Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place to Buy Euro

Options
  • 08-08-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,

I am looking to change sterling to euro. I am unsure of where to get the best rates or how to find out. Should I change the money in the north or Irl? or south? what about buying bank drafts/cheques? or cash?

Totally bamboozled by it all!

Thanking you all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

post office. no commission

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

This lot (an irish start up) offer good rates.

http://www.currencyfair.com/

Its a peer-to-peer system, an interesting business model. Worth checking out. Probably best if you're transferring from one bank account in one country to a bank in the other though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Google for "foreign exchange broker". There are loads of them. Compare the rates available. Note that "commission free" means nothing really, the rate you are getting is whats important.

Currencyfair is good but there are better rates available from brokers last I checked.

Banks/postoffice give the worst rates in my experience.

To set up a brokerage account (similar with currencyfair) you need to send them proof of ID and address etc. Is a small bit of hassle. Not really worth it unless you are moving large amounts. For small once off transfers just take the hit and use your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

digzy wrote: »
    post office. no commission

..but terrible rates, which is why they do "comission free" as they're making it back that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fridgerange

Thanks for all the advice! I will look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 dickdasterly

The post office are terrible they have no commission but there rates are rubbish, try the online site like travel premier currency, next day delivery free and rate the make the post office look like crooks.

Advertisement