Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Brits claim Katie Taylor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

David Rudisha's coach is Irish so that's another medal for us by proxy right!!?

Our news was reporting this bull, so why are we so critical when the British media does the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

realies wrote: »
    summerskin wrote: »
    You really are kidding.

Most people in the uk do not care about Ireland in the slightest.

And for those that do, you're like the ginger stepchild. You either like them or you hide them in the attic.

You are a country smaller than Yorkshire, with no global importance. We could not give a fcuk about you.

Then what the **** are you doing here.

Irish wife wanted to move back to Ireland.

After 5 years she's admitted life in the UK is better so we'll be moving back soon enough.

My family is Irish, I always loved coming to Ireland, but after 5 years living here I can't wait to get out. A bunch of people who have far too high a sense of importance. Nobody gives a fcuk about Ireland other than on paddy's day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Her Dad's from Yorkshire, of course she is British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Chip on the shoulder is probably the wrong phrase but I know what he's getting at. I don't think Inferiority complex is the right one either but there's definitely an obsession with other people's opinions of us and we get unnecessarily irked if someone says something wrong or derogatory about us.

Most other countries wouldn't give a sh1t but every time someone in Australia puts the wrong flag beside one of our athlete's names or get the birthplace of someone wrong, people's heads seem to explode.

Have to disagree with you there,

Canadians would give a **** if people said they were from USA, NZ the same with AUST,Portugal and Spain etc etc,As I have posted earlier this you belong to us opinion by some mostly english media has going on for years,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

steve9859 wrote: »
    I think you'll find Ireland doesn't register on most British people's radar...

Ok obviously there are many ordinary decent people who dont give a fiddlers, but there are lots who do hate us paddys with a passion. Obviously a number of people in the North of ireland, a certain population in scotland, particularily around glasgow, and in England particularily working class areas like Newcastle, north of England, east midlands, etc who tell each others Paddy irishman jokes over breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Think most Irish should pipe down seeing as they've been claiming English football clubs as their own for years now.

After 5 years she's admitted life in the UK is better so we'll be moving back soon enough.

My family is Irish, I always loved coming to Ireland, but after 5 years living here I can't wait to get out. A bunch of people who have far too high a sense of importance. Nobody gives a fcuk about Ireland other than on paddy's day.

Most of us Irish do, that you dont doesent make a bit of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

British people don't want to claim her. Get over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Here's a tip...

You're embarrassing yourself fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

WumBuster wrote: »
    I think you'll find Ireland doesn't register on most British people's radar...

Ok obviously there are many ordinary decent people who dont give a fiddlers, but there are lots who do hate us paddys with a passion. Obviously a number of people in the North of ireland, a certain population in scotland, particularily around glasgow, and in England particularily working class areas like Newcastle, north of England, east midlands, etc who tell each others Paddy irishman jokes over breakfast.

Ok so you've clearly never been to England, as it's the working class north that likes the Irish, many of us have Irish backgrounds. It's the south that don't like you, and that's because they think you are all poor and working class, just the way they think northerners are.

You are clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

The BBC commented on Katie's stunning performance, and also made sure to mention the brilliant Irish support.

Fair play to them.

The BBC commented on Katie's stunning performance, and also made sure to mention the brilliant Irish support.

Fair play to them.

Hats off to the beeb, by a long margin the best broadcasters on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Ok so you've clearly never been to England, as it's the working class north that likes the Irish, many of us have Irish backgrounds. It's the south that don't like you, and that's because they think you are all poor and working class, just the way they think northerners are.

You are clueless.

Dont believe me, read some of the comments posted on this thread that I lurk on occasionally

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=720674

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

realies wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there,

Canadians would give a **** if people said they were from USA, NZ the same with AUST,Portugal and Spain etc etc

Maybe. Interesting that the examples you give, all the countries with a grievance would be considered less illustrious (there's probably a better way to phrase that but you know what I mean) than the neighbours they get compared too. Would an Aussie or American be upset? Maybe it is an inferiority complex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Please stay, we didn't mean to come across as being important :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Chip on the shoulder is probably the wrong phrase but I know what he's getting at. I don't think Inferiority complex is the right one either but there's definitely an obsession with other people's opinions of us and we get unnecessarily irked if someone says something wrong or derogatory about us.

Most other countries wouldn't give a sh1t but every time someone in Australia puts the wrong flag beside one of our athlete's names or get the birthplace of someone wrong, people's heads seem to explode.

Totally agree, Irish people seriously need to grow up a bit and realise we are fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Nobody gives a fcuk about us.
    There is huge obsession with other peoples opinions of us and it has become worse in this country since we fcuked the whole place up financially. We can never quite grow out of this 'great achievement for such a small country' mindset, it is severely annoying at times.

I'm happy for Katie and those involved with her but I thought some of the coverage the fight was getting here was a bit too much for what it was. It was a single 'small' event in the Olympics, you'd think we topped the medal table the way some were going on about it. Jamaica is a 'small' country also and look what they've achieved. I guess all the fair weather Katie fans will go back in their box after the games.

btw, I'm not in the least bit English!

Maybe. Interesting that the examples you give, all the countries with a grievance would be considered less illustrious (there's probably a better way to phrase that but you know what I mean) than the neighbours they get compared too. Would an Aussie or American be upset? Maybe it is an inferiority complex?

Could be,But I can guarantee you that if for some reason/mistake a German or French man was given kudos for something an englishman did WW3 would start,:rolleyes:

And yes maybe we Irish do go a bit overboard and are very defensive about who we are,but that's us, Scottish are bit like that so maybe its the celtic blood.

Goodnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

all sorts of eejits in the global media and even on forums like this coming out with either misinformed crap or just bitter hate-filled stuff about Ireland at the moment

jaysus, you'd swear we were medalling left right and centre the way people are having a pop, just let us enjoy the odd medal in peace without having to wade through a load of ignorant bollox and having to apologise for being happy about it

of course to all the right-on cool kids anyone at all who complains about these eejits has a chip on their shoulder, they're as tiring as the eejits making the original comments

it's simple, if people stop talking ****e about Ireland then there'll be no whinging, if people talk ****e them some will whinge and they have every right to do so, of course you can pretend to be above it and too cool for school and like Morrissey who said of the English - claim that overt patriotism is bringing out the worst in the people, yes you have the right to do that too but heh sometimes you just got to join the party, I'm proud to be Irish and not ashamed to admit that

those are the laws of the world and apply to all countries, if we are nothing special to you, i'm fine with that but we are fab to me :)

cougar1 wrote: »

You're certainly not, the English/British show a modicum of pride in their Gold winning Olympians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

cougar1 wrote: »
    Totally agree, Irish people seriously need to grow up a bit and realise we are fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Nobody gives a fcuk about us.
    There is huge obsession with other peoples opinions of us and it has become worse in this country since we fcuked the whole place up financially. We can never quite grow out of this 'great achievement for such a small country' mindset, it is severely annoying at times.

I'm happy for Katie and those involved with her but I thought some of the coverage the fight was getting here was a bit too much for what it was. It was a single 'small' event in the Olympics, you'd think we topped the medal table the way some were going on about it. Jamaica is a 'small' country also and look what they've achieved. I guess all the fair weather Katie fans will go back in their box after the games.

You are complaining about people that complain, which makes you no different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you need a lift to the airport or ferry just give me a shout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

murpho999 wrote: »
    If you need a lift to the airport or ferry just give me a shout.

hospitable to the end - that's why the world loves us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Living in the UK for the last year. I'm not entirely shocked. A lot of people I work with thought Ireland genuinely was part of the Great Britain, didn't know we have the Euro as our currency and my manager who is 40+ saw an Ireland flag for the first time at the start of the Euros in Poland/Ukraine and she thought we had the Union flag as our national flag.

I'm not sure to categorise the above as stupid or ignorant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Living in the UK for the last year. I'm not entirely shocked. A lot of people I work with thought Ireland genuinely was part of the Great Britain, didn't know we have the Euro as our currency and my manager who is 40+ saw an Ireland flag for the first time at the start of the Euros in Poland/Ukraine and she thought we had the Union flag as our national flag.

I'm not sure to categorise the above as stupid or ignorant?

Stupid is a bit harsh. Ignorant, yes. Afaik modern British history (post WW2) is not on the curriculum, and if your parents never went to Ireland on holiday, you would likely grow up completely oblivious to its presence. I lived in Ireland for a decade and my well educated cousins (in Leicester) at the age of 20, weren't aware that Ireland had 'its own money'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bit like when Eugene Laverity won a WSB race last season on the Yamaha R1.

When the interviewer spoke to him at the end of the race and said about a great win for a brit,Eugene firmly put him in his place and told him he was and is "Irish" and races under the Irish tri-colour..

Well done Eugene.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

gara wrote: »
    Are you trying to imply that the Irish media has overhyped Katie Taylor's success? Has the magnitude of what this girl has actually achieved somehow eluded you? This is an historic day for our little country on the international sporting stage. Of course Irish people are rightfully proud and protective of Katie Taylor when it comes to the minefield that is the British media

I never mentioned the boxer or her achievements. I didnt pass judgement or comment on anythng she has achieved. This isnt the issue.

I simply suggested that the level of hype surrounding the fight is something that annoys Irish sports fans when certain british media establishments do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

Stupid is a bit harsh. Ignorant, yes. Afaik modern British history (post WW2) is not on the curriculum, and if your parents never went to Ireland on holiday, you would likely grow up completely oblivious to its presence. I lived in Ireland for a decade and my well educated cousins (in Leicester) at the age of 20, weren't aware that Ireland had 'its own money'

In all fairness, if people had ever looked at a map, read a newspaper or a book. Maybe watched the bbc news in the last 20 years they would know that Ireland is a separate country. I live in England and there is a certain type of person i meet that does not know Ireland is a seperate nation and they are usually the same people who think every famous person is British no matter if they are Irish, American or turkmeni. They are definitely not stupid in that some have Phds but they just have no interest in the world.

If Americans said some of those things people wouldn't make it's "not on the curriculum" excuses they would in my experience say "stupid yanks" "don't even have passports..." etc etc Why is that? If people are assuming Ireland (all 32 counties) is part of their country should people not know the shape/size of "their" imagined country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Fair play to them.

Fair play to them? Are you serious? If anything smacks of inferiority complex, it's this hogwash. The girl has just become the first ever female athlete to win Olympic gold in boxing and has made history in doing so. I cannot believe you actually think the national broadcaster of the host nation deserve special thanks for commending that achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Fair play to them? Are you serious? If anything smacks of inferiority complex, it's this hogwash. The girl has just become the first ever female athlete to win Olympic gold in boxing and has made history in doing so. I cannot believe you actually think the national broadcaster of the host nation deserve special thanks for commending that achievement

Your facts are wrong!

• Advertisement

If the BBC had called her supporters something less complimentary what would you have said about that?

flanno_7hi wrote: »
    In all fairness, if people had ever looked at a map, read a newspaper or a book. Maybe watched the bbc news in the last 20 years they would know that Ireland is a separate country. I live in England and there is a certain type of person i meet that does not know Ireland is a seperate nation and they are usually the same people who think every famous person is British no matter if they are Irish, American or turkmeni. They are definitely not stupid in that some have Phds but they just have no interest in the world.

If Americans said some of those things people wouldn't make it's "not on the curriculum" excuses they would in my experience say "stupid yanks" "don't even have passports..." etc etc Why is that? If people are assuming Ireland (all 32 counties) is part of their country should people not know the shape/size of "their" imagined country?

I find it frightening that the cream of the british academic crop (or indeed any other nationality)could be so ill informed about the world around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

apart from the female before her :pac: you clown

anyhow well done katie, goto the thread in the boxing thread

Katie Taylor was the "2nd" lady to win Gold.

The English girl in the fight before her fight won gold and became the "1st ever lady" to win a gold in womens Olympic boxing.

Great fighter too,she knocked the crap out of that Chinese girl.

She knocked her down in the 2rd round too.

I find it frightening that the cream of the british academic crop (or indeed any other nationality)could be so ill informed about the world around them.

It's true. Ah sure it's not on their curriculum apparently and sure noone ever reads anything outside of what they read in school.

You're wrong.

Nicola Adams of Britain won the first Olympic gold in female boxing, 10 to 15 minutes before Katie Taylor won her medal.

Congratulations to Nicola, and congratulations to Claressa Shields, the American, too, along with Katie. Three great final fights to round off a great introduction to women's boxing in the Olympics.

P.S. All of this "Britain claim Katie Taylor" nonsense is tiring. No, they didn't: some journalists made some silly mistakes. I'm sure Britain and British people have no interest in claiming one of our athletes as their own. People need to get over it.

• Advertisement

It's true. Ah sure it's not on their curriculum apparently and sure noone ever reads anything outside of what they read in school.

Its mindboggling that people have that little interest in what goes on around them.

gvn wrote: »
    You're wrong.

Nicola Adams of Britain won the first Olympic gold in female boxing, 10 to 15 minutes before Katie Taylor won her medal.

