Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady GaGa is overrated

Options
  • 08-08-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one that doesn't get Lady GaGa?

Her image is also A LOT more important in making her successful than her music, I know you could say that about anyone but who else wears a meat dress?

She gets a lot of hype and many people seem to hail her as the best modern day pop star. She may be better than Nikki Manaj, Ke$ha et al but those are all the crap pop acts so it wouldn't be difficult to be superior to them.

I mean sure she co-writes most of her own stuff but so does Katy Perry, Beyonce etc and GaGa seems to be held in higher regard than most of them, despite the fact a lot of her music is rehashed, modern-style Madonna songs.

Beyonce can co-ordinate singing and dancing (which not a lot of people can do), and like GaGa has a good voice and is a songwriter, but most people who hate her still like GaGa.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aisps

karaokeman wrote: »

Her image is also A LOT more important in making her successful than her music, I know you could say that about anyone but who else wears a meat dress?

She gets a lot of hype and many people seem to hail her as the best modern day pop star. She may be better than Nikki Manaj, Ke$ha et al but those are all the crap pop acts so it wouldn't be difficult to be superior to them.

I mean sure she co-writes most of her own stuff but so does Katy Perry, Beyonce etc and GaGa seems to be held in higher regard than most of them, despite the fact a lot of her music is rehashed, modern-style Madonna songs.

Beyonce can co-ordinate singing and dancing (which not a lot of people can do), and like GaGa has a good voice and is a songwriter, but most people who hate her still like GaGa.

Discuss.
    "co-writes most of her stuff" she ****ing writes every single one of her ****ing songs! She is an amazing and inspirational person to many! Better than ****ty perry! And she has directed a couple of her music videos and helps with the choreography!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Discuss.

Do people really like Lady Gaga more than Beyonce? Beyonce has never had a bad song IMO and Gaga is hit and miss at best. I like both but I would say that Beyonce is in a completely different league to Gaga. Beyonce can dance and has a brilliant voice whereas Gaga relies on gimmick-y stuff to get by. To sum up; yes I think Gaga is overrated.
    "co-writes most of her stuff" she ****ing writes every single one of her ****ing songs! She is an amazing and inspirational person to many! Better than ****ty perry! And she has directed a couple of her music videos and helps with the choreography!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fame#Track_listing Have a look at that. She's not listed as the sole writer for any of the songs on The Fame Monster. So there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Discuss.

Ya the rehashing of every image Madonna did for the last 20 years got old fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Her music just sounds like all the other pop stuff in the charts. I read recently that scientists proved that pop music has been getting more homogenous and louder in the past 50 years. Lady Gaga's material seems to play into that. Decidely meh/I don't care about LG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

For a girl who can sing, play and write her own material, I don't know why she relies so much on ridiculous costumes, over-blown stage productions and over-produced music and videos to augment her talent. I think she's actually a genuinely talented artist who works hard, but she doesn't need all the other stuff. It just distracts from her talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

For a girl who can sing, play and write her own material, I don't know why she relies so much on ridiculous costumes, over-blown stage productions and over-produced music and videos to augment her talent. I think she's actually a genuinely talented artist who works hard, but she doesn't need all the other stuff. It just distracts from her talent.

I wonder could it be something to with her being a bit of a plain Jane when it comes to natural looks. It might be an insecurity she has, so she feels like she has to be as extravagant as possible.

Doubt she's that great at writing her own material or she wouldn't have been dropped by def jam.

Think her songs are more down to her producers, red one and the like.

Doubt she's that great at writing her own material or she wouldn't have been dropped by def jam.

Think her songs are more down to her producers, red one and the like.

She's written a good bit of pop music over the years. She was a hired songwriter for pop stars before she was famous. She's written for Britney Spears, Fergie and the Pussycat Dolls. She's capable of writing a pop tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Aisps wrote: »

Katy Perry's music may be no more different than other pop in the charts, but like GaGa she does some of the choreography in her stage shows, and wrote many songs for record companies during her 7-year hiatus following the failure of her gospel album.

Interestingly I was also reading about the work done by scientists at the Spanish National Research Council, the link is below;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jul/27/pop-music-sounds-same-survey-reveals

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

She goes on about being "an artist" and how she has this big art collective all around her. But then she releases unbelievably formulaic trite pop music that a 7 year old would listen to.

Bjork - now there's a REAL artist. Take notes, Lady Gaga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

A bit like Prince in that regard, except he's way more talented obviously

She's written a good bit of pop music over the years. She was a hired songwriter for pop stars before she was famous. She's written for Britney Spears, Fergie and the Pussycat Dolls. She's capable of writing a pop tune.

What good pop tunes did she write before she met red one?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Lady_Gaga

Her career started when she met him.

I mean Britney Spears apparently wrote and composed "Everytime" all by herself, so I take the whole writing pop songs themselves thing not very seriously.

""... Like with “Everytime” I wrote the whole thing from scratch on the piano. Musically there was no track or anything. I was just at my house and I did the whole thing by myself. And then I went and I played it for [Guy Sigsworth] and I just basically told him exactly how I wanted the song to sound. And he was so amazing because there's a lot of producers you tell them things and they don't get it. And you're like oh, that's not the right way. He got it just right. He was amazing. And so that song specifically, you know, I did everything."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everytime#Background_and_writing

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

she's a poor grace jones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Bjork - now there's a REAL artist. Take notes, everyone else who ever tries to make music ever.

FTFY ;)

Björk is one of the greatest pop musicians ever. In my opinion, surpassed only by musicians like Xenakis, Stravinsky, Ligeti, etc. But then that's probably an unfair comparison. For pop musicians, Björk is nigh-on untouchable.

RikkFlair wrote: »
    A bit like Prince in that regard, except he's way more talented obviously

Obviously he is.
    She goes on about being "an artist" and how she has this big art collective all around her. But then she releases unbelievably formulaic trite pop music that a 7 year old would listen to.

Bjork - now there's a REAL artist. Take notes, Lady Gaga.

That's kinda an unfair comparison. Bjork is a little more than a pop star. As far as pop stars go, Lady Gaga is somewhat talented. Definitely more so than a lot of pop stars of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aelune

I don't really think she's over-rated or means to be. It's her fan-base. She has a mostly very young fan-base and so they fuel her exposure online. The only thing that irritates me about GaGa is her 'little monster' thing. Don't get it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

aelune wrote: »
    The only thing that irritates me about GaGa is her 'little monster' thing. Don't get it really.

Is her 'little monster' her penis?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

rcaz wrote: »
    FTFY ;)

Björk is one of the greatest pop musicians ever. In my opinion, surpassed only by musicians like Xenakis, Stravinsky, Ligeti, etc. But then that's probably an unfair comparison. For pop musicians, Björk is nigh-on untouchable.

sorry but IMHO..
    bjork id nothing more than a shouty little overhyped mouthy untalented shortarse, who got lucky and has lived off it since.

I really REALLY dont like her, or couldn't you guess ;)!
    co incidentally, I sat behind her on a flight to london once, and how the crew didnt smack her was unreal. I wanted to smack her, with all her demands for food, alcohol etc etc. She wore a "snorkel jacket"(with the hood up) onto the plane with HUGE sunglasses underneath the hood.she had her "entourage" drag massive cases cases onto the plane and then started a row when told they would have to go in the hold !!!

oh...and LadyGaGa........meh !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Gaga belongs in the same league as Madonna... barely relevant pop acts that won't leave any musically important legacy except for kitschy singles and high budget, ott music videos.

Bjork is a class apart. Voice, lyrics, the inventiveness. She just outclasses them in every department apart from demographic appeal. Pretentious as it might sound, I don't really think she belongs in this discussion.

Kold wrote: »
    Gaga belongs in the same league as Madonna... barely relevant pop acts that won't leave any musically important legacy except for kitschy singles and high budget, ott music videos.

Bjork is a class apart. Voice, lyrics, the inventiveness. She just outclasses them in every department apart from demographic appeal. Pretentious as it might sound, I don't really think she belongs in this discussion.

Madonna has sold 300,000,000 records. So I don't think the barely relevant counts. She's still very much relevant to gay audiences and long time followers. From what you're writing I also don't think you've ever made the effort to examine some of Madonna's past material more carefully too. She shows amazing innovation. Granted not as much innovation these days but from 1994 - 2003 she was on fire. Björk also worked for Madonna.

• Advertisement

aelune wrote: »
    Madonna has sold 300,000,000 records.

Well that's clearly 300 million points on the artistic merit scale.

Well that's clearly 300 million points on the artistic merit scale.

I'm not judging her merit based on what she's sold - I'm just pointing out her astronomical relevance. Huge fashion companies still seek out her face to this day for her campaigns so you're definitely jaded on that front.

Her merit is subjective really, why do people bother argue about something that's subjective. Who knows? You might think Cilla Black is art...I mightn't...who's right and who's wrong. One thing is for sure and it is my standing opinion of Madonna. She has produced some incredibly innovative work with some fascinating people. Steven Klein, Björk, Jonas Akerlund, Steven Meisel, Herb Ritts ... the list goes on.

