Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

correcting a late exam

• 08-08-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I was talking to a friend of mine last night who worked in a school until 1st June and then went travelling. a pupil of hers was absent for her exam, but was allowed to resit it towards the end of June when they came back from holidays.

the school sent out the exams to my friends house to be corrected and was there waiting for her when she came back.

she is between two minds whether or not she is obliged to correct an exam after she finished working for the school. on the one hand it seems like a small thing, but on the other hand the school did not express any interest in taking her back in September and did not give any reason.

To me it seem a cheeky thing for a school to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭flatbackfour

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend of mine last night who worked in a school until 1st June and then went travelling. a pupil of hers was absent for her exam, but was allowed to resit it towards the end of June when they came back from holidays.

the school sent out the exams to my friends house to be corrected and was there waiting for her when she came back.

she is between two minds whether or not she is obliged to correct an exam after she finished working for the school. on the one hand it seems like a small thing, but on the other hand the school did not express any interest in taking her back in September and did not give any reason.

To me it seem a cheeky thing for a school to do.

Correct exam, what is is, twenty minutes work? Pop it back in the post and chill out and enjoy the rest of your summer.

That's what's I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ed06

Not a hope would I correct it. If the student could do his exam because they were on their holidays well then you def cant correct it because you are on yours. Im sure his report is well gone out by now anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭flatbackfour

ed06 wrote: »
    Not a hope would I correct it. If the student could do his exam because they were on their holidays well then you def cant correct it because you are on yours. Im sure his report is well gone out by now anyway!!!

Then again I'm finding myself agreeing with this post too.

I still would still correct it but understand above attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I wonder what the teachers of the pupil in question would do? probably wait until September to correct it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I think if they're not taking her back and she's looking for work for September, then she'll be reliant on them for a reference. In that case I'd correct it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

It's a bit rich now in fairness sending it in the post without mentioning it. I would correct it in any case and send the result into the school or put it on eportal or whatever.

It is something that should be addressed at a whole school level, obviously a school should facilitate where possible for illness and other unavoidable events but going on cheap holidays at the end of May before high season hardly deserves compassion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Correct exam, what is is, twenty minutes work? Pop it back in the post and chill out and enjoy the rest of your summer.

That's what's I would do.

This, although 4 minutes would do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think if they're not taking her back and she's looking for work for September, then she'll be reliant on them for a reference. In that case I'd correct it.

Reference is very important!

But.....just scan it and phone in a result. 2 mins work. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I got an exam emailed to me after the summer holidays had started. It was a miscommunication in fairness as the student in question was doing his exams on a laptop and forgot to send it to me before.
    I haven't marked it yet but I intend to. I'll give it back to him in September.

But then, I know I'm back (since I'm permanent) and he's a good kid but very disorganised (which part of the reason for the laptop).
    I'd be inclined to say mark it anyway though, just to improve your chances of a good reference.

RealJohn wrote: »
    I got an exam emailed to me after the summer holidays had started. It was a miscommunication in fairness as the student in question was doing his exams on a laptop and forgot to send it to me before.
    I haven't marked it yet but I intend to. I'll give it back to him in September.

But then, I know I'm back (since I'm permanent) and he's a good kid but very disorganised (which part of the reason for the laptop).
    I'd be inclined to say mark it anyway though, just to improve your chances of a good reference.

This I can understand. I pointed out to her that younger teachers are easy to exploit as they fear a bad reference. there is a fine line between standing up for yourself and letting yourself be treated like a doormat. I think she is peeved that she did the job to the best of her abilities but they showed no interest in taking her back.

I have heard that some schools only let you know at the end of August whether or not they have a job for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

What exam? I didn't get any exam.... *puts feet up and watches Olympics*

Seriously though, act like a doormat and you'll be treated like a doormat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I don't think it would be that bad to correct ONE exam! How long would it take you? Before the holidays, one of my students didn't perform as well as he did during the year so I gave him another copy of the exam to do at home and send it to me. I got it on the last day of the state exams - I still corrected it but had already sent home his original result. It didn't kill me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think that the school should must have a policy on it. (A week after, then that's the cut off unless serious illness etc., or else resit in the school in September). I know at the end of the day some teachers will correct and some won't but if there's no stated policy, then, when one teacher in a school does it then everyone has to do it or else look bad by not doing it (despite the fact that they might be on holidays in another country).

Also consider this.(heard from another teacher), student misses a few exams...asks for re sit at home etc. etc. etc. (don;t forget flights for holidays are cheaper during school term!)...But then what has happened out of this, is that the same parents have asked for practical dates to be moved the following year because it didn;t suit the son (weak reason again, there wasn;t any subject clashes etc)...

if parents start to view in-house exams as open to negotiation then the attempt to mimic LC and JC exam environment is pointless. (discounting views on teaching to the exam and all that)

Also, The fact that they are doing the exam at home!!! I wouldn't have even trusted myself to do an exam at home, even if I had had my Mum or Dad standing over me I would have gotten the questions off a friend or had a peek when they were'nt around (but that's just me,( or past version of me)).

