Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry Paste for salmon tikka

Options
  • 08-08-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

I wanted to make this recipe from Jamie Oliver for Salmon tikka
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/quick-salmon-tikka-with-cucumber-yoghurt.

Patak’s tandoori curry paste is listed as an ingredient, I can't get this in my local supermarkets, would another paste work equally as well? I have Balti paste in my cupboard, there may have been tikka masala paste in the supermarket.[I don't fancy making my own!]

I understand tandoori should be 'drier' than other curries, so perhaps an alternative wont work as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭glennryan

Hi, have you tried any Asian food supply stores. they are your best bet for a large variety of pataks pastes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I use a number of different Pataks pastes on a regular basis.

You could definitely substitute the Balti paste. It wont taste exactly the same,
    but it sounds like it would be very nice anyway.

It wont look the same, as tandoori paste is very red, but you could
    mix the Balti paste with some paprika if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I would say the majority of Indian restaurants use Patak's pastes - they're kind of an industry standard - but if you can't get hold of them (I buy online, but then I cook a LOT of Indian food), you could substitute something like Tesco's Tandoori spice, mixed with a little oil - that should give you the right taste and colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

tandoori Salmon

2tbs plain yoghurt
    1 egg yoke
    2tbs cream
    1tsp ginger paste
    1tsp garlic paste
    2tsp ajwain seeds
    1tbs gramflour
    1/4tsp white pepper
    1/4tsp salt
    1tsp chilli powder
    1tsp lemon juice
    1/2tsp turmeric
    1tsp cumin powder

whisk all the ingredients together and marinade the salmon in it for at least 3 hours.
    cook @ 200 or fan oven 180 for 10 mins. remove from the oven and baste with melted butter. return to the oven for 2 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Red Rua

I found the paste in an Asian shop - thanks for the replies

Advertisement