Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone getting electronics produced in Asia

Options
  • 08-08-2012 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi folks,
    I am looking for some real information (and contacts) about producing a new electronics-based (already prototyped) product in Asia. I have seen many sites, etc. that look really appealing in terms of cost for batches of 1000 but how can I verify if these companies really exist and are reputable and can produce the quality I need?

Is my only option to engage Irish or UK sourcing & assembly companies who will use their own contacts Asia-side but they cost thousands and continue to take a 10-25% cut on all future batches of product manufactured?

Or is anybody out there dealing directly and happy to recommend companies to me?

In summary, I am looking to do the following
    • source the components and PCB, etc.
    • source enclosures (and cut appropriately)
    • produce, assemble and package
    Basically, i want to be able to get the entire boxed product to my doorstep for many, many times less that it costs to produce locally. Not asking for much :)

On another note there are some accessories that go with this product that cost extortionate amounts here in Europe. I have been trying to source these too in Asia and have actually managed to get some samples from a company that look good but costs 95% less. Again, same question: how can I verify this company. I ask because I read a post from MMick in which he visited China only to find out many of the companies he had shortlisted either did not exist or did not exist in any way like they claimed to on their Internet sites, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You could try the likes of speedy tech (www.speedy-tech.com.sg) but your batch sizes look a bit small.

If a product is properly designed, to minimise the amount of labour required, it can make sense to assemble it here. I see man badly designed products that require massive amount of labour to assemble, rather than fix the design they just go some where labour is cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with going to china with a stable, high volume product. Also nothing wrong with getting the components, cables, enclosures from there and assembling else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

This is a bit of a long shot, but try contacting Paul Midler.

He's the author of 'Poorly made in China' (great book by the way, very informative)

He worked (and probably still works) as a consultant who will find you a factory in China.

Here's his website, which has an email address:

http://www.paulmidler.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IrlDigi

I have direct contacts in China and can help with this.

I have sent you a DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jh72i

Thanks for these thoughts.

DubilinDilbert
    I totally agree with your comments about design and one thing I really want to do is run the design through other professional design companies to see if it is optimum in terms of pure engineering but also in terms of fast production. All that, of course, costs dough too.
    The one thing about this product is that, so far, it has come from an idea to a working, tested (over a long period) prototype on a shoestring. I need to keep it that way until there is some serious prospect of sales. Business planning is ongoing but the financial part of that is key - and this is where I need to honestly, confidently, realistically, etc., etc., etc. be able to say CompanyX in China can do this,that,the other at a rate of x per 1000, y per 5000, z per 10000 and they are known to produce quality, on time, etc.

The idea of assembling locally I have thought about and it is appealing if for no other reason than creation of a job or two. But, of course, we're back to money and confidence in sales.

daRobot
    Thanks for this link. If nothing else the book will be worth reading (if i ever again have time!)

IrlDigi
    That's great. I will pick up that mail and get back to you (in the morning!).

Folks, again, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Its hard to get quotes from any company for low volumes, even harder if they are far away. Even big companies out there will try build/test/ship as quick as possible, so you may need to look at having some sort of QC operation here in Ireland to make sure you getting the quality level you expect. You'll also want QC here in case you get any items returned from the field.

I've seen very few new products go straight to production in china, you'd be best to look at doing small batches closer to home, ironing out any bugs etc. When you are 1000% happy with your product and have secured large orders, then is the time to get it made in volume.

The best you can probably do at the moment is use estimates for your business case. Have you got your bill of materials priced up even if the parts were to be sourced here? Drop me a PM if you like and I can have a quick look over your design if you like. I work in the electronic product design area.

• Advertisement

Hi DublinDilbert,
    Was about to send you a PM but cannot see that I have that level of access. Wonder if you could PM me a contact email?

John

Ah, stupid me. I found the PM mechanism.

Advertisement