Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mater Dei

Options
  • 08-08-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else here is starting in Mater Dei come September? Or if anyone already attends and has any information?

I can't wait to just start and get everything, timetables, classes and get organized!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

What kind of information are you looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

What kind of information are you looking?

What class sizes are like?
    Rough timetable? Early starts? How many hours?
    Many essays?
    What's car parking like?

To be honest any info anybody has! :-)

It really depends on what degree you are doing, is it BRELED or BAISRS?
    Many of the classes are shared between both in first year, less so as you progress through the years. BRELEDS make up the most students in the year and BAISRS class sizes are about 30 - 35 people, and a lot drop out/repeat the year along the way. Timetable also depends on what degree you are doing and it changes after Christmas. There can be a bit of snobbery with regards BA's in the college, not all the time and not with everyone but it is seen by many staff members and students as a Secondary Teaching college only. Generally the classes go from 9 - 5, but in first year you really aren't over worked and the classes/essays/exams are so easy compared to other years, so my advice is to enjoy it! Some of the classes are timetabled together in single, double or triple classes with perhaps one long day but again this depends. There is ample free car parking in front of the college. You will always need your student card handy for accessing the college, the computer rooms and the library. I would say that there are more girls at the college than boys. Many of the lecturers are grand but you have to put in the effort at the end of the day! It's not a great college overall for going out, especially as you get past first year, in first year most people go out and head to Quinns, this diminishes after first year! Also, it's an incredibly small college where everyone knows everyone and everyone elses business so be careful if you kiss anyone etc because EVERYONE will know! The canteen food isn't great but it does the job. You generally have an essay per module studied, which is due after a week in first year and is only around 1200 - 1500 words long, these get longer as you progress. There are no Christmas exams, so you have about a dozen exams at summer time (more or less depending on what year you are in), but AGAIN, this depends. If you are BAISRS you have semesterised exams from 2012/2013. You could contact Paul Hegarty in Admissions for questions or ask me but like I said it really depends on what course you are doing or whether you are doing History/English/Music or the Irish and Religious studies.

Thanks so much for the info! I'm 24 and living with my boyfriend so I won't be too concerned with going out so that side won't bother me at all.
    Really looking forward to it being a small college. I was in UCD before and hated how big it was and how easy it was to become just a number.
    I will be doing B.REL.ED, just really looking forward to getting started becoming a bit obsessed about trying to find out as much info as I can. I've already spoken to Paul, he's extremely helpful and who I dealt with last year when deferring the year.
    Thanks again for the information you've already given!

Is there teaching practice? It says in the prospectus there is but a friend of a friend is just finishing first year and said he did none?!

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the info! I'm 24 and living with my boyfriend so I won't be too concerned with going out so that side won't bother me at all.
    Really looking forward to it being a small college. I was in UCD before and hated how big it was and how easy it was to become just a number.
    I will be doing B.REL.ED, just really looking forward to getting started becoming a bit obsessed about trying to find out as much info as I can. I've already spoken to Paul, he's extremely helpful and who I dealt with last year when deferring the year.
    Thanks again for the information you've already given!

Is there teaching practice? It says in the prospectus there is but a friend of a friend is just finishing first year and said he did none?!

I can't blame you, I was the same wanting to find out everything I could! Yeah, there were a few people who hated UCD and loved the smallness of MDI! Yes, there is teaching practice in the college but in first year you only do peer teaching, which is in front of your classmates, they record it and play it back and you are assessed on it. In 2nd year you teach in front of primary school children who are brought in to the college for the day, then in 3rd and 4th year you do a period of secondary school teaching over a period of several weeks. It has to be said there is a huge amount of religious based work and teaching in the college and a lot of it seems quite unnecessary when you feel you have more to be at! There are usually a small number of 'mature' students in first year also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Kiera A

I'm in MDI and we do both peer teaching and teaching practice with primary school children that are brought into the college in the first year of the course, not just peer teaching.

Kiera A wrote: »
    I'm in MDI and we do both peer teaching and teaching practice with primary school children that are brought into the college in the first year of the course, not just peer teaching.

Thanks! Whats the timetable like? I need to know for work and won't get it til orientation which is less than a week before college starts.

Kiera A wrote: »

Things have changed since my day so!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was like that 30 years ago. First was videoed peer teaching, then later on in 1st year they would bring in the smallies for micro-teaching in the studios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dymphnag47

hey i was just wondering if i was starting off in sept to do history and religion would my hours as a first year student be suitable for me to commute from dromod to mater dei college every day??? thanks
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement