Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Brits claim Katie Taylor.

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

TBH anyone who thinks this is all a bunch of bandwagon over reactions probably doesnt pay much attention to international media. The Irish are constantly mistaken as being British, and crude stereotypes applied to us.

Theres nothing wrong with a bit of national pride and asking for those mistakes to be corrected. How else will people learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Theres nothing wrong with a bit of national pride and asking for those mistakes to be corrected. How else will people learn?

Learn what? How has national pride ever taught anyone anything?

For what it's worth, I do celebrate Katie Taylor. Mainly because she is an outstanding athlete who grew up and developed in a society that many Irish people helped to create (even in each person's own small way).

But national pride? Sorry, that's caused us nothing but trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

TBH anyone who thinks this is all a bunch of bandwagon over reactions probably doesnt pay much attention to international media. The Irish are constantly mistaken as being British, and crude stereotypes applied to us.

I think we've been treated quite well by the media compared to other countries. For a country with such a small population, we are known worldwide, which is pretty cool. Being mistaken for the British is one thing, I'd be more worried about the stereotypical "Irish" image, the one you'd see in America (leprechauns, green stuff, booze etc.). People who mistake us as British are unintelligent and therefore, their opinions shouldn't bother us. Besides, every country experiences ignorance like this: Nobody knows which Koria is the communist one, nobody notices the cultural differences between African countries (every country is "just another country in Africa"). Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan: the same image pops into your head for all of these countries (sand and poor people wearing robes). We have it good compared to most of the world. I have a lot of pride in my country but, trying to change an entire world view, to me, sounds unrealistic and overly proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

teednab-el wrote: »
    Can you imagine how the Brits would react if their cycling champs or rowing champs were declared Irish? What a patheic mistake to make.

It was a silly mistake by one English newspaper. That's all. The journalist in question should be reprimanded though for failing to do their job i.e a little prior research**

** like googling her name! how useless and lazy are these idiots? that's all it would have taken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Many English people think the republic is in the UK.

Many English people think the republic is in the UK.

Ah, I highly doubt that. What's your source, the Jeremy Kyle show?

mathstalk wrote: »

My source is English people. I've had this discussion with a few in the past.

I can sort of understand it, because they don't learn about British/Irish history in school, and see Rep. of Ireland included in the sports results etc. when talking about the "home countries".

That's shocking! (presuming they weren't trollin' ya ;)). My Father had the opposite experience while living in England. He said that many would look down their noses at him because of his Irishness and because of Ireland's infamous independence. In fact, on the day of the Aldershot bombing, a shop keeper refused to serve him because of his accent. It was my impression that Ireland's independence stuck out like a sore thumb over there. I have to say, if it no longer does, I'm not at all unhappy. Frankly, I'd prefer ignorance over hateful acclaim any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

summerskin wrote: »
    Ok so you've clearly never been to England, as it's the working class north that likes the Irish, many of us have Irish backgrounds. It's the south that don't like you, and that's because they think you are all poor and working class, just the way they think northerners are.

You are clueless.
    I honestly believe that it is best that you move back to England. Your posts in here are so awful that they're making my eyes bleed, I can only imagine what it's like to speak to you in real life. Grim.

And with the attitude you've shown in here with regards to Ireland, it's no surprise that your wife "agrees" with you. She hasn't really got any other option when her mouth-breather of a husband is spewing generalised, bigoted ****e out of his mouth and pretends to speak for the North and South of England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mathstalk wrote: »

I can sort of understand it, because they don't learn about British/Irish history in school, and see Rep. of Ireland included in the sports results etc. when talking about the "home countries".

Just for some perspective, have you ever heard Irish people refer to Britain as England or the british as English? I hear it every day

Just for some perspective, have you ever heard Irish people refer to Britain as England or the british as English? I hear it every day

I do hear that alright, but everyone would know a Scottish or Welsh person is not English. It's more a case of lazy speech I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ah hemm, Getting back to Katie I think she did a great job and I only hope that they put up a statue to her in Bray (possibly on the seafront/ prominade) near the boxing club, failing that they should at least paint her local post box Gold as they do for the team GB gold winners! I should also mention two other fantastic female gold medals from yesterday in the form of Team GB's Nicola Adams in the boxing ring, and Jade Jones in Taekwondo. Tough girls all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I do hear that alright, but everyone would know a Scottish or Welsh person is not English. It's more a case of lazy speech I reckon.

Nope, it is straight forward ignorance of a foreign country, just like the people who think Ireland is in Britain.

Nope, it is straight forward ignorance of a foreign country, just like the people who think Ireland is in Britain.

I highly doubt any Irish person thinks Scotland is in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I highly doubt any Irish person thinks Scotland is in England.

Never underestimate ignorance, it breeds across all societies, we are no different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Never underestimate ignorance, it breeds across all societies, we are no different.

That's true but it doesn't mean it should go unchecked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

LordSutch wrote: »
    Ah hemm, Getting back to Katie I think she did a great job and I only hope that they put up a statue to her in Bray (possibly on the seafront/ prominade) near the boxing club, failing that they should at least paint her local post box Gold as they do for the team GB gold winners! I should also mention two other fantastic female gold medals from yesterday in the form of Team GB's Nicola Adams in the boxing ring, and Jade Jones in Taekwondo. Tough girls all.

That Nicola Adams is a real joy, seen her interviewed a few times now and she is always smiling and seems so happy, fair play to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

realies wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there,

Canadians would give a **** if people said they were from USA, NZ the same with AUST,Portugal and Spain etc etc,As I have posted earlier this you belong to us opinion by some mostly english media has going on for years,

You are forgetting the fuss North Korea kicked up at the start of the games when they used the South Korean flag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gvn wrote: »
    You're wrong.

Nicola Adams of Britain won the first Olympic gold in female boxing, 10 to 15 minutes before Katie Taylor won her medal.

Congratulations to Nicola, and congratulations to Claressa Shields, the American, too, along with Katie. Three great final fights to round off a great introduction to women's boxing in the Olympics.

P.S. All of this "Britain claim Katie Taylor" nonsense is tiring. No, they didn't: some journalists made some silly mistakes. I'm sure Britain and British people have no interest in claiming one of our athletes as their own. People need to get over it.

It was not the 1st time and will not be the last time.

When Michelle Smith was winning Gold back in Atalanta the BBC swimming expert Sharron Davies tried to claim her as British

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It was not the 1st time and will not be the last time.

When Michelle Smith was winning Gold back in Atalanta the BBC swimming expert Sharron Davies tried to claim her as British

They are welcome to her now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

mikemac1 wrote: »
    They are welcome to her now
    Not for me. Her medals were legit. Don't care what happens afterwards.

Advertisement