Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Brits claim Katie Taylor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Seanchai wrote: »
    Even Paddy Barnes is not safe on the BBC website:

"Britain's Paddy Barnes"

Wait until he loses, he'll just be another Paddy then.

Hah, UTV Live just said he gave Northern Ireland their 5th medal, didn't realise team NI was at the olympics.

fullstop wrote: »
    Hah, UTV Live just said he gave Northern Ireland their 5th medal, didn't realise team NI was at the olympics.

I suppose if your from the North you would be looking at the local athletes closely and you know the 5 gained their interest in their respective sports up there and benefitted from the facilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

fullstop wrote: »

Isn't Bray claiming a medal as well? Again, another mountain being made out of a mole hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Can't wait for the 2016 sh1tstorm when golf gets into the next Olympics and McIlroy likely competes for Team GB :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Can't wait for the 2016 sh1tstorm when golf gets into the next Olympics and McIlroy likely competes for Team GB :D

There are plenty of Northern Irish athletes on Team GB as it is. That's fine, they have a right to represent them if they want to. Most people only have a problem with the British media claiming the athletes that don't want to be claimed. If Rory opts for Team GB I doubt many people will be shocked/care

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Genghis Khan.

A British citizen competing for Team GB shocker.

With the way his career is going, he probably won't make the team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Isn't Bray claiming a medal as well? Again, another mountain being made out of a mole hill.

Where did I make a mountain out of anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

ITV/Channel 4 can fcuk right off if they even think about claiming Brays delectable Laura Whitmore. She can present the Brits but I'll be damned if I'll let her represent the Brits !! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I was chatting to some girls in a club once and they asked me where I was from. I told them I was from Bray.
    Braaaaaay!! Braaaaaay!! Jeeesiz, god love ye

And where would you be from ladies??
    we're from de 'Brack'

OOOOOkkkkkkaaaaayyyyyy then [backs away slowly] :rolleyes:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Phew! that was close! - an international incident narrowly avoided.

Thank God the Telegraph apologised. The Govt. was considering recalling our Embassador from London.

And think about the damage that could have been caused to the Peace Process.

I just can't understand how the Brits can be so insensitive.

What the Brits also said about Katie that went unnoticed.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics-2012/irish-news/taylor-would-beat-any-of-the-men-at-her-weight-amir-khan-3194342.html
    TWO former British world boxing champions not only believe Katie Taylor will win Olympic gold -- but insist that she's a match for any of the men in her division.

Former world light-welterweight champion Amir Khan said last night that the Bray boxer "would beat any of the men in the 60 kg division" in London and his comments were echoed by retired world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, who described her as a "tremendous fighter."

"The way she throws punches and the aggression she throws them with, you can tell she's got the killer instinct," said Lewis. "I think the guys should be watching their backs, she could beat a lot of them out there."

Taylor boxes for a place in the Olympic final today, but the bookies have already awarded her gold, as she's being quoted at odds of 1/6 to be crowned women's lightweight champion, despite her still having to win two bouts for the honour.

The Irish star (right) will be in the Olympic ring today (2.0 approx) for a semi-final against Tajikistan's Mavzuna Chorieva that her father, Pete, has warned could be fraught with danger.

Her 16-6 defeat of the Tajik fighter at this year's World Championships in China franked what many believe to be Taylor's vast technical advantages over Chorieva. But Pete Taylor believes that the punching power of today's opponent carries a real and dangerous threat.

"She's very explosive," he said of Chorieva, who shocked China's Cheng Dong in Monday's quarter-final.

"She's going to be a different fighter from the World Championships you know. She'll adjust her tactics and we're going to have to adjust ours as well. You saw what she can do against Dong, who is maybe six foot to Chorieva's five feet four. She's very good.

"I think Katie made her look poorer than she is in the Worlds, but I was telling everybody at the time that she's a good boxer. Katie just boxed exceptionally the last time and she's going to have to box at that level again to be beat her, I think."

The prize for victory is a place in tomorrow's Olympic final, most probably against Russia's Sofya Ochigava. Taylor believes his daughter can improve another couple of notches on what was a spectacular performance on Monday against Britain's Natasha Jonas.

"She will be at her best now," he said. "She needed that one fight just to get a bit of the nerves out. We've had a long wait and she hadn't sparred for 11 days so... you've got to kind of grow into a tournament. And now she's in. She's up and running and she's flying now."

Russian No 2 seed Ochigava, who faces Brazil's Adriana Araujo in today's other semi-final, is considered the only remote threat to Taylor, and is 9/2 for the Olympic gold. Araujo and Chorieva are both considered 22/1 shots.

What the Brits also said about Katie that went unnoticed.

But we can't bitch and moan about that. Where's the fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

GSF wrote: »
    From the network that labels some sports as Catholic and some Protestant :rolleyes:

he was factually correct

up till the mid 70's , ad's would appear in Dublin news papers from badminton clubs looking for new members,
    they would include in the ad the word " protestant " to indicate the religious make up of the members and to keep Catholics from joining ,
    also they would also inflate the prices so to keep the riff raff away

so it has been considered for generations past that it is a protestant game
    and that is why he mentioned it - he is correct

because the majority of people are ignorant to the facts , they all jumped on the pc bandwagon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

If theres a sh1tstorm no doubt it will come from people who are desperate to have something to be offended about, rather than the vast majority of golf fans who will respect Rory for his decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

But we can't bitch and moan about that. Where's the fun?

Ohhh the irony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

I live in the UK and it's amazing the number of people who think Ireland is part of Britain. It's just ignorance and also they couldn't really give a hoot about us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

They can have her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Are they also going to claim the other Irish boxers who are currently doing bloody brilliantly in the Olympics? Who gives a shit!? And let's not forget - Katie Taylor is not the only Irish boxer over there doing well - let's give it up for Paddy Barnes, John Joe Nevin, and Michael Conlon too. They're flying the flag too - and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Daniel Day Lewis is often claimed as Irish.
    British born son of a nobleman.

John McEnroe has been claimed as Irish.

Danny Boyle was claimed after the opening ceremony.

Pot kettle black!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Daniel Day Lewis is often claimed as Irish.
    British born son of a nobleman.

John McEnroe has been claimed as Irish.

Danny Boyle was claimed after the opening ceremony.

Pot kettle black!

Daniel Day Lewis is naturalised Irish by his own choice.

John McEnroe claimed as Irish.....you can't be serious.

Danny Boyle, press wrote about his Irish link which is different to saying he is Irish.

Remember the Telegraph printed that she was British which is totally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Britain have their own girl in the final of the flyweight today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

She could beat Amir Khan with her handbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Australia couldn't resist, what a complete and absolute wánker to go on at such length.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics-2012/irish-news/ireland-a-joke-for-not-joining-team-gb-in-olympics-3195120.html

I know it's old but funny and true doing the rounds yesterday, interview about SWAT film with Samuel L Jackson and British interviewr.
    Bimbo: What was it like working with Colin?, cos he is just so hot in the

U.K. right now

Jackson: he's pretty hot in the U.S. too

Bimbo: Yeah, but he is one of our own

Jackson: Isn't he from Ireland?

Bimbo: Yeah, but we can claim him cos Ireland is beside us

Jackson: You see that's your problem right there. You British keep claiming people that don't belong to you. We had that problem here in America too, it was called slavery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Ahh yea Lewis who is Canadian :P

"Lewis was born on 2 September, 1965, in West Ham, London, England to Jamaican-born parents"

Lewis moved to Kitchener, Ontario, Canada in 1977 at the age of 12.

Sounds english enough to me.

If I ever hear an Irish person making fun of the British media for overhyping a sporting event they are going to get a punch in the face.

If I ever hear an Irish person making fun of the British media for overhyping a sporting event they are going to get a punch in the face.

One woman fighting in a brand new Olympic event that has low global participation levels in comparison to most Olympic sports and the country "comes to a standstill" for it. Hilarious.

summerskin wrote: »
    One woman fighting in a brand new Olympic event that has low global participation levels in comparison to most Olympic sports and the country "comes to a standstill" for it. Hilarious.

Its really is. It's got to the stage where I just want it to be over now. Win lose or draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Often laugh at people giving out about england going on about 1966. It was a world cup final against their wartime enemies from 20 years ago.
    Where we have songs and plays about munster beating an new zealand b team in a meaningless one off match and us beating england in a group game in the euros.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »

Often laugh at people giving out about england going on about 1966. It was a world cup final against their wartime enemies from 20 years ago.
    Where we have songs and plays about munster beating an new zealand b team in a meaningless one off match and us beating england in a group game in the euros.

Don't forget Ronnie Delaney. That usually gets rolled out every 4 years as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hmm, Spain.......that's like a Mexico in Europe right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Don't forget Ronnie Delaney. That usually gets rolled out every 4 years as well

That was class though. Athletics gold medals are always class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's different when you actually win at said event.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

The "Brits". Lennox Lewis boxed for Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Speaking of Australia's poor geographical knowledge and hypocrisy, they keep claiming AC/DC even though the members are Scottish and English born.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    The "Brits". Lennox Lewis boxed for Canada.

was born in London, lived there til 12, moved to canada and represented them at the olympics as that was where he lived at the time and had learned his boxing.

Still British though.

Speaking of Australia's poor geographical knowledge and hypocrisy, they keep claiming AC/DC even though the members are Scottish and English born.

Angus Young moved to Australia as a kid. He was 10ish at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Angus Young moved to Australia as a kid. He was 10ish at the time

Aberdeen angus............ good beef cattle.
    If you want blood, you got it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Jay D wrote: »
    Australia couldn't resist, what a complete and absolute wánker to go on at such length.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics-2012/irish-news/ireland-a-joke-for-not-joining-team-gb-in-olympics-3195120.html

I know it's old but funny and true doing the rounds yesterday, interview about SWAT film with Samuel L Jackson and British interviewr.

But the Irish always rise to it.....get offended waaaay too easily. The piece at the bottom is quite illuminating:

Australian newspaper group Fairfax Media was forced into an embarrassing apology after an article about Katie Taylor's triumph over Britain's Natasha Jonas in the Olympic boxing ring was branded as "lazy stereotyping" of the Irish.

The article hit the websites of 'The Age', the 'Brisbane Times' and the 'Sydney Morning Herald' on Tuesday with the headline: "Punch Drunk: Ireland intoxicated as Taylor swings towards victory boxing gold."

“For centuries, Guinness and whiskey have sent the Irish off their heads. Now all it takes is a petite 26-year-old from Wicklow,” the opening paragraph said.

“Dark-haired, deep-eyed and engaging, Taylor is not what you’d expect in a fighting Irishwoman, nor is she surrounded by people who’d prefer a punch to a potato.”

The Irish Ambassador to Australia, Noel White, quickly fired off a letter of complaint to Fairfax Media which resulted in the article being amended and the headline changed. The journalist responsible apologised for writing it.

St Patricks day promotes nothing but the Irish drinking culture around the world, and Irish House in London is full of guys in leprechaun costumes and has a clear focus on drinking!

And the same Ambassador who presumably promoted Paddy's day in Australia now moans that the Irish are unfairly stereotyped! It's not 'lazy stereotyping'.....its the steroetype that the Irish go to great lengths to promote!! And then go get offended!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Going by that stupid logic then Thin Lizzy aren't an Irish band, seeing as Phil was born in England, Robertson is Scottish and Gorham is American. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

steve9859 wrote: »
    But the Irish always rise to it.....get offended waaaay too easily. The piece at the bottom is quite illuminating:

Australian newspaper group Fairfax Media was forced into an embarrassing apology after an article about Katie Taylor's triumph over Britain's Natasha Jonas in the Olympic boxing ring was branded as "lazy stereotyping" of the Irish.

The article hit the websites of 'The Age', the 'Brisbane Times' and the 'Sydney Morning Herald' on Tuesday with the headline: "Punch Drunk: Ireland intoxicated as Taylor swings towards victory boxing gold."

“For centuries, Guinness and whiskey have sent the Irish off their heads. Now all it takes is a petite 26-year-old from Wicklow,” the opening paragraph said.

“Dark-haired, deep-eyed and engaging, Taylor is not what you’d expect in a fighting Irishwoman, nor is she surrounded by people who’d prefer a punch to a potato.”

The Irish Ambassador to Australia, Noel White, quickly fired off a letter of complaint to Fairfax Media which resulted in the article being amended and the headline changed. The journalist responsible apologised for writing it.

St Patricks day promotes nothing but the Irish drinking culture around the world, and Irish House in London is full of guys in leprechaun costumes and has a clear focus on drinking!

And the same Ambassador who presumably promoted Paddy's day in Australia now moans that the Irish are unfairly stereotyped! It's not 'lazy stereotyping'.....its the steroetype that the Irish go to great lengths to promote!! And then go get offended!

sure the aussies are all descended from criminals, so they cant talk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think Russell Barwick should get a troll of the week award. That show he co hosts is satirical in nature, a bit of light hearted fluff in which he plays up to an adopted persona. OZZIE OZZIE OZZIE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Going by that stupid logic then Thin Lizzy aren't an Irish band, seeing as Phil was born in England, Robertson is Scottish and Gorham is American. :rolleyes:

Lizzy were not an "Irish" band really were they? They were always a mixed bag of British, Irish and American talents which just happened to be formed here. They left and were based in the UK, Lynott only came back to be buried if the truth be told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lynnot was Lizzy. Lynnot identified as Irish and nothing else. They were Irish.

Anyway, they began as Lynnot, Downey and Bell as the main members. All Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Give us our 6 counties and you can keep Jedward.
    Katie Taylor is Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

steve9859 wrote: »

A pub with a focus on drinking?? Well i never, whatever next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mike65 wrote: »
    Lizzy were not an "Irish" band really were they? They were always a mixed bag of British, Irish and American talents which just happened to be formed here. They left and were based in the UK, Lynott only came back to be buried if the truth be told.

What a load of complete ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

murpho999 wrote: »
    What a load of complete ****e!

In fairness to him, you don't reach that number of posts without talking a lot of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Are you trying to imply that the Irish media has overhyped Katie Taylor's success? Has the magnitude of what this girl has actually achieved somehow eluded you? This is an historic day for our little country on the international sporting stage. Of course Irish people are rightfully proud and protective of Katie Taylor when it comes to the minefield that is the British media

• Advertisement
Advertisement