Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator marking barrel!

Options
  • 08-08-2012 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi

I am the proud owner of a spanking new Remington 700 in .243 and a moderator to go with it! Been using it a bit recently to get a bit of practice in etc and have noticed that the moderator is marking the end of the barrel when I attach/detach it!

Small rings are appearing on the barrel, anyone else have this prob or know a way to resolve it/ stop it from happening?

Regards
    Eamon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

in the barrel:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

landkeeper wrote: »
    in the barrel:eek:

Sorry meant "on" the end of the barrel (about 3 inches down)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Is it a T8?

They are known for taking the blueing off the barrel where the mod stops coming down over the barrel.

Friend picked up his second hand and it had the mark on it from the T8 on it.

I read on another forum that they milled out the insider of the buffer to it wouldnt be touching the barrel to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What moderator is it?

Vegeta wrote: »
    What moderator is it?

Hi
    Yeah it's a t8 mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I had same issue with last rifle and swore never again. Mines a 243 aswell. Barrel is blued and don't have or never will have a scratch. Put your T8 on a lathe and re-drill the bushing out to a wider diameter. No need to worry how much you take off but insure you drill it very gently as bushing will jam so tight you won't get it off. I had bushing off mine and when mod was then fastened to barrel there was zero play so I knew my plan was going to work. Rub bushing with emery cloth to take any plastic burrs off. Every time you fit the mod to your rifle get a piece of paper and wrap around barrel and place T8 bushing in line with it. As you feed it/sleeve it down the barrel keep the paper under bushing even when your tightening it. When thats done whip out the paper and thats that. No scratches ever again. My barrel is like the day it was made. Hope you find this useful as it was a big success for me.

Tanks all, 4200 will have a look at that in the morning, thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

AS above the only purpose of the bushing is to keep the mod centered if it comes loose.
    Open it out and job done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Hi wexfordman. Did the that work for you?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

ASE happy days ;)

• Advertisement

Chesapeake wrote: »
    ASE happy days ;)
    Sorry gents, didn't get a chance to look yet, good weather had me out camping with the family!

Advertisement