Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VEC question

• 08-08-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I have recently been redeployed to a new centre , I am being asked to deliver 6 Level 4 FETAC Components plus Leaving Cert Accountancy , 3 of which I have never delivered before.

All this is to be delivered in 18 hrs tutoring , the leaving cert course is over 1 year also, I have made them aware I think it is too much and that they have given me very little time to prepare , and have been informed it's non negotiable , opinions please ????????? TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

maxximus wrote: »
    I have recently been redeployed to a new centre , I am being asked to deliver 6 Level 4 FETAC Components plus Leaving Cert Accountancy , 3 of which I have never delivered before.

All this is to be delivered in 18 hrs tutoring , the leaving cert course is over 1 year also, I have made them aware I think it is too much and that they have given me very little time to prepare , and have been informed it's non negotiable , opinions please ????????? TIA

Been there. You are right to make it very clear to them about your lack of experience etc in the area. Full marks there. That's your back covered. Could you look at it as a challenge for you to up your game? That's what I did. I won't lie and say it wasn't stressful - it was - but I realised soon enough that I was still the most knowledgeable person in the classroom. It got easier, I got more knowledgeable and I got more confident.

After a week or so you'll be grand. Maybe even after day 1 if you're lucky! Much of your stress is probably not knowing how much you have to know or overestimating what you have to know.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Make it very clear to them what you believe to be the potential problems and outline this to them right away.

But really you probably have no choice but to deliver the course. Just cover yourself though. But I wouldn't say it's bullying though. They are just looking to get the most out of you and make their cetre as atractive as possible to students.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭maxximus

I am happy to deliver all the components , just the amount of time I have to prepare is a bit stressful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

maxximus wrote: »
    I am happy to deliver all the components , just the amount of time I have to prepare is a bit stressful!

Don't you have another two weeks or so to prepare? You could get a heap of stuff done in that timeframe. Even do lesson plans until the mid-term when you'll have a much better grasp of what's required. But definitely get as much of the work out of the way now.

Perhaps start with the subject you are most worried about because you seem (I could be wrong) a bit overwhelmed by its perceived requirements and are possibly stressing yourself out by overestimating them. Then again that's how I felt before teaching a new subject and once I got to grips with preparing the actual requirements of the course it was much less stressful than it was when I was just thinking about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have changed the title of the thread to something that's less likely to get people in trouble should the VEC take offence to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

There is not a chance you would be able to cover the LC Accounting course in one year. It's hard enough to teach it over 2!

Advertisement