Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Brits claim Katie Taylor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

They can keep the god-bothering thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Theres a difference between supporting home grown talent and jumping on the bandwagon.

Presumably you dont need me to tell you the difference.

No thank you I don't and you can kindly quit patronising too please. I've been both an avid sports participant and supporter all my life and at times, it does irk me to see the sunshine supporters come out in force.

But by the same token, it's human nature to come on board with topical issues and our Olympians are all over the media right now -do you think they care who's shouting for them? Absolutely not! They're just grateful and appreciative that their country is getting behind them, which is exactly as it should be, bandwagon or otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The way i see it its just one journalist that is all. Not worth bothering about. The media all over the world consist of an alarming percentage of gombeens anyway and i think the British have been extremely supportive of our athletes at these games. Derval O'Rourke got a rousing cheer from alot of the local support as well as the Irish before her semi final last night. Natasha Jonas couldnt praise Katie Taylor enough.

Easy to forget these things. We can be a very indignant nation at times getting in a lather over stray comments here and there. We have an inferiority complex at a time we should be puffing our chests out. All of the gutter journalism in the world wont change the fact Katie is ours and to be honest i find it flattering they covet one of our finest and dont just stereotype us as Guinness swilling Leprechauns like some other 'super power' nations do.

Pete Taylor for example, as an Englishman he has done wonders for Irish boxing and i can guarantee no man is more excited about the success of our boxers then him.
    Absolutely agree with this. I've watched a lot of the coverage of the Olympics on the BBC, except for the Equestrian, which RTE in its wisdom decided to scarcely cover despite the fact that Ireland came 5th in the team eventing, punching way above our weight in the world.

In that event, the BBC commentators gave great coverage to the Irish horses and riders when RTE were not even covering their performances. John Hunt (BBC) was constantly singling out the Irish riders for their performances when most other stations would have been pre-occupied with their own nations' riders instead.

I think most Irish people are mature enough to realize that our British neighbors are not still trying to get one up on the Irish (nor us on them, either); surely we have all moved on.

The mis-allocation of Katie Taylor's nationality in that minor headline was clearly a silly mistake. I don't think it was any sort of Telegraph conspiracy or greedy interest in declaring an interest in her performances.

If anything, the british media have been giving the Irish athletes some very welcome coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

If her dad was British-born wouldn't she technically be a dual Irish/British citizen by birth?

Just sayin'

latenia wrote: »

What a disgusting thing to say -how many Olympic medals have you won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Dean09 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Can they not give us anything?!!
    What do you think? Is this just lazy journalism or is it the Brits trying to add more medals to their tally by claiming Katie?

Source
    since when do the uppity journos in national rags represent the collective actions and opinions of a nation? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    It's just lazy work, it's the consequence of people in the sports department at papers been forced to write about sports they've never heard of or like simply because the olympics are on and noone else has a knowledge of them.

That's it, also with the extension of coverage to sports at the moment, journalists from outside the sports desk are being drafted temporarily. You take someone who's an expert in local politics and ask them to write about a sports topic on short notice and this happens.

Of course there is google in the newsroom..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

:confused:

This depresses me.
    This poor mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

you seem to have some resentment towards katie taylor. why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

FatherLen wrote: »

you seem to have some resentment towards katie taylor. why?

Why have I missed with the God comments? Is she religious? If so, so what

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Why have I missed with the God comments? Is she religious? If so, so what

Born again Christian. Devout one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

godeas16 wrote: »

I'd say that wouldn't bother God in the slightest! He'd be rather chuffed, I wager.

gara wrote: »
    What a disgusting thing to say -how many Olympic medals have you won?

I won bronze in the biathlon at the Sapporo Winter Olympics in 1972

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

godeas16 wrote: »

It shouldn't make a difference anyways what her beliefs are, her job is to knock motherfùckers out. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'm sure God isn't bothered at all. Let her be as religious as she wants.

Call her a god bothering thug and then climb int the ring for a little spar with her :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Good grief, they are now claiming our Katie is 3lbs heavier than her actual weight, converting 60Kg as 9St 7Lbs rather than the correct 9St 4Lbs!! Whatever about getting Katie's nationality wrong, like any woman, she'll f**king murder them for that outrageous slur!!:);
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/international-athletes/9427389/Katie-Taylor.html
    The Telegraph obviously missed out on the Maths A-Level along with Geography!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm atheist, I can't help raising my eyes to heaven when I see athletes,artists or Musicians raising their eyes to heaven in thanks to their god (because they aren't giving themselves the credit they deserve for their achievements). However, it can be argued that it does help these people with the natural self confidence they might be lacking. It doesn't matter that I think they haven't really thought things through and haven't asked themselves the tough question of why God decided to help them win today but didn't help the 1000 abused and/or starving children that died a pitifull death that day. That said, the placebo works. Just last night that silver haired British Olympic god medal winning triple jumper thats presenting the athletics coverage for the BBC who was a famous 'God Botherer', who would quit the competition if the finals ran over into a Sunday because he wanted to 'keep the sabbath'. He was talking on this subject. I was thrilled to hear him say he had lost his faith but he did say that without a doubt when he had faith, it helped him a great deal in competition.

The family are far from thugs. Katies brother is a Maths Professor in Trinity College FFS. Pete Taylor earned extra money to help his kids excell in everything they did by working the doors in Bray years ago. The most mild mannered nicest quiet guy you could meet. The fairest bouncer you could meet. Cause trouble though and the rest of the bouncers could stand back and let Pete destroy whole groups of 'Real Thugs'. His repution was such that the local bars and clubs would compete to employ him because if you had Pete on the Door, trouble rarely started in the first place.

An amazing family altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Dotsey wrote: »
    Her dad boxed for Ireland and won the Irish amateur light heavyweight title in 1986.

That's grand, he's still English though.

Anyway, just looks like a lazy mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm atheist, I can't help raising my eyes to heaven when I see athletes,artists or Musicians raising their eyes to heaven in thanks to their god (because they aren't giving themselves the credit they deserve for their achievements). However, it can be argued that it does help these people with the natural self confidence they might be lacking. It doesn't matter that I think they haven't really thought things through and haven't asked themselves the tough question of why God decided to help them win today but didn't help the 1000 abused and/or starving children that died a pitifull death that day. That said, the placebo works. Just last night that silver haired British Olympic god medal winning triple jumper thats presenting the athletics coverage for the BBC who was a famous 'God Botherer', who would quit the competition if the finals ran over into a Sunday because he wanted to 'keep the sabbath'. He was talking on this subject. I was thrilled to hear him say he had lost his faith but he did say that without a doubt when he had faith, it helped him a great deal in competition.

Drives me mad too. 'Thank you God for letting me win that.....but forgot about all those starving children and the thousands murdered and raped daily'.

Or, the father of Muamba (who collapsed on a football pitch) stating 'Thank you for your prayers, they are keeping him alive'. Hey asshole! Thank the doctors and paramedics who did actaully did save him!

• Advertisement

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Anyway, just looks like a lazy mistake.

Isn't it odd how they made this 'lazy mistake' with Katie and not our comparatively less successful athletes..

I just feel zero affinity with her as I would with any person who thinks they have a personal relationship with Jesus and punches people for a living. At least my stance is more logical than people who award themselves reflected glory from the achievements of someone they've never even met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Why is there so much hullabaloo over where the athletes come from?

I hate the idea of there being a quota on each country for what they can send.

Example: China has a runner who does a sprint in 10 seconds, but is over quota. Ireland has a runner who does it in 10.2 seconds but is under quota. The Irishman goes to the games and the chinese man stays at home.

Thats bogus.

The best and most capable athletes should always get preference.

I want to see a games where the winners are picked from a pool of the very best worldwide. Not just the current gerrymandered version of the best of what went.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Genghis Khan.

risteard7 wrote: »
    What about us trying to claim Rory mcilroy all the time? which i find embarrassing when he clearly does not want to represent the tri-colour.
    just check his twitter about the olympics.

It was a journo mistake or stupidity thats all big deal!

We have claimed plenty of british people down the years with irish parents or whatever so we cant talk. as roy keane would say GET OVER IT
    Rory is a Loyalist, so I agree with you. Why the Irish Republic tries to claim him is bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

murpho999 wrote: »
    I heard Ireland's Sir Chirs Hoy is really angry about it.

I saw that joke on twitter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I swear to god I just heard KeithAFC and Happy Monday cheering with delight. :confused:

• Advertisement

Rory is a Loyalist, so I agree with you. Why the Irish Republic tries to claim him is bizarre.

Republic or North, Catholic or Protestant, Fenian or Loyalist, i simply cannot stand that arrogant vile man no matter where he is from. He is a spoilt overpaid little egomaniac. They across the water can have him with no objection from me.

CruelCoin wrote: »

I hate the idea of there being a quota on each country for what they can send.

Example: China has a runner who does a sprint in 10 seconds, but is over quota. Ireland has a runner who does it in 10.2 seconds but is under quota. The Irishman goes to the games and the chinese man stays at home.

Thats bogus.

The best and most capable athletes should always get preference.

I want to see a games where the winners are picked from a pool of the very best worldwide. Not just the current gerrymandered version of the best of what went.

Hard to disagree with that really. Its no so much an elite competition in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Isn't it odd how they made this 'lazy mistake' with Katie and not our comparatively less successful athletes..

Wait, do people seriously think that that Great Britain were actually trying to "claim" an Irish medal hope as a member of the British olympic team by means of a very small segment in the corner of a sports page in a broadsheet newspaper? Is that really what you are trying to say? I know that most people are making the claim in jest but I'm not sure about yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I just feel zero affinity with her as I would with any person who thinks they have a personal relationship with Jesus and punches people for a living.
    I used to think that as well when I was pretty ignorant on the sport of boxing.

It's really not about fighting. There's a lot which is admirable in the traits that boxers show - physical strength, and both a physical and mental dexterity in responding to or pre-empting your opponent's movements.

It's a far more impressive sport than a lot of other current and future Olympic sports imo *cough*golf*cough*
    CruelCoin wrote: »
    Yeah I have to agree with this.

Why not celebrate them for their human victories in pushing the boundaries of what our species have achieved. This silly medal leagues table listed by country, which some of the TV stations insist on periodically flashing up on our screens, is a little disheartening.

I just feel zero affinity with her as I would with any person who thinks they have a personal relationship with Jesus and punches people for a living. At least my stance is more logical than people who award themselves reflected glory from the achievements of someone they've never even met.

The girl is religious and your not so what?? :confused:

And i can guarantee that the kids who grow up spending their time in boxing clubs in this country will turn out to be far more rounded individuals then those who have nothing to occupy their time and fall in with the wrong crowd.

No one reflecting glory on to themselves but naturally we are inspired by arguably the greatest athlete this country has ever produced and thats before these games. if that's a crime then lock me up and throw away the key.

• Advertisement

Republic or North, Catholic or Protestant, Fenian or Loyalist, i simply cannot stand that arrogant vile man no matter where he is from. He is a spoilt overpaid little egomaniac. They across the water can have him with no objection from me.
    What is wrong with the Ulster genius? Best golf player in the world.

It could be a reference to the English media calling people British, when they are winning, and Scotish/Welsh/Northern Irish when they lose.

Has anyone ever provided any proof of this actually happening?

I mean, if this actually happened then the fact that media publications were being accused of this act then it should surely be incredibly easy to back up? Just a case of one or two links to stories in newspapers?

Its quite strange that although this claim is freely thrown around, nobody to date has backed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ignorant fookers is all. They still they rule us too y'know !, oh and they teach their children in school that they should address a letter to us in Eire and not Ireland :eek::eek:, yet when wrting to Poland they write Poland and not Polska, Germany and not Deutschland etc etc, pure ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 celticking8

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...just a bit confused exactley what part of England is Katie Taylor from ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...just a bit confused exactley what part of England is Katie Taylor from ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bray in the county of Wicklowshire :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

They're just jealous our one gold medal could beat the ****e out of all their gold medals

Katie Taylor claims to be a Christian (no such thing truly exists any more on the Island of Ireland) and punches people as a sport. Very unchristian and a hypocrite. For that reason, I will not be supporting her in the final.

I dont doubt he is very talented and has the major to prove it but i dont like him personally. Very arrogant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Damn it if only there was some sort of ranking system in the world of golf which could actually tell us who the best in the world is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Katie Taylor claims to be a Christian (no such thing truly exists any more on the Island of Ireland) and punches people as a sport. Very unchristian and a hypocrite. For that reason, I will not be supporting her in the final.

Wow you get worked up by little things like that in life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

bwatson wrote: »
    Wait, do people seriously think that that Great Britain were actually trying to "claim" an Irish medal hope as a member of the British olympic team by means of a very small segment in the corner of a sports page in a broadsheet newspaper? Is that really what you are trying to say? I know that most people are making the claim in jest but I'm not sure about yourself!

Nope I think what annoys people in Ireland in that we don't have that many successful sporting heroes on the world stage and then we get one,The brits claim them as there own,The same happened with U2 years ago etc etc,It can be annoying but personally wouldn't be getting to upset over it,after all after 800 years...............................:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's a disgrace. Someone should start a FB campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

I don't believe it was a mistake. She's just knocked out a very talented British boxer.

Though I also think the "Brits claiming our athletes" is silly though.

I'd never been on telegraph.co.uk but today they got free advertisement on millions of facebook/twitter etc pages.

They would have got a sizable amount of clicks from this thread alone.

If it was me I'd troll back and press charges for defamation of character

(just kidding to posters from across the water love you really)

realies wrote: »
    Nope I think what annoys people in Ireland in that we don't have that many successful sporting heroes on the world stage and then we get one,The brits claim them as there own,The same happened with U2 years ago etc etc,It can be annoying but personally wouldn't be getting to upset over it,after all after 800 years...............................:p:p

But "the Brits" aren't claiming anyone. One journalist made a careless mistake when researching a piece for their Olympic round up. I thought that would be abundantly clear, but I guess I was wrong. I suppose I am just surprised that anybody really thinks there is something more sinister to it, and if there was something more sinister, that this would be the way a nation went about "claiming" a foreign athlete!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The Brits can't claim Katie.......... God already has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

So you are supporting the Russian? She probably orthodox Christian.

Seriously the church have a lot to answer for, it's their fault people think like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Are our less successful athletes making headlines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

But "the Brits" aren't claiming anyone. One journalist made a careless mistake when researching a piece for their Olympic round up. I thought that would be abundantly clear, but I guess I was wrong. I suppose I am just surprised that anybody really thinks there is something more sinister to it, and if there was something more sinister, that this would be the way a nation went about "claiming" a foreign athlete!

Its not the first time the British media have claimed the fame of Irish fame,Its going on years albeit not as much since we joined germany ;)

But "the Brits" aren't claiming anyone. One journalist made a careless mistake when researching a piece for their Olympic round up

If you're naive enough to believe this was a 'careless mistake' and that an adult professional couldn't make a three second Google before publishing their work, then that's your prerogative.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that anybody could possibly mistake where Katie Taylor is from, given the wealth of Irish support behind her. Not to mention the fact that there was also attention drawn to her Irish supporters on the basis of their chanting smashing the decibel level.

Essentially, this journalist and his/her editors must be living on Mars to make such a basic error and allow it to go to publication

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you're naive enough to believe this was a 'careless mistake' and that an adult professional couldn't make a three second Google before publishing their work, then that's your prerogative.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that anybody could possibly mistake where Katie Taylor is from, given the wealth of Irish support behind her. Not to mention the fact that there was also attention drawn to her Irish supporters on the basis of their chanting smashing the decibel level.

Essentially, this journalist and his/her editors must be living on Mars to make such a basic error and allow it to go to publication

It still doesn't make the title of the thread correct.

Advertisement