Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (WEEK 22) August 10-13 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

Meanwhile in the First Division Finn Harps upset the odds and win in Longford. Kevin McHugh you legend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Madworld wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh about the handball on the line at the end? It was a blatant penalty and red card. Rogers tried his hardest to give you all the points.

Good . As i said you have had a massive amount of **** decisions go your way against us over the years so it makes the win even sweeter :D delighted .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

born2bwild wrote: »
    The ref gave Shels a peno and then the same lino overruled it (it would have been a harsh decision had it not been overruled but the handball was inside box)
    Bad officiating. No argument there.

The bizarre thing about it was when the ref changed his mind was that he gave us a free about 5 yeards outside the box as if admitting how clueless his original decision was. Bizarre to say the least. :confused:

Roll on the end of the season. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

We were very very poor in the first half, you could tell we weren't on our game from the start. Thought we fought back well in 2nd half and maybe deserved something. Possibly should have had a peno. Our own player blocks the ball going into the Drogheda net :mad:

Very frustrating to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

rmchmufc wrote: »
    Meanwhile in the First Division Finn Harps upset the odds and win in Longford. Kevin McHugh you legend :D
    yeah those 3 disallowed goals fecked us up...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

SligoFacts :)

Think if the visitors get the opening goal, it could get ugly. 1-2 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dfx- wrote: »
    Radiohead was a happy-go-lucky pop band until they visited Sligo
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Couple of decent games on tonight for anyone at a loose end.

Think we will be chasing shadows for a lot of the game down in the Cross. Another draw likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

SligoFacts :)

Think if the visitors get the opening goal, it could get ugly. 1-2 I think.

Talk about obsessive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

So its 1-0 to the Bit o Red at half time,Quiggs on 32.

Sligo one up at h-t and on top judging by the updates on Extratime.

Sounds like there is a decent crowd in Tallaght?

frantic190 wrote: »
    Sounds like there is a decent crowd in Tallaght?

Polite crowd in Cork according to Extratime. :D

1-1 now in tallaght

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cracking atmosphere and two cracking goals here in Tallaght.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Commentary for the Cork - Pat's match from Pat's fans.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/st-pats-live-commentary

One nil to Pat's. Christy Fagan.

Pat's win one nil. A massive win. We really need to follow that up now by beating Bray at home on friday night!

Looking like a good night for Pat's if the game in Tallaght finishes a draw.

1-1 full time in tallaght

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Our limitations were there for all to see tonight. No argument with the result. We could have been playing just the SPA keeper tonight and still would not have had a shot on target.

Bring on next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sligo dominated the first half, Rovers did not even look in contention at half time, deservedly losing 1-0 and maybe lucky not to be more, Jansson pulled off a fantastic save and Millien (?) was looking quite dangerous for Sligo. Rovers came out looking much better in the second half, moving the ball around quicker and pinning Sligo deeper into their own half, Finns goal was superb (as was Quigleys btw). Overall would say a draw was a fair result, game of two halves really. Cracking atmosphere and big turn out, good advert for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Great advertisement for the league on Setanta tonight, great game!

I'll take the point but we should have been up by more at HT. Shame about Pascals final ball and slipping a few times, but he is going to keep improving with every game. I hope he is offered a new contract and wants to stay.

Two cracking goals as well.

Not to put a dampener on the evening, but I was sure I heard some racist abuse directed towards Pascal at one point. It seems that whenever a black player gets on the ball against Shams a small few of their fans decide that then is the best time to chant "hoops". Just because you say hoops doesn't make it racist lads, we know your intentions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

gimmick wrote: »
    Our limitations were there for all to see tonight. No argument with the result. We could have been playing just the SPA keeper tonight and still would not have had a shot on target.

Bring on next season.

Definitely didn't deserve to lose that. Were the better team but yet again zero cutting edge up front. We create chances but nothing seems to be going in.

It's a pity that the "great advertisement for the league" was on Setanta Sports 1 so only about 5 people in the country could watch it.

Terrific game in Tallaght, but not a whole lot of goalmouth action, yet two cracking goals. About 5,000 in attendance I'd say and a large queue at the Sligo turnstile..

Fair result, I wouldn't have had Quigley MOTM though. He was a passenger in the second half. Possible turning point was Jansson's save late in the first half. Milien was terrorising Hawkins, Ventre was marshalling Finn well early on, Finn turned the game, Rice was excellent in the second half - all candidates above Quigley for me.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Not to put a dampener on the evening, but I was sure I heard some racist abuse directed towards Pascal at one point. It seems that whenever a black player gets on the ball against Shams a small few of their fans decide that then is the best time to chant "hoops". Just because you say hoops doesn't make it racist lads, we know your intentions!

:confused:

Where to start with something like that. :rolleyes:

Is it ok if I eat a banana after 4pm on Friday?

About 5,000 in attendance I'd say and a large queue at the Sligo turnstile..
    Only two gates open and one 'ticket only' even though ye refused to sell us tickets for some reason.

Good game. Point was probably fair enough though I thought at half time we'd win it easily. Second half was about as good as Shams have played all season. Even Gilbert looked like a footballer for a while.

Janson's save from Boco at the end of the first half was top class. If we got that second goal I think they really would have fallen apart second half.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Where to start with something like that. :rolleyes:

Is it ok if I eat a banana after 4pm on Friday?

Oh please, it's obvious as hell what they are insinuating! I've seen it in the past as well. 24 minutes into it, there is a miscommunication between Millien and Conneely, Millien gets a cheer for his mistake followed by a round of "hoops hoops hoops hoooops".

It happened up there last year or the year before with one of our players, I forget who now. We've all seen the clip from TG4 with Joey on the ball for Bohs. It's not a coincidence that the hoops chant, that sounds like monkey noises, starts when there is a black guy on the ball. It's the perfect cover for the few racists in the crowd though.

I'm not trying to make a big thing out of it, but it shouldn't be swept under the rug either.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10041220

Both goals at the 18.30min mark. Both defences standing off the strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hate Shamrock as much as the next man Oatsey, but that is fairly clutching at straws tbh.

Vintage LoI reffing from last Friday's Shels-UCD game. :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10041192

Go to 0:32:25.

Corholio wrote: »
    Definitely didn't deserve to lose that. Were the better team but yet again zero cutting edge up front. We create chances but nothing seems to be going in.

Didn't deserve to win it either tbh.

Our lack of creativity is frightening. And our players seem reluctant to shoot. Davin is especially culpable here, he takes an extra touch or 2 far too often, giving defenders time and thats the end of the attack.

We have a young promising squad, and hopefully Tommy continues to blood the likes of Lenihan, Kenny and O Connell for the next few weeks. Our season is over bar the cup, so no harm in starting building for next season now.

If there is any money available, we need 2 new strikers, a creative midfielder and 2 new wingers. Horgan needs a bit of competition. Thats pie in the sky though as they money is not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Vintage LoI reffing from last Friday's Shels-UCD game. :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10041192

Go to 0:32:25.

Absolutely unbelievable decision. Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Last nights game was a strange strange affair. Sligo by far the better team in the first half. 1-0 at the half was a fair reflection although it could easily have been 2-0 only for Oscar's excellent save from Boco.

Second half Rovers were the better team and that is the best we've played all season. What was noticeable was that in the 1st half we let Sligo play the ball around and Joey and Quigley ran the show. The 2nd half we pressed a lot higher up the pitch, going with two up front helped a lot and Sligo didn't look comfortable on the ball at all at the back and started to hoof it a bit. First time this season I've seen Sligo resort to time wasting.

1-1 was a fair result I thought and two great goals from Quigley and Finn.

On the downside I complete disagree with a previous posters comment that Gilbert looked like a player in the 2nd half, he didn't, he has never looked even close to a player. Also I was sitting right beside the singing section and didn't hear any racist chanting from Rovers fans. The song hoops, was sang pretty much all through the game and considering that Sligo started last night with 3 black players the likelihood of one of those players being on the ball at the same time the chant was going is pretty high. You also do realise Rovers also had a black player start? So when he was on the ball while we were sining hoops were we being racist to him also or just the Sligo players?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

iregk wrote: »
    Last nights game was a strange strange affair. Sligo by far the better team in the first half. 1-0 at the half was a fair reflection although it could easily have been 2-0 only for Oscar's excellent save from Boco.

Second half Rovers were the better team and that is the best we've played all season. What was noticeable was that in the 1st half we let Sligo play the ball around and Joey and Quigley ran the show. The 2nd half we pressed a lot higher up the pitch, going with two up front helped a lot and Sligo didn't look comfortable on the ball at all at the back and started to hoof it a bit. First time this season I've seen Sligo resort to time wasting.

1-1 was a fair result I thought and two great goals from Quigley and Finn.

On the downside I complete disagree with a previous posters comment that Gilbert looked like a player in the 2nd half, he didn't, he has never looked even close to a player. Also I was sitting right beside the singing section and didn't hear any racist chanting from Rovers fans. The song hoops, was sang pretty much all through the game and considering that Sligo started last night with 3 black players the likelihood of one of those players being on the ball at the same time the chant was going is pretty high. You also do realise Rovers also had a black player start? So when he was on the ball while we were sining hoops were we being racist to him also or just the Sligo players?

IMO, Gilbert was far more effective in the first half. Looked really dominant where, after HT, he was caught on the break far too many times, and made dicey decisions under pressure.

All due respect, but the racism claim is ridiculous. That emphatic 'hoops' chant happens every bloody game, regardless of what colour the players on the field are.

1-1 a fair result, delighted by some things like the crowd clearly taking to Jansson, disappointed that Twigg looked totally isolated - and not that pushed on getting into the game. Oh, and Killian Brennan is a waste of human skin.

Gilbert looked a far better player than Twigg last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

geeky wrote: »
    IMO, Gilbert was far more effective in the first half. Looked really dominant where, after HT, he was caught on the break far too many times, and made dicey decisions under pressure.

He really didn't. Sligo clearly targeted him as the majority of their attacks were down his side. He was beaten and turned way too easily. He did make some good recovering tackles I'll give him that but his positioning and awareness of general play is alarmingly bad. He also can't pass a ball to save his life.

Agree with Myth though. Our worst player last night was Twigg. He was shockingly bad. If SK has any backbone he should drop him and give Killduff a run.

Despite losing I thought that was our best home display of the season. We actually dominated possession for long periods, something we have failed to do at the Cross. Having Gearóid Morrissey back in there was a big help.

Don't think Pats fans would have had much to complain about if we had won the game.

Bar McNulty I thought we were solid at the back. Decent in midfield despite being outnumbered.

We're missing a top striker to turn our good play into goals. Davin almost scored a beauty but too often he takes that extra touch.

• Advertisement

Have ye tried Horgan up front? Always struck me as a player who could do well there in this league.

I do not want to be glass half empty, but SPA allowed us have possession for long periods as they knew we would do feck all with it.

In defense I thought Dan Murray was back to his best, or close to and Kev Murray looked pretty solid. But Danny Murphy gets caught out of position far too often which drags a centre half out.

We didn't play badly by any means, but thats the 3rd home game in a row without a single shot on target (our goal against Bohs was a deflected cross).

Re Horgan upfront - I honestly think he would be wasted up there. And given how thin our squad is, we would have nobody to fill in at left wing.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Have ye tried Horgan up front? Always struck me as a player who could do well there in this league.

I could see him as someone playing off the front man. Clever player.

Don't see him as a centre forward though.

Des wrote: »
    I hate Shamrock as much as the next man Oatsey, but that is fairly clutching at straws tbh.

That's grand, our opinions differ. I just see it as racism. My opinion isn't born out of hatred for them, I've heard it and seen it with my own eyes. I'd feel the exact same way no matter who it was doing it. If others want to give them the benefit of the doubt then fine, but I am not going to believe for a second that it is a coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

To those of us tasked with dealing with racism in football (and it exists, at least at the same level as it does in the general population somewhere with the socio economic and immigration profile of Tallaght) the above does not help. It simply allows people to dismiss all anti-racists as warped point scoring internet cranks.

Was a good game to watch, Sligo should go on to deservedly lift the league trophy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

CiaranC wrote: »
    To those of us tasked with dealing with racism in football (and it exists, at least at the same level as it does in the general population somewhere with the socio economic and immigration profile of Tallaght) the above does not help. It simply allows people to dismiss all anti-racists as warped point scoring internet cranks.

Was a good game to watch, Sligo should go on to deservedly lift the league trophy now.

Don't know, if the hatred against Shamrock Rovers is more a regional question, rather than racism? Northside against Southside?

The match between Bohemians and Rovers has a good reputation in Germany, and it's always mentioned, that the River Liffey is the reason for the rivalry.

Anway...maybe Shels can do a little bit next Friday to prevent Sligo from clinching the title :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

AgileMyth wrote: »

Tried him up front against Derry and were 2-0 down at half time. Our problem is definitely an out and out striker, we already have 2 strikers who drop back too much so Daryl there would just be another one.

geeky wrote: »

He was shocking in the 2nd half, nearly bumping into Jansson after dropping deep and playing Milien onside, dropping deep as the rest pushed up and then barging into Sives as he headed the ball back. I think it's clear Sives doesn't like playing with him and the communication between the two was at best strained if at all. He must be a nightmare for assistant referees trying to judge where the last defender was :D

Twigg hasn't been the same since the goals against Shels, where he looked to be really enjoying scoring the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

He was shocking in the 2nd half, nearly bumping into Jansson after dropping deep and playing Milien onside, dropping deep as the rest pushed up and then barging into Sives as he headed the ball back. I think it's clear Sives doesn't like playing with him and the communication between the two was at best strained if at all. He must be a nightmare for assistant referees trying to judge where the last defender was :D

Twigg hasn't been the same since the goals against Shels, where he looked to be really enjoying scoring the goals.

It's really frustrating, because Gilbert has all the tools to be a very capable FB in this league if he only got his head right. To go from playing in the CL group stage for Arsenal to second choice for a mid-table LOI side is some bloody fall from grace.

Yeah, Twigg looks seriously off the pace. Lot of people are attributing it to his contract but, TBH, I think he's also fairly knackered from being so isolated in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I have only been to a handful of games this year (trying to get back into it) but personally don't think Gilbert was that bad on Monday, he did nearly make an almighty cock up for the goal and at times he positioning was very suspect, but considering Sligo had targeted him as a weak spot I don't think he performed terribly. Made a few great tackles in the first half and dealt with most that came at him, 2nd have I thought he got forward quite well and offered width down the right when the winger came inside, even though his final ball wasn't always good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Don't know, if the hatred against Shamrock Rovers is more a regional question, rather than racism? Northside against Southside?

The match between Bohemians and Rovers has a good reputation in Germany, and it's always mentioned, that the River Liffey is the reason for the rivalry.

Anway...maybe Shels can do a little bit next Friday to prevent Sligo from clinching the title :D

Really?

• Advertisement
Advertisement