You're one of those people that attacks without any real substance. You attack Madonna because you're ignorant to her work. Just go check out some of her material before you come all high and mighty trying to belittle others that do enjoy her.

Perhaps I am. Simply enough, I've heard a fair bit and I haven't heard anything from her that makes me want to trawl her bibliography but if you will be kind enough to provide examples, hopefully some youtube links, I'll promise that I'll give them a look. I honestly don't think she's capable of anything close to touching albums like Post or Homogenic.
    Huge fashion companies still seek out her face to this day for her campaigns so you're definitely jaded on that front.

I don't really see what that has to do with musical output. I think you're a little over offended here, I said we need to keep like with like, and GaGa has a lot in common with Madonna in terms of making fashionable pop music which, in my humble opinion, is often kitschy trash, listen to whatever you want though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

When Gaga first started out, I loved her. Loved, loved, loved her. The Fame is a great pop album imo, and the 8 tracks for the Fame Monster were great too (although I hate when artists reissue old albums with a few new tracks but that's neither here nor there).

Saw her in the Marquee in 2009, absolutely amazing gig.

She started to believe her own hype I think... She was pretty pretentious at the start but it just grew worse and worse. Saw her then again in 2010 at the O2, was not that impressed.

The last album was just terrible. The lyrics for Born This Way for example. Jesus, a gay friend of mine showed me those when the song first came out and I cringed for him. The only song I really liked on that album was You and I.

She's a great singer, good pop songwriter, but she needs to stop all the ****e about little monsters, gays etc, go back to basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Since when has Bjork been a pop artist? Her songs never feature in the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

rcaz wrote: »
    FTFY ;)

I only got into her in the last few years; never bothered before, pretty much due to my only knowledge of her music being 'It's Oh So Quiet' (when it came out and I was 10 :P ). Saw Ed Droste somewhere saying his favourite album was Vespertine, so gave it a whirl: As soon as I heard the Verklärte Nacht quotation in Hidden Place I was hooked like it was meth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

MrTrebus wrote: »
    sorry but IMHO..
    bjork id nothing more than a shouty little overhyped mouthy untalented shortarse, who got lucky and has lived off it since.
    Clearly you haven't a clue about her. Or else you're just making up the above based on disliking her due to her behaviour, which in fairness isn't of relevance to her output.
    If you don't like her output, of course that's your personal preference, but resorting to making stuff up is unnecessary.
    It's like when people who hate U2 say Bono can't sing. Obviously he can. Disliking his voice doesn't change that fact.

Lady GaGa is the same type of thing as Rihanna and Katy Perry in terms of music, but with weirder clothes. Some catchy if generic numbers though, IMO.

Madonna was a hugely important artist - that's just a fact, nothing subjective about it.

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

I don't get her much either, I think she does just rip of Madonna alot and yes I think she can sing but I don't think many people like her because of her voice. Beyonce has a far better voice and her ability to preform is 10x better than GaGa. People are entitled to their own opinions of her though..

Perhaps I am. Simply enough, I've heard a fair bit and I haven't heard anything from her that makes me want to trawl her bibliography but if you will be kind enough to provide examples, hopefully some youtube links, I'll promise that I'll give them a look. I honestly don't think she's capable of anything close to touching albums like Post or Homogenic.

I don't really see what that has to do with musical output. I think you're a little over offended here, I said we need to keep like with like, and GaGa has a lot in common with Madonna in terms of making fashionable pop music which, in my humble opinion, is often kitschy trash, listen to whatever you want though.

In fairness, Madonna is probably the most influential female popstar of all time. She is incredibly relevant when you look at the legions of female popstars to come after her who all try to emulate her. I'm not really surprised that Gaga and the likes aspire to be like her in the pop genre given how successful she's been and the longevity she has sustained. However, while Madonna is an incredibly media saavy woman, great at marketing herself and has a knack for picking out a tune, Gaga has a lot more going for herself than that. She is without doubt more talented across the board.

Speaking of good Madonna tunes - Justify My Love is a very interesting track. Definitely my favourite Madonna song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

I think it's great that she is so supportive of gay rights, and it's always nice to have a pop star outside of the big tits, suggestive lyrics mold (Katy Perry's "Peacock" is one of the worst pop songs I have ever heard, but people eat that **** up), but I do think Gaga's pretentiousness outstrips what she's actually doing musically. She's a brilliant brand, though, and she knows how to keep people interested outside of merely listening to her music, and that's what's really important in the pop music world. Do you think Sean "P. Puff Diddy Daddy" Combs (or whatever he's calling himself at this point) made his hundreds of millions on his rapping ability?

-Tyler

Advertisement