Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like downing tools and leaving....!

Options
  • 08-08-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in a job I don't like as is my fiancé

I just want to jack it all in and leave for Australia with my fiancé.

I work in kind of a niche area and there would be work in the area but I may be too junior at this stage. My big problem is debt... I have debt :(
    We both work in the same area.

How do people who have debt manage to leave and go work and live a new life there? We both have debt and would be afraid of leaving and not getting a job to keep up payments on our loans but at the same time we don't want it to stand in our way!

What kind of money would we need to save to get us by?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

You will need good planning if you wish to service your debt from abroad.

Find out how much you can earn here in your field and do the math.
    The cost of living in Australia is not cheap. So you need to consider what type of lifestyle you will want here; work,work and service the debt or a mix of work and play.

Realistically if you don't have someone to stay with when you first arrive, you'll need around $5 grand or $8-10grand between two. This is pretty conservative when you take into account rent, deposit/bond, furnishing the property. Hostel fees add up also. Finding a share house might be a cheaper option. And keeping you for the first few weeks before you get a job can quickly add up. This is in AUD. you'll need to figure out flights etc in addition.

So that first month-6weeks you will need to have enough set aside to pay the Irish loans also. This would allow for any delay securing a job at this end.

It can be done, but work it all out before you start looking at flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I concur with Cooperspale. It's amazing how much you spend in the first month or so before you get a paycheck.
    Have a good look in to what you would expect to earn and work it backwards from there.

What line of business are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I agree with coopersdale. Planning is very important, setting up here is expensive and I wouldn't recommend it if you are arriving on spec. You say you're junior in your work experience but how many years do you think it would take before you could apply directly to employers in Oz. If you pick a point in the future then at least you can work towards it, reduce the debt burden in the meantime and perhaps even get a break in repayments for the time you're setting up in Oz.

It might feel daunting now but spaced out over a few years you may be able to make a comfortable move. My wife and I knew in 2008 that we wanted to emigrate so we'd saved up and planned for the change, Australia wasn't even in our sights but when an opportunity did present itself last year we were ready for the move.

It sounds like you got a lot of research to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

How much debt for you have? If you come over here as a couple and both of you are working in decent enough jobs its quite easy to save around $1,000 a week, just save one pay check and use the other as for rent etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jacster

Congrats, but simple fact is you don’t get in debt you cannot pay. I don’t know if this is debt you carried with you ( as many other gormless may have ) or less sympathetically debt you accurrred over here, for which there’s no excuse other than greed you celtic tiger pup you. If you brought it with you the immoral but JUST response is to renege and say FU till I go back home, typically 7 yrs to be wiped ( stand to be corrected). If you collected it over here the response is opposite. Negotiate a reasonable rate and pay it off at that per week, or run back home to the social welfare. You have no business raking up debts in a foreign country. Check your expectations. If this was a Polish person posting about Irish debts imagine the reaction. You are no better over here, leave your snobbiness and self-entitlement at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Jacster less of the name calling its unwarranted the OP has not even suggested leaving the debt, plus some people fall into debt for very unfortunate reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jacster

I have been reminded of this by the mods......

*Jacster less of the name calling its unwarranted the OP has not even suggested leaving the debt, plus some people fall into debt for very unfortunate reasons*

I don’t think my post was unwarranted but was pretty sound financial advice.
    I don’t think I called names either.
    It may not have been what would be "approved" but perhaps the truth hurts.
    I was actually presenting advice based on both possible scenarios which is hardly harsh posting!

I don’t hold back on my views and I refuse to be censored on them.
    I wish the op the best but frankly my points hold true regardless off the situation and so I believe deserve to be displayed for public comment and discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jacster wrote: »

*Jacster less of the name calling its unwarranted the OP has not even suggested leaving the debt, plus some people fall into debt for very unfortunate reasons*

I don’t think my post was unwarranted but was pretty sound financial advice.
    I don’t think I called names either.
    It may not have been what would be "approved" but perhaps the truth hurts.
    I was actually presenting advice based on both possible scenarios which is hardly harsh posting!

I don’t hold back on my views and I refuse to be censored on them.
    I wish the op the best but frankly my points hold true regardless off the situation and so I believe deserve to be displayed for public comment and discussion.

I did not see where you gave in pratical advice. The OP wants to service hiis debts so do a lot but each to the own

To the OP I agree with the rest PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. See what your repayments are monthly (all of them including rent/morgage ESB, Credit card etc) how much you earn now and what you have left over by the end of each month. Then to the same for Australia try and see what rent electricity/Gas bills etc would be and what wage you can get here. but DON'T FORGET when in Australia you will be paying 2 lots of bills those in Australia nd the repayments back home. Then see where you are better financially. Go to the banks and see if you can restructure your payments (eg. intrest only etc)

Unfortunatly there are a lot of people who have jobs they hate but cant leave due to debt. Best of luck wich ever way you go and try to relax which I know is hard and go about this with a clear mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Congrats, but simple fact is you don’t get in debt you cannot pay. I don’t know if this is debt you carried with you ( as many other gormless may have ) or less sympathetically debt you accurrred over here, for which there’s no excuse other than greed you celtic tiger pup you. If you brought it with you the immoral but JUST response is to renege and say FU till I go back home, typically 7 yrs to be wiped ( stand to be corrected). If you collected it over here the response is opposite. Negotiate a reasonable rate and pay it off at that per week, or run back home to the social welfare. You have no business raking up debts in a foreign country. Check your expectations. If this was a Polish person posting about Irish debts imagine the reaction. You are no better over here, leave your snobbiness and self-entitlement at the airport.

Did you even read Misticles post?
    Misticles wrote: »
    We both have debt and would be afraid of leaving and not getting a job to keep up payments on our loans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod As per charter no backseat moderation, if you disagree PM the mod not on thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Thanks for the replies.

We Just have loans- no mortgage or bills linked with that.

I think at this stage I will stick out my job for another year as it will give us more experience and allow us to go into consulting and get great jobs in Australia.

It is something we have been strongly thinking about but we think it's best to stay for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Good on you Misticles when you do need help going you know where to find us. Good luck on the debt reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Misticles wrote: »
    I think at this stage I will stick out my job for another year as it will give us more experience and allow us to go into consulting and get great jobs in Australia.
    Good stuff, give yourself the time to plan the whole thing. With enough research and patience you might even have a job lined up before you head over which would really help the transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Dogdaysareover

Oh christ, another self righteous slug with their holier than thou attitude.
    I would love to know what people like you did before the internet....

Oh christ, another self righteous slug with their holier than thou attitude.
    I would love to know what people like you did before the internet....

Mod Issue has been dealt with - move along please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Dogdaysareover

hussey wrote: »
    Mod Issue has been dealt with - move along please

Yeah, whatever..........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

hussey wrote: »
    Mod As per charter no backseat moderation, if you disagree PM the mod not on thread

Sorry did not mean to backseat mod was just trying to answer his post.

Sorry did not mean to backseat mod was just trying to answer his post.

That wasn't aimed at you! I'll edit the original post to make more clearer. sorry for confusion

Advertisement