I think you're making up , and or exaggerating all of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Here Samual talking about it on the late late show.

Oh cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

OldGoat wrote: »
    Irony. The article claiming the British took the Irishwoman in the same way they took a Scotsman and a Welshman.
    Unless I've mistaken being Scots or Welsh IS being British hence the article fingerpointing the mixing up of geopolitical national bounderies opens up with a blunder by implying that the Welsh and the Scots are not British.

It could be a reference to the English media calling people British, when they are winning, and Scotish/Welsh/Northern Irish when they lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

What about us trying to claim Rory mcilroy all the time? which i find embarrassing when he clearly does not want to represent the tri-colour.
    just check his twitter about the olympics.

It was a journo mistake or stupidity thats all big deal!

We have claimed plenty of british people down the years with irish parents or whatever so we cant talk. as roy keane would say GET OVER IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

bit of a non story... how many people claimed Andy Lee was irish when he was fighting? even though he fought out of limerick he was from England, of irish decent. Katie was born here, here father is english..

If you want to find threats to our nationality we should really look alot closer to home, watching fecking coronation street, the papers, united/city/arsenal supporters..blah blah blah..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    GastroBoy wrote: »
    Sure we claim British people as our own all the time even if they only have a whiff of Irish about them,

Dermot O' Leary,
    The Beatles,
    The Gallagher brothers
    & countless UK football players

etc...........

Thankfully I've never heard any Irish person trying to claim either of those clowns, same with O Leary

Never heard anyone try and claim the Beatles though, who are the definition of Liverpudlians

The gallaghers is a well known one, their parents are Irish, all their family are Irish.

Noel once said on the late late that he was asked to write a song for a football tournament for England and said no because of his Irish roots.

The Beatles? WTF!!

Dermot O Leary always says he's Irish.

Most of the footballers claim Irish because they can't get a game for England.

The Irish media always claim celebrities to be Irish of some sort, whether it's a cousins dogs pup or a bastard child's 10th cousin that spent a day in Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

risteard7 wrote: »
    What about us trying to claim Rory mcilroy all the time? which i find embarrassing when he clearly does not want to represent the tri-colour.
    just check his twitter about the olympics.

Why would he? He's from Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Andy Murray and Gareth Bale are british?

This is most likely a typo that you're all overreacting to. The amount of brit-obsession on boards.ie is sad, why were even reading the telegraphs site to begin with hmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The gallaghers is a well known one, their parents are Irish, all their family are Irish.

Noel once said on the late late that he was asked to write a song for a football tournament for England and said no because of his Irish roots.

The Beatles? WTF!!

The Irish media always claim celebrities to be Irish of some sort, whether it's a cousins dogs pup or a bastard child's 10th cousin that spent a day in Longford.

Still though for all his Irish roots he was very fond of that Union Jack Epiphone he used to play.

Exactly, so why do we all run up his arse down here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I've seen multiple varients of that Samuel L. Jackson/Kate Thornton interview pop up over the years yet I've never met anyone who's seen it and it's not up on Youtube. How odd.

i saw it, he tore into her. rightly so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Colmustard wrote: »
    So OP just go to sleep and don't lie awake all night fretting about this.

It actually doesn't bother me at all. I know it's just lazy/idiot journalism, but I love threads like this so I had to start it! I love how people get really offended and get so wound up by it! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

hes a dirty nordy bastard!!!

mainly cas hes nailing wozniaki the coont!

• Advertisement

So is Clarke and Eddie Irvine. They get a choice

We are better than anyone for claiming people from other countries, were in no position to talk.

lets not forget the great support our athletes have got from the british. imagine what it would be like the other way around and the olympics were in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Because golf is an all-Ireland sport. McIlroy has represented IRELAND in the golf world cup and at amateur level.

Thats why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Colmustard wrote: »
    Bray:rolleyes: Bray???

I am sure you mean Queenstown.

thats cobh in cork. kingstown was dun laoghaire. but the brits are welcome to bray, its a dump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Sloppy mistake, not a massive conspiracy. Relax, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

DrumSteve wrote: »

The Beatles? WTF!!

Still though for all his Irish roots he was very fond of that Union Jack Epiphone he used to play.

Good point. I'd say it was more image than symbolic or political though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

thats cobh in cork. kingstown was dun laoghaire. but the brits are welcome to bray, its a dump

Ah it's not that bad. It's decent on a nice day and the beach/hill walk is okay.

Wouldn't class it as a dump.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

That's mad about Sam Jackson, that's exactly the type of thing that usually turns out to be an urban myth.

I vaguely recall something similar as a kid with Ronan Keating on a chat show where he's asked if he thinks he'll manage to crack America as British artists have trouble doing so at which he laughed and said that's not his problem, not being British. I cannot find a clip of it to this day. Sometimes I wonder if I really saw it at all...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Downlinz wrote: »
    Andy Murray and Gareth Bale are british?

This is most likely a typo that you're all overreacting to. The amount of brit-obsession on boards.ie is sad, why were even reading the telegraphs site to begin with hmm?

Well, they aren't English...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Does anyone have any of that artificial mouth foam how i can fit in with the crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That's mad about Sam Jackson, that's exactly the type of thing that usually turns out to be an urban myth.

I vaguely recall something similar as a kid with Ronan Keating on a chat show where he's asked if he thinks he'll manage to crack America as British artists have trouble doing so at which he laughed and said that's not his problem, not being British. I cannot find a clip of it to this day. Sometimes I wonder if I really saw it at all...

If you did only imagine it, I'd be worried. It can't be right dreaming about Ronan Keating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Just being on RTE2 about it with mick dowling saying its a disgrace and outrageous,so there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭GSF

realies wrote: »
    Just being on RTE2 about it with mick dowling saying its a disgrace and outrageous,so there.
    From the network that labels some sports as Catholic and some Protestant :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

I think some people are incapable of acting patriotic without being anti-British. It's a stupid error, not malicious. Relax.

Godot. wrote: »
    I think some people are incapable of acting patriotic without being anti-British. It's a stupid error, not malicious. Relax.

Yeah. I think this thread should be renamed 'One Brit in one newspaper, probably by mistake as he is under pressure meeting a lot of deadlines due to the Olympics claims Katie Taylor'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

GSF wrote: »
    From the network that labels some sports as Catholic and some Protestant :rolleyes:

The network didn't do that.

Bill O'Herlihy did. :rolleyes:

murpho999 wrote: »

The network didn't do that.

Bill O'Herlihy did. :rolleyes:

And under the same logic, the British aren't claiming Katie Taylor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That's very sloppy indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭GSF

And under the same logic, the British aren't claiming Katie Taylor
    anyways The Telegraph sent out an apology 2 hours ago, so war averted now

https://twitter.com/TelegraphNews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Solair wrote: »
    That's very sloppy indeed.

I was just saying the same to me sister in law in bed this morning :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Did she win?

Won't be the first time a person from Bray that wears tracksuits makes off with a bit of gold after beating somebody up.

Joke - come on KT

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

It could be a reference to the English media calling people British, when they are winning, and Scotish/Welsh/Northern Irish when they lose.

Except this never happens.

I remember seeing the interview with Kate Thornton. What she said may have been inappropriate but there was nothing malicious about it. Samuel L Jackson made it out to be something it wasn't.

As for Noel Gallagher I've heard him say he's Irish because he has no English blood on The Late Late show. But when he's in England he always refers to himself as an Englishman. Very hypocritical.

By the way the BBC presenter read out a tweet from some Irish fella after Katie Taylor's win. It said Katie Taylor is Irish but feel free to claim Ronan Keating, Jedward and Louis Walsh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There lucky :mad: Could have been trouble :mad:

Dean09 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Can they not give us anything?!!
    What do you think? Is this just lazy journalism or is it the Brits trying to add more medals to their tally by claiming Katie?

Source

The way i see it its just one journalist that is all. Not worth bothering about. The media all over the world consist of an alarming percentage of gombeens anyway and i think the British have been extremely supportive of our athletes at these games. Derval O'Rourke got a rousing cheer from alot of the local support as well as the Irish before her semi final last night. Natasha Jonas couldnt praise Katie Taylor enough.

Easy to forget these things. We can be a very indignant nation at times getting in a lather over stray comments here and there. We have an inferiority complex at a time we should be puffing our chests out. All of the gutter journalism in the world wont change the fact Katie is ours and to be honest i find it flattering they covet one of our finest and dont just stereotype us as Guinness swilling Leprechauns like some other 'super power' nations do.

Pete Taylor for example, as an Englishman he has done wonders for Irish boxing and i can guarantee no man is more excited about the success of our boxers then him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

It was mentioned on the BBC. Presenter read out his favourite tweet on the subject,
    Dear Daily Telegraph, Katie Taylor is Irish but feel free to claim Ronan Keating, Jedward and Louis Walsh

:D

On another subject. Why all the hate for Bray? I Rofl'd at the lad from bloody Arklow calling Bray a dump :D

We're stuck in the middle here in Bray. The Wickla muckers consider us jackeens because we're so close to Dublin and the Dubs consider us Culchies because the Town boundary lies 10 metres inside Wicklow. You're all just Jealous that we have the best of all worlds here in Bray. Right beside the capital, Right beside the Sea, Right beside the glorius Wicklow Mountains. 20 minutes on the M50 to the airport on the M50 outside of rush hours. Just because our scumbags can knock seven shades of sh1te out of your Wicklow bogger scumbags or Dublin Skangers doesn't mean you should all hate on Bray ;):D

If ye all hate Bray so much then why did 80,000 of you visit for the airshow the other week and will ye ever stop leaving your sh1te and cans on the seafront and stop setting fire to BrayHead. Its like being invited to a house, wrecking the fcuking gaff in your drunken haze every time you visit and then complaining that the place is a kip :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Just an dum journilist who proberly can't spel gud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

If something is the type of thing a taxi driver would typically get irate about then I tend to not let it worry me too much. This is one of those things. Simple mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

What is it about the Irish and a bandwagon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,644 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We're sorry for mistakenly describing the fantastic boxer Katie Taylor as British in our London 2012 section today. She is Irish, of course.

Ranting over now so :p

Good. As the old joke went we have absolutely no space for all those prisoners of war. :D

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

We're sorry for mistakenly describing the fantastic boxer Katie Taylor as British in our London 2012 section today. She is Irish, of course.

Ranting over now so :p

It's kind of embarrassing that they felt the need to issue that apology. Any other nation would have let it slide as a mistake but for some reason us Irish get our knickers in a twist and demand apologies and corrections.

To be fair; the level of support in sporting event that we get, from the English, is embarrassing. Embarrassing in the manner that we will go for anyone but England, in any event that they are taking part in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

What is it about the Irish and a bandwagon?

You mean supporting our own homegrown talent and not laying claim to British medalists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

gara wrote: »
    You mean supporting our own homegrown talent and not laying claim to British medalists?

Theres a difference between supporting home grown talent and jumping on the bandwagon.

Presumably you dont need me to tell you the difference.

If the "support" as you put it was always there Ireland would be producing more than one olympic champions once every two decades

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Dean09 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Can they not give us anything?!!
    What do you think? Is this just lazy journalism or is it the Brits trying to add more medals to their tally by claiming Katie?

Source

Seriously though? Does it matter? She won so who cares where she is from. Fair play to her I say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement