Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question...

• 08-08-2012 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

A Paris law firm has been inundated with wealthy businessmen asking if they should leave France after President Francois Hollande vowed to impose a 75 per cent tax rate on income above one million euros.

If you were a millionare and this law was introduced in Ireland would you leave the country to save money?

I dont think I could, I'd rather pay that bit extra and live where I want so the money wouldnt be as important.

I'm curious to how many people would leave as everytime a debate comes up about taxes on the super rich, we're told they'd all leave so there is no point.

Would you... 55 votes

Stay and pay my way
    0% 0 votes
    Leave and save my money
    34% 19 votes
    Stay and get a dodgy accountant
    65% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

No, otherwise I wouldn't be able to criticise Bono for Holland etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd have my accountant creatively make my income appear as 999,990 euro.

No 75% tax for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Would probably also get Jimmy Carr's accountant's number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'd have my accountant creatively make my income appear as 999,990 euro.

No 75% tax for me!

i'd send you 10 euro and a wage slip just out of spite ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Muck that. That tax is just stupid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

So If I earn 1.1 million. Then I pay tax on the 100k?

How much would be taxed on the million is the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Better call Saul!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's a bit fecking extreme. Who'd want such a salary if they are going to be paying such a high rate of tax?

If I was able to move my job elsewhere and keep the same salary and cost of living kept me in the same luxury, I'd move on.
    foxyboxer wrote: »

Hmmm, I thought it'd be on the full amount, wasn't thinking along the lines of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

No I would pay my damn taxes and crib like fukc, but I am not greedy if I had over a mill I would be a happy man.

That's fcuking shocking.
    Yeh I'd probably seriously consider leaving. I'm not ever going to be in that position though so rest assured I'm staying put.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

If you have that much money then I don't see why you would mind being taxed so heavily, or perhaps they should reduce the percentage that the super-rich are taxed at. I don't want to hear that they are untouchable because otherwise they'll leave the country and I'm having my disability benefit cut every budget, assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

I'd be delighted to have to make this choice for real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This scare tactic is rolled out by the elites every time this is brought up for discussion

Honestly though you will see people who are earning 1.1 million suddenly declare their earnings as 0.9 million - they'll give the rest to charity or something else which is tax deductable.

It'll be totally legal.

The big ones though - I'd imagine they'll start moving their businesses out of the country.

If you earn 20 million and are used to it - would you want to suddenly be coming home with ONLY 5 million? Imagine the humiliation of only buying 1 new ferrari a year? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you earn 20 million and are used to it - would you want to suddenly be coming home with ONLY 5 million? Imagine the humiliation of only buying 1 new ferrari a year? :eek:

Or even worse, having to sell the Jet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Wow 75% is a lot of tax to pay. 3/4 of your dosh gone before you see it. I said I'd stay and pay my way but thinking of it now it would be hard especially if you didn't like the government and the way the country was run, straight away I'd think fcuk them and bail and/or find a loophole.

Do the French have other charges like water and property tax etc

Or even worse, having to sell the Jet :(

Not the jet! I banged my first playboy bunny in that jet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'd want at least two!

Wow 75% is a lot of tax to pay. 3/4 of your dosh gone before you see it. I said I'd stay and pay my way but thinking of it now it would be hard especially if you didn't like the government and the way the country was run, straight away I'd think fcuk them and bail and/or find a loophole.

Do the French have other charges like water and property tax etc

well the first million would be at 41% then anything after a million would be at 75%

yes the french have water and property taxes as far as i know too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

If you earned anything from 1m to 2/3m it might not be worth your while moving, seeing as you are only paying 75% on every cent after the initial 1m. However, if you earned 5m +, you would be handing over a ridiculously high percentage of your total income.

• Advertisement

davet82 wrote: »
    well the first million would be at 41% then anything after a million would be at 75%

Ah that's not half as bad.

Of course I would leave, I would be on the first plane out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Im sure theres a loophole that if you invest in property you're not taxed...

Ah that's not half as bad.

i agree but it seems we're in the minority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Don't think anyone should pay more of half their salary to the taxman, regardless of how much they earn.
    Its implicitly unfair that anyone else should earn more from my hard work than I do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Dodgy accountant. Worse case scenario I get caught and told "you're a bold boy" and I leave the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

If you were a millionare and this law was introduced in Ireland would you leave the country to save money?

I'd imagine there's a few millionaires who already spend more than 50% of the year abroad, to be declared as "non-residents" for tax purposes in Ireland.

There's plenty of contractors in the I.T. sector who set up a small company, get their income put through the company and only pay a minimum salary to themselves through that company. The rest of the money in their company is only taxed at the corporate rate, as opposed to income tax levels.

The rest of the money in their company is only taxed at the corporate rate, as opposed to income tax levels.

Is that not against the rules? How does that work from getting it from their company account to their personel account?

Don't think anyone should pay more of half their salary to the taxman, regardless of how much they earn.
    Its implicitly unfair that anyone else should earn more from my hard work than I do

Yeah but it's only 75% on amounts over 1 million. The first million is taxed at much less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

foxyboxer wrote: »

50% roughly in France.

They are earning the money, no government should be taking 75% of anything. That's simply not fair.

50% roughly in France.

They are earning the money, no government should be taking 75% of anything. That's simply not fair.

i agree it is unfair but there is a little part of me that thinks its fair that a little unfairness hits the top earners for a change (not that they wont find away around it)... i guess i'm just bitter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What if I have two houses, one in Germany, or somewhere similar, and the other in Ireland. If I claim the Irish one as my holiday home will I avoid this tax?

Knex. wrote: »
    What if I have two houses, one in Germany, or somewhere similar, and the other in Ireland. If I claim the Irish one as my holiday home will I avoid this tax?

in my hypothetical thread, the answer would be no, we'd burn your house down to the ground in Germany and hunt you like a dog :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Imagine:

You work 60-70 hour weeks.
    You make many decisions each day, each one equal to the importance of the entire output of other people.
    You have created xxx jobs.
    etc.

And then you're told "how ****ing dare you be successfull?!? You can pay extra".

Were I such a person, i'd sack the company, liquidate my assets, take my talents with me and leave.

French brain drain incoming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

in my hypothetical thread, the answer would be no, we'd burn your house down to the ground in Germany and hunt you like a dog :cool:

Dodgy accountant it is then :pac:

• Advertisement

CruelCoin wrote: »
    French brain drain incoming!

It would be nice if they drained their way over here :)

Advertisement