Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL front end management

Options
  • 08-08-2012 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,

I have built a MySQL database schema for my company and now I want a number of managers here to be able to add and delete records from it.

I know I could go and develop the php to do this but is there a desktop application that would do this (ie that would sit on top of the database). I know I could use MySQL workbench but I would rather give the manager a simpler application and ideally not have to build the application from scratch (ie in VB / php etc).

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

Install phpadmin to view/browse/delete records online without your managers needing to know SQL. This is pretty very friendly.. point click add/update/delete row inline similar to excel.

You will need a webserver with PHP support - but you have mentioned PHP so I gather you have this.

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭1qTour

Another option might be to try baking it with Cake PHP - cakephp.org. You could have a basic CRUD php site up in minutes, including menus to browse to related tables.

Other environments may have something similar but I have used this and it works well.

Edit: forgot it has its own naming conventions for the database if you want to bake it. Might be one for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

magooly wrote: »
    Install phpadmin to view/browse/delete records online without your managers needing to know SQL. This is pretty very friendly.. point click add/update/delete row inline similar to excel.

You will need a webserver with PHP support - but you have mentioned PHP so I gather you have this.

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

Installing Navicat or dbForge for MySQL would probably be an easier solution. No messing around with web servers.

Advertisement