I was asked to do it for a very very weak reason and said no for the above points I offered them that he could do it in September, interesting to see what happens). At the end of the day the parents concurred too. Parents could get a run down of students progress over the phone at the most.

But it's definitely one that must be hammered out in school policy or else it makes everyone look bad. I know there was one teacher that always allowed it during the Summer and most of the staff resented him for it, it started to creep in more and more then untill students and parents were taking the absolute mick. it stopped then when it was brought up at a staff meeting, but still no policy,, so it's starting to creep in again.

Sure there are exceptions but leave them up to the Principal/D.P.

But to just send it in the post without a call or note....that's insulting.. And the student was on holidays, did I read that right.. hold on a second... that teacher has also left that school.. I think I'd be sending it back for next years teacher to have a look at?

People who say "oh it's just the one", don't realise that a precedent is being set that affects everyone else. You are actually being more inconsiderate by correcting it.

Would you give one student free grinds during your lunch? Just because they were away on Holidays before the easter break?

Ah but it's just the one (never 'just the one' in Ireland)

I don't think it would be that bad to correct ONE exam! How long would it take you? Before the holidays, one of my students didn't perform as well as he did during the year so I gave him another copy of the exam to do at home and send it to me. I got it on the last day of the state exams - I still corrected it but had already sent home his original result. It didn't kill me!

i wonder would it work in another profession, where your contract is over and you are out of the job, your employer not having said yay, nay or even possibly about the chance of reemploying you. and then a month later they send you work, albeit about half an hours, but they expect you to do it and free of charge. In my experience principals would tell you around March whether or not you have a future in the school and I view the way she was treated here as rather shoddy.
    I would say let the next sub or their regular teacher do it.

the whole thing reminds me of when I was starting out and a parent walked into the school unannounced and wanted to speak with me. I was in class. she left but then she rang the school and the VP dragged me out of class to take the call. senior teachers would have told the VP where to get off, but this was new territory for me. It was not necessarily an urgent matter, but in some places parents click their fingers and you are expected to come running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

for the amount of time you've spent thinking about it and debating whether to correct exam or not, you'd probably have it corrected twice over and you could forget all about it. I'd just correct it, sigh about "whats the world coming to ..." and hope that if I need a favour from someone in the future, it'd be pay back.

That is different to with the OP stipulated.

If a student came to me and said sorry sir I was sick or we ill be away on hols can I take it later? There is forward planning in such cases and consideration is given of the teacher by being informed.

The OP stated no consideration was given to the teacher so it is purely at the decression of the teacher.

The teacher was not in work and is entitled to not have to correct the test if they so wish. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

for the amount of time you've spent thinking about it and debating whether to correct exam or not, you'd probably have it corrected twice over and you could forget all about it. I'd just correct it, sigh about "whats the world coming to ..." and hope that if I need a favour from someone in the future, it'd be pay back.

Even if all the other teachers in the school refused to do it yould still do it? Think about your actions, you are supposed to be on a team... Same as the phone call situation a few posts ago.. Do you think the other teachers on the staff would have minded

Shur its only one parent...
    Shur its only one phone call...
    Shur its only one exam...
    A precedent is being set whether you like it or not, and this does affect other teachers..

To suggest that a teacher wouldn't do it out of not wanting to spend the time correcting an exam is completely missing the point and disengenuous to teachers.

Heres another one.. Parent rings the school demanding to speak to a teacher...secretary says that hes in class at the moment, can I get him to call you back...parent says...How the hell can he ring me back, IM AT WORK!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

i wonder would it work in another profession, where your contract is over and you are out of the job, your employer not having said yay, nay or even possibly about the chance of reemploying you. and then a month later they send you work, albeit about half an hours, but they expect you to do it and free of charge. In my experience principals would tell you around March whether or not you have a future in the school and I view the way she was treated here as rather shoddy.
    I would say let the next sub or their regular teacher do it.
    Is her contract up or does it run until the end of August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I do agree to an extent that in the time you spent writing here it could have been done but thats besides the point.

Some people here (I will presume, maybe wrong) permanent or CID posters commenting about sticking with the whole staff etc. Again to an extent I agree with this but it is very easy to pass that comment when you are secure in a school.

So many people here need that good statement from a principal, need to stay on their good side to hopefully get any hours going next year. These teachers are under huge amounts of pressure not having a position and hoping for anything.
    We can say its terrible to be jumping to a principal's tune and how terrible it is that its got to this stage, and how people shouldn't give into principals like this, but again its easy to say all that when its not you in that position.

I am not criticising any particular posts but secure teachers must take into account if you were in those shoes you would want to do anything for that principal even though you shouldn't have to.

Without reading back I think I remember it was there waiting for the person when they got back from holidays, if this is the case possibly the principal tried to reach the person when they were away but could not.

The parents and principal are very cheeky to ask this but there could also be the possibility that it was a family that the parent could not get away during the summer no matter what irrelevant of money. I have a friend who is a surgeon and this is the case for him this year for whatever reason I don't fully understand he could only take holidays in April and at no other time.

My personal opinion would be correct it and send it back, it won't take long and the principal should remember your co-operation in the matter if something good comes up.

seavill wrote: »
    I do agree to an extent that in the time you spent writing here it could have been done but thats besides the point.

Some people here (I will presume, maybe wrong) permanent or CID posters commenting about sticking with the whole staff etc. Again to an extent I agree with this but it is very easy to pass that comment when you are secure in a school.

So many people here need that good statement from a principal, need to stay on their good side to hopefully get any hours going next year. These teachers are under huge amounts of pressure not having a position and hoping for anything.
    We can say its terrible to be jumping to a principal's tune and how terrible it is that its got to this stage, and how people shouldn't give into principals like this, but again its easy to say all that when its not you in that position.

I am not criticising any particular posts but secure teachers must take into account if you were in those shoes you would want to do anything for that principal even though you shouldn't have to.

Without reading back I think I remember it was there waiting for the person when they got back from holidays, if this is the case possibly the principal tried to reach the person when they were away but could not.

The parents and principal are very cheeky to ask this but there could also be the possibility that it was a family that the parent could not get away during the summer no matter what irrelevant of money. I have a friend who is a surgeon and this is the case for him this year for whatever reason I don't fully understand he could only take holidays in April and at no other time.

My personal opinion would be correct it and send it back, it won't take long and the principal should remember your co-operation in the matter if something good comes up.

I do not have a secure job but I would stand up for myself when required.
    If I thought I was being taken advantage I would say so and question what was being asked if me.

Anyway if the principal tried to contact the OP he/she should have left a note with the script.

What is required in these situations is a balance between common sense and respect, from all sides.

• Advertisement

RealJohn wrote: »
    Is her contract up or does it run until the end of August?

her contract ended on 1 June, which is why I find it cheeky. if she were being paid over the summer I would have advised her to do it but she is conscientious enough to know this.

Heres another one.. Parent rings the school demanding to speak to a teacher...secretary says that hes in class at the moment, can I get him to call you back...parent says...How the hell can he ring me back, IM AT WORK!!!![/QUOTE]

I have worked in some schools and parents were encouraged to come in whenever they pleased. No appointment necessary. no security door either. I think this is wrong.

mrboswell wrote: »
    I do not have a secure job but I would stand up for myself when required.
    If I thought I was being taken advantage I would say so and question what was being asked if me.

Anyway if the principal tried to contact the OP he/she should have left a note with the script.

What is required in these situations is a balance between common sense and respect, from all sides.

no note and she had had her phone with her on holidays so no phone call either.

no note and she had had her phone with her on holidays so no phone call either.

As I said common sense and respect. Neither shown by the school in this case.

Is your friend reliant on a reference?

If not inform the principal that you feel it is a little unfair considering the test was taken outside the valid date of you contract. It is something that the new contracted teacher can easily do. After all they will be responsible for the student now.

It the principal insists then inform he/she that the old contract is gone but that you will correct it for the hourly department rate with a minimum charge of one hour.

That should sort it out.

As I said common sense and respect. Neither shown by the school in this case.

Is your friend reliant on a reference?

If not inform the principal that you feel it is a little unfair considering the test was taken outside the valid date of you contract. It is something that the new contracted teacher can easily do. After all they will be responsible for the student now.

It the principal insists then inform he/she that the old contract is gone but that you will correct it for the hourly department rate with a minimum charge of one hour.

That should sort it out.

I am not sure if she is reliant on a reference from that particular school. there is an immense amount of pressure placed on young teachers to get a good reference. They will let themselves be exploited and stab other colleagues in the back.
    I notice some school want written references but they are not worth much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I am not sure if she is reliant on a reference from that particular school. there is an immense amount of pressure placed on young teachers to get a good reference. They will let themselves be exploited and stab other colleagues in the back.
    I notice some school want written references but they are not worth much.

Out of interest, what do you consider to be stabbing a colleague in the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

That should sort it out.

I certainly would not do this, I would say you could count on one hand the amount of unemployed teachers in this entire country that would actually do that, now they would be right to but no one is going to say that.
    They will let themselves be exploited and stab other colleagues in the back.

I think this is an extremely harsh statement to make. I would say that things people do are certainly not intentional stabbing colleagues in the back like some have suggested doing this putting pressure on other staff to do it. I would not class this as stabbing someone in the back.

Some people have no morals and whether permanent or temp will stab someone in the back for personal gain but thats a fact of life.

Linking something like that to temporary teachers is a very harsh thing to say.

You can look at things from the other side, young/old unemployed teachers have bills to pay, kids to feed themselves to feed etc. if getting a good reference from the last school helps you provide for all of this well I fell you would be well within your rights to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Very cheeky in my opinion. As I have my CID, I wouldn't do it. However, the school has your friend over a barrel as regards being rehired or a reference and if I were in her shoes, I'd probably do it out of fear of it going against me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

A lot has been said about needing the principal as a referee and putting yourself out to get good references... My most recent reference had so many grammatical and spelling mistakes that I felt like sending it back. The principal was previously an english teacher.

Still correct the exam! if a part time teacher makes a fuss over such a "small" request, it will be remembered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I would have sent it back...the reference that is!

Advertisement