Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-profits in Galway

Options
  • 08-08-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just enquiring as to which national non-profit organisations have offices in Galway. I know we have SVP, but I don't know of any other ones that actually have offices here.

Just to be clear, I'm not enquiring about their shops or anything, just their administrative offices.

Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hi Guys,

Just enquiring as to which national non-profit organisations have offices in Galway. I know we have SVP, but I don't know of any other ones that actually have offices here.

Just to be clear, I'm not enquiring about their shops or anything, just their administrative offices.

Thanks,
    Rob

Do you mean administrative offices, but not places only doing direct service provision?

I'd imagine that many will have a degree of admin here (at very least cashing up the tills from their shops and rostering the volunteers), though not a full time office. Others will have a base for their staff, but not be doing much admin at all.

I know that there are offices of things the National Council for the Blind - don't know if they're doing admin or just a field-work base though.

Also, what do you mean by nationwide - offices in every hole-in-the-hedge in the country? Offices in Dublin, Cork and Galway.

The more I think about it, the limits that you've put on this request make it quite hard to answer. What are you really looking for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I know fore sure SpunOut.ie and Foundation Nepal are both based here, if that's any help.

SpunOut are in Quay Street (IIRC) and Foundation Nepal are on New Road, just up from the Cannal across from the girlcsouts building.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

Thanks folks, this is a good start! :)

• Advertisement

An Tobar Nua on Dominick Street is also part of a Non-Profit called Foundation in Christ LTD, if that's any use to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

No such thing as "non-profit" in Galway - Galway is very much geared towards profit.

scholar007 wrote: »
    No such thing as "non-profit" in Galway - Galway is very much geared towards profit.

Well, I listed 3, so that makes your post totally invalid.

Seaneh wrote: »
    scholar007 wrote: »
    Well, I listed 3, so that makes your post totally invalid.

How many of them are "national" though?

All 3 of them are based in Ireland.
    Foundation Napal do a fair amount of work in the local community too.
    Nicky Deacy is a good egg.

Spunout is totally Irish.

An Tobar Nua is Irish too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Not strictly national, but covers Galway.

Online Marketing in Galway www.galwaymarketing.ie helps businesses and marketers learn, share knowledge and network, meets every month or so.

An Tobar Nua is Irish too.

Ahh, no it's not. American (Southern Baptist, to be precise) through and through. Staffed by American college students on internship programmes.

Ref: http://foundationinchrist.org/about/history/

Interesting that the An Tobar Nua's own website (http://antobarnua.com/) tells progressively less and less of their story.

JustMary wrote: »
    Ahh, no it's not. American (Southern Baptist, to be precise) through and through. Staffed by American college students on internship programmes.

Ref: http://foundationinchrist.org/about/history/

Interesting that the An Tobar Nua's own website (http://antobarnua.com/) tells progressively less and less of their story.

They have a staff that includes 8 full time irish people.
    The management is entirely Irish.
    The board, besides Kelly and Susan, are all Irish.

They currently have 2 interns, and 4 fulltime american staff members.

they pump hundreds of tousands of euros into the economy here every year.

They are Irish.

Also, to add to that, the founders are, baptist, Kelly is an ordained reverend but they attend a non-denominational church in Florida where they live, when they are in Galway they attend a pentecostal church, the cafe/organisation is run by a catholic, they employ catholics and other denominations, they work with several churches in town and the catholic church, they have the permission of the bishop to work with the local schools.
    Saying they are "southern baptist through and through" does nothing but belie the fact that you think you know what you are talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

il happily accept any donations going :-)

.... they work with several churches in town and the catholic church, they have the permission of the bishop to work with the local schools.

I think the saying goes "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

Back to the OP's question though, this particular charity only has one site in Ireland, and that is Galway. So it's stretching things a long way to include it as a " national non-profit organisation". And while their Annual Reports make it clear that they're registered as a charity in the US, it's not clear that they even count as non-profit here in Ireland.

I think the saying goes "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

The bishop has done teachings in the café.

You honestly have no clue about who or what they are.

The bishop has done teachings in the café.

You honestly have no clue about who or what they are.

Not being Irish, I probably have more idea than many here about how fundamentalist American elevangelism organisations operate - ironically they probably have more clue about embedding themselves in the local culture than most Irish Catholics.

In hindsight, I wish I'd taken screenshots of some of the statements about their history and objectives that used to be on their website - which have now been replaced by far milder versions.

But really this is totally off topic - the OP wanted to know about national non-profits organsiations - these folks aren't national, and their for/non profit status in Ireland is unclear.

Not being Irish, I probably have more idea than many here about how fundamentalist American elevangelism organisations operate - ironically they probably have more clue about embedding themselves in the local culture than most Irish Catholics.

In hindsight, I wish I'd taken screenshots of some of the statements about their history and objectives that used to be on their website - which have now been replaced by far milder versions.

But really this is totally off topic - the OP wanted to know about national non-profits organsiations - these folks aren't national, and their for/non profit status in Ireland is unclear.

They are a registered charity in Ireland, I know this for a fact. They were started in Ireland, the Curry's moved in Salthill in the 90's, Kelly was taking a career break and they moved the family here. They opened the cafe and then later expanded it. FICM is An Tobar Nua, besides the cafe, school and the bookstore, it doesn't exist. Kelly and Susan leave the running of it all to a devout catholic who lives in Athenry, Kelly works fulltime in the healthcare industry in the US, Susan lives between Florida and Galway.

I can, safely, without any doubt in my mind, say I know far more about who ATN/FICM are, what they do, what their objectives are and how they operate.

Where you are from is irrelevant, you still haven't a clue what you are talking about.

For people who are "southern baptist through and through" they don't employ a single baptist in a management position.

The organisation is run by a catholic, the managers of the cafe are members of an Assemblies of God church, the book store staff are both catholics, the man who runs the school is pentecostal.

There is no point in acting like you know what you are talking about, you don't. I know all of these people and their motives personally, have done for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Jigsaw - A very worthy group who work with young people to boost their mental health

www.headstrong.ie
    www.jigsaw.ie

neemish wrote: »
    Jigsaw - A very worthy group who work with young people to boost their mental health

www.headstrong.ie
    www.jigsaw.ie

Yeah, they have offices across from the bus station.

Youth Work Ireland are just up the hill on Prospect Hill too, both great organisations.

Galway Volunteer Centre is a non-profit too, which I forgot about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I certainly can see why !

A visual hallucination of an intra-cardiac thatched cottage coupled with a verse from Deuteronomy brought them to Ireland.

:confused:
    Earnestly praying for the Lord’s direction, Kelly and Susan soon felt their life was about to take a radical turn. In October of 1993, Kelly shared a passage out of Deuteronomy 11 with Susan, expressing what he felt was a call to Ireland. Susan immediately remembered a vision she had in August of that same year. As she was walking through her neighborhood praying, Susan had a very strong image of a thatched roof cottage placed in her heart. Realizing the significance of this picture the Lord implanted in her heart, she journaled the event, but she had not shared it with Kelly. The vision now made perfect sense.

http://foundationinchrist.org/about/history/

Advertisement