Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning Advice

Options
  • 08-08-2012 2:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have some fruit trees (apple, cherry and plum) and some shrubs (magnolia, buddleia (?) and a dogwood)

Thing is I don't have much gardening knowledge and I'm finding the books a bit confusing. Is there any standard logic of what I need to prune, when I need to do it and by how much?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Unless you are training them, the fruit trees do not need to be pruned. Best left alone as you can introduce disease especially into the cherry and plum.

Dogwood you can hack lumps out of any time you like. Tho you don't have to unless you want to keep it under control. Buddleia much the same, don't cut it at the moment though as it is probably in flower. I would be inclined to cut Buddleia back after flowering as it can get very straggly.

Magnolia shouldn't need to be pruned, though I don't know anything about them, maybe someone else will answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

photos would be helpful to outline advice

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Oldtree wrote: »
    photos would be helpful to outline advice

https://picasaweb.google.com/109454534209344815413/Garden02?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJHy7aeP-Z_JRg&feat=directlink

Not the best photos, and I hope this link works okay

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

first thing you should do is remove the grass around the base of each shrub/tree. it'l make for a much happier plant if it doesnt have to compete with grass for it's nutrients

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cut the flowerheads off the buddleia when it has finished flowering, the others look fine, though they do need the grass cleared as celticbhoy said. If that is the apple on the right of the two it needs a bit of attention, though I wouldn't like to advise based on the photo.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Cut the flowerheads off the buddleia when it has finished flowering, the others look fine, though they do need the grass cleared as celticbhoy said. If that is the apple on the right of the two it needs a bit of attention, though I wouldn't like to advise based on the photo.

The apple has taken a bit of a battering from the strong winds we've had alright. The grass is desperate for cutting - not had a dry day in nearly 2 weeks! Will extend the area underneath each when the grass gets cut.

The cherry is getting very tall, can I cut down the top branches? Also if I'm to prune the apple as some of the branches are too long where do I cut back to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

your plants are not that big and have plenty of space to grow into.
    Dont be tempted to prune the plum or cherry.
    Winter is the best time to prune the apple tree, but that pruning will depend on your requirements for that tree. Post photos then of the leafless tree from 2 different angles about 90 degrees and we'll advise where to put the necessary cuts and how to prune.

Dont be tempted when mowing the grass to mow right up to the bark as you will damage the tree by ringbarking it. I call it the mad mowers disease as even I find it difficult to resist.

prune spent flowers off budlea

Oldtree wrote: »
    your plants are not that big and have plenty of space to grow into.
    Dont be tempted to prune the plum or cherry.
    Winter is the best time to prune the apple tree, but that pruning will depend on your requirements for that tree. Post photos then of the leafless tree from 2 different angles about 90 degrees and we'll advise where to put the necessary cuts and how to prune.

Dont be tempted when mowing the grass to mow right up to the bark as you will damage the tree by ringbarking it. I call it the mad mowers disease as even I find it difficult to resist.

prune spent flowers off budlea

Thanks for that, I'll post pictures later in the year:D

Advertisement