Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using iphone to set up a Personal Hotspot - Charged by phone company?

• 08-08-2012 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

I actually live in Korea and have a plan with a Korean phone company but can't get an answer over this side yet so said I'd ask on boards.

Is there a charge with your company if you use your iphone internet connection to use the internet on your laptop?

I have unlimited internet on my iphone, but is there usually another charge for the use of the tool if you like? Or does the fact that I have unlimited data mean that I should be good to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the operator.

Some operators allow their data packages to be used for tethering, others insist that you pay for a separate data package.

It all depends on the carrier file that's downloaded to your phone. There's usually a hack for most operators to get around it afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It'll be in the small print of your contract if you're allowed do it. Over here I'm with 3 and when I signed up it was allowed. However anyone signing up since January 2011 isn't so it all depends. Each provider has their own set of rules I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have an online account where you can see charges you can use it for a while and see if the charges go up.
    But as stated above, the company will know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks lads, I'll just have to ask them.

Again...

Just wanted to confirm that they will in fact know whether or not I'm using it to access the internet with my laptop, which ye tell me they will.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It'll be in the small print of your contract if you're allowed do it. Over here I'm with 3 and when I signed up it was allowed. However anyone signing up since January 2011 isn't so it all depends. Each provider has their own set of rules I suppose

That would be January 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

If jaibroken you can purchase an app that allows you to tether under the radar, so to speak; MyWi. I think it's around $20 but well worth it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Do people actually tether much? I think I've used it once or twice on the train and the connection was very unstable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

godtabh wrote: »
    Do people actually tether much? I think I've used it once or twice on the train and the connection was very unstable

I tether a lot (although not on the train which I'd imagine could be an issue when tethering). Very handy when out and about being able to have the option of using my tablet or laptop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The train mightn't be the best place to do it, as you are constantly changing towers, so dropping and reconnecting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Normally I have access to wifi. Probably the only place I dont is on the train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Normally I have access to wifi. Probably the only place I dont is on the train

If I'm out with my 2 teens and they've no credit, which is all of the time, they usually hook up to my data and I use it myself on my iPad which is wifi only. The odd time my son's tethered so he can use Xbox Live when the house wifi was down!

Advertisement