Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in New York November time

• 08-08-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,
    Anyone ever been to NY November time? Whats the weather like?

Thanks in advance
    MC :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Really impossible to say (if you are planning your wardrobe). Not being funny but very simple answer is that It can hot or cold!

I was thare in early November last year and temps were generally around 18c and up to 21c the last day (T-shirt wether), however only the week before, there was snow with a max temp one day of 1c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Have to agree with Docarch. I was there in November and had drizzly rain the first day and the next few days we went around with no jackets on. One of the girls from work went 2 weeks later and had to buy the kids ski jackets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MC88

Thanks for the reply, not necessarily worried about planning my wardrobe(as i am buying a new one when i get there haha) more worried about snow and not being able to get to do touring around!! Thanks :)

Thanks Dovies!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow at that time of the year (in the city at least) does not tend to stick or last very long. You might get a bit of accumulation in Central Park but that would be about it at that time of year.

• Advertisement

Good, cause i was worried about that. I had it in my head that i would be snowed in for the whole week!!! Any recommendations on your favourite tourist sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

MC88 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, not necessarily worried about planning my wardrobe(as i am buying a new one when i get there haha) more worried about snow and not being able to get to do touring around!! Thanks :)

Aw now I want to go to New York too!! :(

Use the red tour bus Op. You can get a 72 hour ticket to hop on and off. We used as our shopping taxi as it went right by our hotel. Its great and you get to see most of the city

Dovies wrote: »
    Aw now I want to go to New York too!! :(

Use the red tour bus Op. You can get a 72 hour ticket to hop on and off. We used as our shopping taxi as it went right by our hotel. Its great and you get to see most of the city
    haha, I have been before in the summer but didnt have the best of experiences, now that i am going again, i really want to make the most of it. And im going to be there for thanks giving, something i always wanted to experience!! And of course, black friday!! Hoping to pick up some bargains :)

Any recommendations on your favourite tourist sites?

Go to the railway station and get the train to Philadelphia or Boston! I hate New York!!! :D Only joking (sort of).

One thing I always like doing is taking the Staten Island Ferry - gives you great views of Manhattan. Go see a show. Go on the big wheel in(side) Toys R Us! :) Go to Ellis Island (that's really good/interesting).

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Go to the railway station and get the train to Philadelphia or Boston! I hate New York!!! :D Only joking (sort of).

One thing I always like doing is taking the Staten Island Ferry - gives you great views of Manhattan. Go see a show. Go on the big wheel in(side) Toys R Us! :) Go to Ellis Island (that's really good/interesting).
    Brilliant, thanks for the great info :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Unless there was some kind of freak blizzard, new York can handle a bit of snow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Be prepared for wall to wall heavy rain this time of the year. Temperatures can be up to mid to high teens celsius or locally quoted in the 60s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

What part of the month are you planning to go? The first half of November is often reasonably warm in NYC, the average high is probably about 12-14 C and warmer days can easily break 20 C. The second half of the month sees the daytime average down around 8-10 C with mildest weather usually in the 15 to 18 C range. This is when it could snow a little, although last year it snowed on Oct 28th-29th. That was quite a rare event. Although it can rain hard in NYC, there is no real "rainy season" there like on the west coast, and you could easily get a week of dry weather too. The pattern at present favours a warmer than average November (and winter) in much of North America. If there is to be cold weather in an El Nino winter it usually comes near the end and rather briefly. The El Nino warm signal usually kicks in around mid-October so if this hot summer does ever reverse signal, it should go back to warmth by November.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

...of all the replies so far, M.T.s' is the most accurate. Pay attention to his!!! (I have lived in NYC since 6/73.)

What part of the month are you planning to go? The first half of November is often reasonably warm in NYC, the average high is probably about 12-14 C and warmer days can easily break 20 C. The second half of the month sees the daytime average down around 8-10 C with mildest weather usually in the 15 to 18 C range. This is when it could snow a little, although last year it snowed on Oct 28th-29th. That was quite a rare event. Although it can rain hard in NYC, there is no real "rainy season" there like on the west coast, and you could easily get a week of dry weather too. The pattern at present favours a warmer than average November (and winter) in much of North America. If there is to be cold weather in an El Nino winter it usually comes near the end and rather briefly. The El Nino warm signal usually kicks in around mid-October so if this hot summer does ever reverse signal, it should go back to warmth by November.
    Sorry for late reply, I am going there the 17th to the 25th Nov, thanksgiving time. I dont mind the rain as such, just afraid of snow. Not ideal for doing tourist things :) This is great information, thanks for your insight :)

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    ...of all the replies so far, M.T.s' is the most accurate. Pay attention to his!!! (I have lived in NYC since 6/73.)
    Jpmarn wrote: »
    Be prepared for wall to wall heavy rain this time of the year. Temperatures can be up to mid to high teens celsius or locally quoted in the 60s.

Invest in a jacket so, me thinks :)

Advertisement