Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I plant to grow into a hedge?

Options
  • 08-08-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭

Apols in advance for what may be a stupid question. I am clueless about gardening.

I have railings in my garden and I would like to plant a hedge that will grow besides the railings.

Any suggestions as to what I should plant?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Apols in advance for what may be a stupid question. I am clueless about gardening.

I have railings in my garden and I would like to plant a hedge that will grow besides the railings.

Any suggestions as to what I should plant?

I got to get in here 1st (before everyone else) and say......Beech or Hornbeam.:)

Hornbeam for me,as I think its a lovely hedge when planted correctly and kept propperly too.:)

Have a look at this website,to see different types of hedging.........www.hedges.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What effect are you going for OP, formal or natural. Are you prepared to put in a good bit of effort clipping it? How high do you want it to grow. Do you want flowers, green all year round? What kind of situation is it - seaside, exposed, very shaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Planted bareroot green privet 2 years ago and is nice and full now at 1 meter high which is all I want it. Cheap to buy and easy/fast to grow. Some people think it's boring but I think its a timelsee classic hedge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hornbeam or Field Maple are nice deciduous hedges. For evergreen golden privit is hardy and grows from los wood so can be cut back hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

looksee wrote: »
    What effect are you going for OP, formal or natural. Are you prepared to put in a good bit of effort clipping it? How high do you want it to grow. Do you want flowers, green all year round? What kind of situation is it - seaside, exposed, very shaded?

I am looking for a hedge that will need very little clipping or maintaining. It is not too shaded a spot gets sun in the late afternoon. Maybe grow to about hip height?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the helpful responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

If you have to buy large amounts of hedging you will save money by buying the bare rooted plants which are generally sold between November and the end of March. There is a big difference between evergreens like laurel or griselinia and semi deciduous like beech or hornbeam in terms of the privacy they will give you - evergreen will give you more privacy. My personal experience with griselinia and hornbeam is that they are easy to maintain and generally I only cut them once a year. future forests are worth checking out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

privitt is great fro a town hedge next to railings, and for somthing more lovely and slightly slower growing - golden privit, bareroot in winter and dont forget the chicken manure :D and mulch with 2 inches composted bark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

And plan ahead. As said the bareroot are available from November and they will thank you if you can get them in before winter sets in. So plan your trenches/holes and prepare the ground by digging it over a few weeks before you get your plants. Put some manure or compost in the bottom of the whole and then back fill. The soil will settle and be lovely for you to dig once your plants arrive. A good heal in and water and that's it until the following summer when they 'might' need a prune :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Have a read and look here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77779465&postcount=9

A few pics will also help too.;)

Soil preperation is vital too.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Have a read and look here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77779465&postcount=9

A few pics will also help too.;)

Soil preperation is vital too.