Congratulations to Nicola, and congratulations to Claressa Shields, the American, too, along with Katie. Three great final fights to round off a great introduction to women's boxing in the Olympics.

P.S. All of this "Britain claim Katie Taylor" nonsense is tiring. No, they didn't: some journalists made some silly mistakes. I'm sure Britain and British people have no interest in claiming one of our athletes as their own. People need to get over it.

I agree. Its quite petty

I agree. Its quite petty
    except former Man utd plodder David May @david4may

Not a real account. I stand corrected.

Even tough he's playing along he still got people to react to him

Im sure the "Brummies" will claim Usain Bolt as their own...after he thanked all of Birmingham people for being so nice to him,when he was at the training camp up there last month.

Im trying to imagine Usain Bolt with a brummie accent too.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its not even a real account

Its not even a real account
    Really? I thought it was a WUM when i saw it on facebook but looked at it on twitter looked legit. I stand corrected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

paddy147 wrote: »
    Im trying to imagine Usain Bolt with a brummie accent too.:D

Just close your eyes and think of Lenny Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Ok so Katie's ONE of the first, as opposed to 'the' first, I stand corrected before some of you bust a gut over a minor technicality! Thank you to those of you who managed to constructively point out my mistake without resorting to mindless aggression and name-calling! :)

But back on topic, my basic point still stands and that is that I have no idea how anyone could constitute congratulating a national broadcaster for simply commending an historical achievement -it seems some people literally lay in wait and then queue up to condemn anything Irish and I find that pretty sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Can you imagine how the Brits would react if their cycling champs or rowing champs were declared Irish? What a patheic mistake to make.

Sky News,BBC and RTE all said how amazing it was to see so many Irish fans in the arena,and that the noise and atmosphere they brought with them was like no other they had ever seen before.

Anyone who saw the Nicola Adams fight would have seen and heard the Irish fans cheering on Nicola and also lound renditions of "ole ole ole" throughout that fight.

All TV stations also commented on how Katie Taylor was the woman responsible for bringing women boxing to the forefront and to the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Ok so Katie's ONE of the first, as opposed to 'the' first, I stand corrected before some of you bust a gut over a minor technicality! Thank you to those of you who managed to constructively point out my mistake without resorting to mindless aggression and name-calling! :)

But back on topic, my basic point still stands and that is that I have no idea how anyone could constitute congratulating a national broadcaster for simply commending an historical achievement -it seems some people literally lay in wait and then queue up to condemn anything Irish and I find that pretty sad

Ok can we ground ourselves a little here, how is it an historical achievement worthy of worldwide praise exactly that would be different from any of the other sports achievements at the Olympics? The harsh reality is that nobody outside of Ireland really gives a flying **** about Katie winning the gold today because quite frankly womens boxing is not on the top of the neutrals watchlist in the Olympics.

That isnt to say that i'm not delighted for Katie, it's a great achievement for her but i find the RTE propoganda hype machine a little unbearable at times (oooh c'mere till ya hear who tweeted about us Irish now lads) which mainly comes from caring too much about what everyone thinks of us in the first place.

gilmour wrote: »
    Ok can we ground ourselves a little here, how is it an historical achievement worthy of worldwide praise exactly that would be different from any of the other sports achievements at the Olympics? The harsh reality is that nobody outside of Ireland really gives a flying **** about Katie winning the gold today because quite frankly womens boxing is not on the top of the neutrals watchlist in the Olympics.

That isnt to say that i'm not delighted for Katie, it's a great achievement for her but i find the RTE propoganda hype machine a little unbearable at times (oooh c'mere till ya hear who tweeted about us Irish now lads) which mainly comes from caring too much about what everyone thinks of us in the first place.

So you obviously didnt see the media scrum to get an interview with Katie then?

The Polish,Latvians,Russians and the Americans all want a piece of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Really? I thought it was a WUM when i saw it on facebook but looked at it on twitter looked legit. I stand corrected

For a former Man Utd player who played for them for near 10 years and has been on twitter 6 months, 600 followers is abnormally low (It was 600 when i looked earlier, was probably less before the tweet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Never knew the Telegraph (a newspaper) represented the whole of Britain to be honest…
    "The British claimed Katie Taylor"– Wrong; one ill-informed journalist claimed Katie Taylor. People will pounce on anything to rev up the old Ireland – Britain rivalry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement