Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names

Options
  • 08-08-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Everybody I am expecting my second child and am finding it very difficult to come up with names. I most definitly want an irish name. For a girl I really like Croía but wuld love yo know what it means? All sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cailín :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

*S i like it

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Discussions/tabid/119/ForumThread/19627029/Default.aspx

But no rock solid meaning of it as of yet. heart or of the heart would sound on the right track to me

Saoirse I like (have a niece named so)

http://www.lorrainequirke.com/irishnames/ for some more

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ckpippa

Thanks very much for link. Saoirse s lovely name but already one in family. Both our families are full of irish names so very hard to pick one that still is not too common.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Anything with a fada should be avoided.
    (in my opinion) ;)

for what reason?? would love ome boys name suggestions if anyone has any?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have a Dearbhail and a Caoimhe.
    I like Siofra,Caoilfhionn,Aoife,Ciara,Aisling,Alannah,Siobhan, Laoise among others I find boys names harder I love Cormac,Coner,Caolan,Cillian,Ruairi and that is all I can think of.
    My new baby is going to be called uimhir a 3 , I dunno if we will ever decide on names!

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have a Dearbhail and a Caoimhe.
    I like Siofra,Caoilfhionn,Aoife,Ciara,Aisling,Alannah,Siobhan, Laoise among others I find boys names harder I love Cormac,Coner,Caolan,Cillian,Ruairi and that is all I can think of.
    My new baby is going to be called uimhir a 3 , I dunno if we will ever decide on names!

Thanks for reply. I love Caoimhe too... I have a son called Kealan so something nice to go with that would be great. I was thinking Ódhran but not too sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I love Ódhran :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Names with a fada will be hard to pronounce - almost impossible outside of this country

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Ckpippa wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. I love Caoimhe too... I have a son called Kealan so something nice to go with that would be great. I was thinking Ódhran but not too sure.

Was just about to post Ódhran as i really like it, my wife on the other hand was not too keen on it. But thats the thing with names, getting one that both of ye love!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I always liked Oisin and Fionn for boys names, but my OH is from the USA - his family would really have struggled with pronounciation - so we've decided Irish names are out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I'm not the biggest fan of Irish names but Oisín, Ódhran, Amhlaoibh are nice for boys

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I love Ruairí but himself hated it straight off the bat. I really wanted Ciarán if we were having a boy this time (means 'little dark one' and my family are all of the Kerry natural pure black hair genes), himself was leaning towards Daithi as he is a David. TBH if it weren't utterly daft and obnoxious I'd have loved to have a son named after my most beloved hero of irish mythology, but can you imagine the abuse in school if there was a little lad called Cúchulainn? :D

As for girls, we have an Áine and it seems to get lovely warm reaction from people and its not hugely common. We've an irish girls name picked for my current bump, but I'll avoid mentioning it as some of my extended family are very active boards users and I don't want to give it away accidentally ;)

Both my brothers are Oisín and Fionn so there out. It is very difficult to come up with a name we both can agree on. Another one I was thinking was Rían but again not sure. I just wish something would POP out at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

I like Oran for a boy think some spell it Orran as well. Odran can be a boy or girls name I know one of each, think it's a lovely name for a boy but not so much for a girl.
    I have an Irish name and personally wouldn't burden a child with one, unless it's a common enough one (Sinead/Sean etc) there is only so much explaining of the name you handle whilst abroad (especially in Starbucks when they ask for your namebiggrin.gif) & even with Irish people, no matter many times you explain how your name is pronounced they can't be bothered to make the effort to pronounce it right

Advertisement