Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Brits claim Katie Taylor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

It still doesn't make the title of the thread correct.

I don't recall claiming that it did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

gara wrote: »
    I don't recall claiming that it did

and I don't recall claiming that you did

and I don't recall claiming that you did

Oh dear. An online Mexican standoff :)

Why are you quoting me and directing that point at me then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Can we claim the dutch ladies hockey team?

There are at least three of those lovely girlies that I want to **** the bowels out of.

Can we claim the dutch ladies hockey team?

There are at least three of those lovely girlies that I want to **** the bowels out of.

Talking of the Dutch, i wonder is there a multi page thread of outrage on their version of Boards after the daily express put their horsey people on the front page and claimed they were the British riders. Somehow I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

latenia wrote: »
    I just feel zero affinity with her as I would with any person who thinks they have a personal relationship with Jesus and punches people for a living. At least my stance is more logical than people who award themselves reflected glory from the achievements of someone they've never even met.

Never been so glad to see a post receive no thanks.

Talking of the Dutch, i wonder is there a multi page thread of outrage on their version of Boards after the daily express put their horsey people on the front page and claimed they were the British riders. Somehow I doubt it.

I very much doubt it too.

Thankfully the fact that I want to pull the box off three of their female hockey players didnt make front page news either.

I very much doubt it too.

Thankfully the fact that I want to pull the box off three of their female hockey players didnt make front page news either.

The big question I have for you is why only 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Katie Taylor claims to be a Christian (no such thing truly exists any more on the Island of Ireland) and punches people as a sport. Very unchristian and a hypocrite. For that reason, I will not be supporting her in the final.

That is nonsense, it would be unchristian to hit someone who didn't want to be hit but she is in a sport with other people who have no problem with being hit.

The big question I have for you is why only 3?

Sorry, I should have said at least three.

• Advertisement

Oh dear. An online Mexican standoff :)

Why are you quoting me and directing that point at me then?

It's terrible when you think of something after you press send isn't it? I might have to take back my thanks. You ruined it with the edit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

risteard7 wrote: »
    What about us trying to claim Rory mcilroy all the time? which i find embarrassing when he clearly does not want to represent the tri-colour.

Really?

Really really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

risteard7 wrote: »
    Exactly, so why do we all run up his arse down here

Golf is an all-island sport, but of course you knew that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

who cares. they didn't force her to declare as British or something. They aren't going to add her medal to their tally. It's just a mistake in a paper that has a crappy enough reputation in the first place.

First the furor over Daley Thompson making a pun and now this. Why are Irish people so determined to makes tits of themselves for the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

If her dad was British-born wouldn't she technically be a dual Irish/British citizen by birth?

Just sayin'

Yep she is part British so they can partially claim her but obviously not the medal as she isnt boxing for team GB. If she was fighting for team GB and it came out that she was part Irish then Ireland would have done the same just like all the english born players that declare for Ireland when they arent good enough to play for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

who cares. they didn't force her to declare as British or something. They aren't going to add her medal to their tally. It's just a mistake in a paper that has a crappy enough reputation in the first place.

First the furor over Daley Thompson making a pun and now this. Why are Irish people so determined to makes tits of themselves for the Olympics.

In hope of a gold medal for it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

First the furor over Daley Thompson making a pun and now this. Why are Irish people so determined to makes tits of themselves for the Olympics as many reasons as possible when it comes to da Brits!?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

We've claimed Daniel Day Lewis (or at least pretty much everyone I know has). I think it's a more than fair trade.

I might have to take back my thanks. You ruined it with the edit.

Bit harsh Jack, no? Thanks are for life, not just the Olympics! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

When they're winning they're Irish, when they lose they're northern Irish/British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

We've claimed Daniel Day Lewis
    ...and Chris DeBurgh, time for a swap I think, has anyone still got the receipts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Relax everybody. When (if) she wins tomorrow they'll be raising the tricolour not the union jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oranage2 wrote: »
    When they're winning they're Irish, when they lose they're northern Irish/British.

When they're American Presidents they're Irish (funny how the Irish love to roll over and have their tummies tickled in that regard as the Prez, whoever he is play you for all you're worth to him back home).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

We've claimed Daniel Day Lewis (or at least pretty much everyone I know has). I think it's a more than fair trade.

DDL took up Irish citizenship and lives in Ireland. We didn't "claim" him against his will which is something the British rag papers tend to do to people.

Anyway Katie Taylor is Irish. Anyone who questions that fact is simply a fcuking idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I think it was probably a genuine mistake. Sh'e clearly Irish and no one can deny that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

They can keep the god-bothering thug..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80129659&postcount=103
    I just feel zero affinity with her as I would with any person who thinks they have a personal relationship with Jesus and punches people for a living. At least my stance is more logical than people who award themselves reflected glory from the achievements of someone they've never even met.

O look - we've found of Jesus' little sun beams.

mike65 wrote: »
    When they're American Presidents they're Irish (funny how the Irish love to roll over and have their tummies tickled in that regard as the Prez, whoever he is play you for all you're worth to him back home).

Seriously? You're not aware that this charade is mutually beneficial? I mean seriously come on man. I know its easy to portray the Irish as little dancing idiot pixies but its predictable and unimaginative.

That relationship has benefited both parties over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

He considers himself Irish though, so it's a bit different!

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Seriously? You're not aware that this charade is mutually beneficial? I mean seriously come on man. I know its easy to portray the Irish as little dancing idiot pixies but its predictable and unimaginative.

That relationship has benefited both parties over the years.

The mutually beneficial relationship is based on more than a simple presidential vist once every twenty years.

Its fair to say american business arent here for the craic

• Advertisement

Why are Irish people so determined to makes tits of themselves for the Olympics.

Why are you being so melodramatic and negative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Colmustard wrote: »
    Bray:rolleyes: Bray???

I am sure you mean Queenstown.

thats cobh in cork. kingstown was dun laoghaire. but the brits are welcome to bray, its a dump

lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

GSF wrote: »
    And under the same logic, the British aren't claiming Katie Taylor
    anyways The Telegraph sent out an apology 2 hours ago, so war averted now

https://twitter.com/TelegraphNews

F^cks sake, I just found me pike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Being born in a stable does not make one a horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Why are you being so melodramatic and negative?

HOW DARE YOU!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!??1?!!?? ARARRRRGAAAAGGAH!!!!!!!111!one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭GSF

Skerries wrote: »
    Being born in a stable does not make one a horse

Dont tell the HSE that

• Advertisement

The mutually beneficial relationship is based on more than a simple presidential vist once every twenty years.

Its fair to say american business arent here for the craic

20 years? I think you'll find the visits are a bit more frequent than that.

Demonstrating that you have close connections with the most powerful and greatest country in the world makes both political and economic sense. The Irish vote has always been strong in the USA hence the desire for potential presidential candidates to play on "Irish heritage." It also means US foreign policy has always been favourable towards the Irish. They have provided us with extra support in our dealings with the British, and no doubt influenced how Britain acted during the troubles, ultimately resulting in the peace process. (Bear it mind it was Clinton who put pressure on the British to engage with Sinn Fein). Their influence on our country cannot be underestimated. Therefore to dismiss the "display of affection" that the Irish have towards the US presidents as merely a naive lapdog mentality, is not only wrong, but ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

thats cobh in cork. kingstown was dun laoghaire. but the brits are welcome to bray, its a dump

What is the big problem with Bray?
    I grew up between Foxrock and Greystones, so both pretty "nice areas", and I still don't have this complex about Bray so many seem to have.

I go out there sometimes, and have friends there. It's pretty nice, especially the seafront and cliffwalk. I get that the main street is a bit of a kip, but get over it. I've seen much, much worse towns than Bray throughout Ireland, and you don't hear people bitching about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

Forget the telegraph and all the negativity, we should be talking about the great victory and hopefully more to come tomorrow. Come on Katie. That's the big story, not some silly journalistic error.

One other thing for all ye so quick to brit bash, the support the British public have show our Irish athletes has been fantastic, especially the support shown to Catriona Jennings, they cheered and clapped her around the final few hundred painful steps. Good on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Genghis Khan.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    So you are supporting the Russian? She probably orthodox Christian.

Seriously the church have a lot to answer for, it's their fault people think like this.
    No I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

She must be British. If she was Irish she would be O'Taylor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Silly mistake from a lazy journalist and that's all it is. There's no need to get insecure, the Women's Lightweight isn't on the Brit public's radar, especially since their own girl is out of it.

https://twitter.com/TomEnglishSport/status/233276589209698304

well Taylor's opponent seems to think she has home town advantage anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Well when one of our fighters lose to an Azerbaijani out in Baku it obviously has to be a fixed fight. I presume they've the same mindset when they come over to this part of the world, shame that really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Even Paddy Barnes is not safe on the BBC website:

"Britain's Paddy Barnes"

Wait until he loses, he'll just be another Paddy then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

the support the British public have show our Irish athletes has been fantastic, especially the support shown to Catriona Jennings, they cheered and clapped her around the final few hundred painful steps. Good on them.

That's only because if she won, they'd be the first to claim her as "British".

Seanchai wrote: »

"Britain's Paddy Barnes"

Haven't you been reading the thread Seanchai? It's obviously just a 'mistake'! :rolleyes::)

Seanchai wrote: »

"Britain's Paddy Barnes"

Ben Dirs, BBC Sport at the boxing at ExCeL

"We are into the light-flyweight quarters and I have to say I thought that was an iffy one to kick off with, three-time world champion Zou Shiming beating Birzhan Zhakypov of Kazakhstan 13-10. Hmmm... Here's Paddy Barnes of Belfast, looking to become the first Irish boxer to win successive Olympic medals. Tom Stalker of Liverpool up at 10ish."

Paddy Barnes of Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

"The Brits, The Brits, The Brits"

More like one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

To sum things up, Ireland's upset over one papers remark, a remark which could more than likely have been made in error, is borne out of our inferiority complex as a nation.
    The Katie Taylor's of this world wont sit around and get upset over things like this. Instead they go out and show what they are capable of on the world stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement