Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employeer not paying my tax

Options
  • 08-08-2012 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My employeer is not paying my tax. They are not deducting paye or prsi from my pay. I only discovered this when I asked for my payslips for getting a bank loan and under tax it says 0.00

I am working for them for 4 months, before then I wasn't working. Can it be my responsibility to pay my tax or do they have to deduct it. Its a very small business.

Im afraid its going to cause problems with the bank loan too - showing as not paying tax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

your payslip might only show your tax deductions - they are supposed to state what the employer has paid in PRSI contributions, but in a small business I can understand that this does not always happen.
    If you are on a low income, your PRSI contribution and PAYE tax could be zero or minimal. So the deductions under tax could in that case well be 0.00, as would your own PRSI deductions.

What you need to know is if the employer is paying their share of your PRSI (which is a minimum of 4.25%). If you earn less than €352 per week you will be exempt from PRSI but your employer will pay 4.25% contribution on your behalf. You can check this by contacting social welfare and getting a copy of your PRSI contributions record, link here
    https://www.welfare.ie/EN/Secure/Pages/RequestAcopyOfYourSIContributionsRecord.aspx
    Only start to worry if in fact nothing has been paid from the employer for your PRSI. Otherwise it is nothing to worry about - it just means that you have been under the thresholds for employee contributions and deductions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

My pay has been under the PRSI threshold so far, until this payslip that I received for 3 weeks (Usually two weeks) It has been over by an average of €60 for each of those weeks - hopefully it was just an oversight as they do it all manually.

My main concern at the moment is if the bank will refuse a loan when they see that my tax has not been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

DylanII wrote: »
    My pay has been under the PRSI threshold so far, until this payslip that I received for 3 weeks (Usually two weeks) It has been over by an average of €60 for each of those weeks - hopefully it was just an oversight as they do it all manually.

My main concern at the moment is if the bank will refuse a loan when they see that my tax has not been paid.
    First off most places pay PRSI monthly or quarterly so they wouldn't send it off each week. Second, even if you earn over or under the threshold your employer will still have to pay their share of a minimum 4.25%. Have they been doing this? If you're not sure request confirmation of your contributions (employee AND employer) via the link I supplied earlier.

Did you get a tax credit certificate at the start of the year? If so, then your employer also would have been given a copy. Use this certificate to check your thresholds and allowances...it may well be that you do not earn enough to pay tax. Your employer does not pay any tax on your earnings, they simply forward any tax YOU owe to revenue on your behalf. If you feel based upon your credit certificate that you SHOULD be paying tax then contact revenue and ensure your employer also has a copy of the relevant credit certificate to calculate upon.

Advertisement