Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Brits claim Katie Taylor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

I can't believe this thread is still going.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

First David May took credit for winning the champions league despite not playing in it and now he's claiming Katie for Britain. tut tut.

https://twitter.com/David4May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    First David May took credit for winning the champions league despite not playing in it and now he's claiming Katie for Britain. tut tut.

https://twitter.com/David4May

****in twat at this stage its getting a bit annoying :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

realies wrote: »

i just did a slight edit to his wikipedia page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

i just did a slight edit to his wikipedia page

I take it he wasn't really born in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

gara wrote: »
    Are you trying to imply that the Irish media has overhyped Katie Taylor's success? Has the magnitude of what this girl has actually achieved somehow eluded you? This is an historic day for our little country on the international sporting stage. Of course Irish people are rightfully proud and protective of Katie Taylor when it comes to the minefield that is the British media

to be fair, Katie Taylor done great, as she has done for the last four years. If she didn't win gold it would have been a surprise as she has been the dominant woman at this weight. unfortunately, her sport doesn't have a great following, so the bandwagoners haven't picked up on it until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Are you trying to imply that the Irish media has overhyped Katie Taylor's success? Has the magnitude of what this girl has actually achieved somehow eluded you? This is an historic day for our little country on the international sporting stage. Of course Irish people are rightfully proud and protective of Katie Taylor when it comes to the minefield that is the British media
    Well I accidentally watched the fight on the BBC. I have to say the British commentary was the most biased I ever heard ever. It was completely one sided, even hysterical. Neither the male or female commentator made any attempt to disguise who they favoured or who they thought had won even things looked touch and go.

I have to say if I was Russian I would be furious! But I'm Irish so I was delighted. But the called it perfectly, Katie is a superstar.

They were so completely biased in favour of Katie it was almost unreal and they never for a moment implied she was anything but Irish. Not only that they praised the Irish fans to the rafters.

Could we ever say that about Irish commentators on something involving a Brit?

Bobsammy wrote: »
    I take it he wasn't really born in Dublin?

he wasnt, nor was he an irish footballer

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Me neither! If we could somehow persuade the IOC to create a new event, "arguing amongst ourselves" the Irish would hold WR, OR and gold silver and bronze!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Me neither! If we could somehow persuade the IOC to create a new event, "arguing amongst oneselves" the Irish would hold WR, OR and gold silver and bronze!

Some of the tangents have been amusing. Phil Lynott and Angus Young of AC/DC have been brought into it recently for God's sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

My God....is this still going on! One guy writes something stupid, and half of the population of Ireland get their knickers in a twist, choosing to ignore all the pro Irish and pro Katie bias of the BBC!

Insecure much?!?!

steve9859 wrote: »
    My God....is this still going on! One guy writes something stupid, and half of the population of Ireland get their knickers in a twist, choosing to ignore all the pro Irish and pro Katie bias of the BBC!

Insecure much?!?!

Its gone past the one peice in the telegraph, read the thread much.

It's still a tiny, tiny precentage of British people though and still a lot less in number than the amount of Irish that use the word 'we' when talking about the English football clubs they support (but that's an argument for a different day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Didn't Ireland claim Barack Obama as Irish when he got elected as president??

This happens all the time, one journalist makes a mistake and everyone blames the whole of Britain when the BBC, Sky etc. were quick to proclaim her Irish. I'd have more of a problem with Americans & Australians using a bad Irish stereotype in their articles about us.

Yep, the whole thing.

A couple of bits of lazy journalism and 62,000,000 people are suddenly jealous of the Irish success.

darragh16 wrote: »
    I'd have more of a problem with Americans & Australians using a bad Irish stereotype in their articles about us.

To be honest, I don't care about that either. Why are we as a nation obsessed about other countries opinions of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

To be honest, I don't care about that either. Why are we as a nation obsessed about other countries opinions of us?

Just saying that I'd prefer that they claim one of our own than use stupid stereotypes about us to sell their newspapers. Plus think its because we are a small english speaking nation that we don't like other countries opinions of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes. And I see a bunch of people who think that the population of Britain, having celebrated 23, (24?) gold medals and 30 odd silvers and bronze, along with their own female boxing gold medallist, want to steal another gold medal and screw over the Irish. Just for the craic, like!

• Advertisement

Yes. And I see a bunch of people who think that the population of Britain, having celebrated 23, (24?) gold medals and 30 odd silvers and bronze, along with their own female boxing gold medallist, want to steal another gold medal and screw over the Irish. Just for the craic, like!

I see a whole load of people enjoying winding up a load of people who are easily annoyed.

Besides, we all live in the British isles so we're all technically British anyway ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

I see a whole load of people enjoying winding up a load of people who are easily annoyed.

Besides, we all live in the British isles so we're all technically British anyway ;-)

Ah no were not ya ......

no such place. we share 'these islands'

Of course we do Fred, keep telling your self that and even you might get a medal;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;from Lord sutch ;)

no such place. we share 'these islands'

I can't believe I'm going to get sucked into this tangent but it's just a geographical term. Just like the Irish Sea. We don't actually own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

i know im going off topic but it's a serious issue that needs to be addressed...whats the bleedin story with Kenny Egans tie?

• Advertisement

Of course we do Fred, keep telling your self that and even you might get a medal;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;from Lord sutch ;)

Thanks for proving my point ;-)

just checked that site. there is a tricolour there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I wonder will they bring out katie taylor milk and crisps like they did with barry mcGuigan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Off topic, but I've been out the last few hours. What did the Russian fighter say about Katie after the fight. She looked like she had a major case of sour grapes eaten by the time the medals were awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This happens all the time, one journalist makes a mistake and everyone blames the whole of Britain when the BBC, Sky etc. were quick to proclaim her Irish. I'd have more of a problem with Americans & Australians using a bad Irish stereotype in their articles about us.

Disagree with this.

When Obama was elected people spoke about his Irish heritage, but he was always American.

The Telegraph bluntly stated that Katie was British bit of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

If I ever hear an Irish person making fun of the British media for overhyping a sporting event they are going to get a punch in the face.

You do realise that Britain won the first ever women's boxing gold medal in the fight before Taylor's?

We have 25 golds, we don't need to claim your one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Typical. The one lousy gold medal we win they try to claim her as ''British'' or ''half-British''. Forever taking whats not belong to them

Off topic, but I've been out the last few hours. What did the Russian fighter say about Katie after the fight. She looked like she had a major case of sour grapes eaten by the time the medals were awarded.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0809/1224321876742.html

summerskin wrote: »
    You do realise that Britain won the first ever women's boxing gold medal in the fight before Taylor's?

And how much did those 25 golds cost you - you the taxpayer :D:D LOL :D:D:D:D:D

murpho999 wrote: »

Disagree with this.

When Obama was elected people spoke about his Irish heritage, but he was always American.

The Telegraph bluntly stated that Katie was British bit of a difference.

No, one small piece said se was British, two other features said she was Irish. And they apologised. Get over it. We don't need your girl, we have Nicola Adams and 24 other golds.

Sick of the chip people in this country carry on their shoulder, after the British fans have cheered on your athletes(even the last placed marathon runner).

We don't need your fcuking medals.

vicwatson wrote: »

Nothing. I live in Ireland. Also he money came from the lottery in the UK.

WumBuster wrote: »
    Typical. The one lousy gold medal we win they try to claim her as ''British'' or ''half-British''. Forever taking whats not belong to them

But she is half British. Her dad is from Yorkshire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

No, one small piece said se was British, two other features said she was Irish. And they apologised. Get over it. We don't need your girl, we have Nicola Adams and 24 other golds.

Sick of the chip people in this country carry on their shoulder, after the British fans have cheered on your athletes(even the last placed marathon runner).

There's no chip on our shoulders, if anything its the other way round and many people in GB have the serious chip about Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Sterling contribution
    One guy writes something stupid, and half of the population of Ireland get their knickers in a twist, choosing to ignore all the pro Irish and pro Katie bias of the BBC! Insecure much?!?!

Nothing to do with insecurity, people are simply expressing opinions. Just because it differs from yours doesn't make it less valid.
    A couple of bits of lazy journalism and 62,000,000 people are suddenly jealous of the Irish success.

Who mentioned jealousy? The British team have been incredibly successful so they have no cause for jeaousy but that doesn't give them the right to muscle in on another country's deserved success either
    we all live in the British isles so we're all technically British

Technically speak for yourself
    What did the Russian fighter say about Katie after the fight. She looked like she had a major case of sour grapes eaten by the time the medals were awarded.

She must have ate a lot last night too when she accused Katie of being the cause of Ireland's financial downfall. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic
    bluecode wrote: »
    I accidentally watched the fight on the BBC. I have to say the British commentary was the most biased I ever heard ever. It was completely one sided, even hysterical. Neither the male or female commentator made any attempt to disguise who they favoured or who they thought had won even things looked touch and go

Just because the thread title collectively (and rather inaccurately) refers to "Brits" doesn't mean people are blanketly disgruntled at an entire nation and to think so is just lazy and sensationalist. Most people I know are simply annoyed at the buffoon at The Telegraph who gets paid to publish articles and couldn't get a basic fact right

But she is half British. Her dad is from Yorkshire.

in that case oasis are half irish. their mother is from ireland.

your welcome to them though

• Advertisement

There's no chip on our shoulders, if anything its the other way round and many people in GB have the serious chip about Ireland.

You really are kidding.

Most people in the uk do not care about Ireland in the slightest.

And for those that do, you're like the ginger stepchild. You either like them or you hide them in the attic.

You are a country smaller than Yorkshire, with no global importance. We could not give a fcuk about you.

Ha, you're gas really. Chip on our shoulders? Now why would we have that pray tell:rolleyes:

Must not feed the troll, must not feed the troll ;)

Ha, you're gas really. Chip on our shoulders? Now why would we have that pray tell:rolleyes:

Must not feed the troll, must not feed the troll ;)

Oh go on then, give us the pathetic 800 years sh1t....

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't agree. Ireland is an after thought to many Britons, they don't care enough to have a chip on their shoulder.

I think you'll find Ireland doesn't register on most British people's radar...

You really are kidding.

Most people in the uk do not care about Ireland in the slightest.

And for those that do, you're like the ginger stepchild. You either like them or you hide them in the attic.

You are a country smaller than Yorkshire, with no global importance. We could not give a fcuk about you.

Then what the **** are you doing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

bluecode wrote: »
    Well I accidentally watched the fight on the BBC. I have to say the British commentary was the most biased I ever heard ever. It was completely one sided, even hysterical. Neither the male or female commentator made any attempt to disguise who they favoured or who they thought had won even things looked touch and go.

I have to say if I was Russian I would be furious! But I'm Irish so I was delighted. But the called it perfectly, Katie is a superstar.

They were so completely biased in favour of Katie it was almost unreal and they never for a moment implied she was anything but Irish. Not only that they praised the Irish fans to the rafters.

Could we ever say that about Irish commentators on something involving a Brit?

+1 to this.
    Just another opportunity to whinge and put on the poor mouth.
    Is fcuking embarrassing.

Not sure why you're laughing. It's lottery money....and it's money very well spent!

Chip on the shoulder is probably the wrong phrase but I know what he's getting at. I don't think Inferiority complex is the right one either but there's definitely an obsession with other people's opinions of us and we get unnecessarily irked if someone says something wrong or derogatory about us.

Most other countries wouldn't give a sh1t but every time someone in Australia puts the wrong flag beside one of our athlete's names or get the birthplace of someone wrong, people's heads seem to explode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Dean09 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Can they not give us anything?!!
    What do you think? Is this just lazy journalism or is it the Brits trying to add more medals to their tally by claiming Katie?
    I won't be losing any sleep over it. Maybe you should do likewise and get over it.

Advertisement