Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIV virus

• 08-08-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi
    Just got a call from the vets this morning to tell me that the little guy who strayed to us a few months ago (and took over our home completely!) has got FIV virus. Devastated is an understatement. He can be kept on antibiotics for a time but obviously he will have to be let go if his condition worsens. Has anyone else had a cat with this virus? And how did u manage it? I know he has to be kept indoors all the time and all of that. What I am asking is for stories of other cats who had it and lived relatively normal lives!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Hi
    Just got a call from the vets this morning to tell me that the little guy who strayed to us a few months ago (and took over our home completely!) has got FIV virus. Devastated is an understatement. He can be kept on antibiotics for a time but obviously he will have to be let go if his condition worsens. Has anyone else had a cat with this virus? And how did u manage it? I know he has to be kept indoors all the time and all of that. What I am asking is for stories of other cats who had it and lived relatively normal lives!

First thing, Lauren, is "don't panic". FIV is not the awful death sentence that some under informed vets claim it to be.
    I have an ex-feral cat with holes in his ears and an eye missing who was a year old when we got him. He was diagnosed as being FIV+ shortly after we got him and his mate but, over four years later, he's the happiest, healthiest, most loveable little man you'd ever be lucky enough to meet.

Now I'm not, for one moment, saying that FIV is not a serious disease but, like its human equivalent, it can be managed with good diet, good animal husbandry and a good vet, the last bit being the most important. Where in the country are you? If you want to PM me, I may be able to recommend someone to you.
    Because the immune system of an FIV+ cat is compromised, you need to be constantly alert to every little nuance of your cats personality and behaviour so you can tell if they're off colour for any reason.
    Cats are extremely good at hiding any illness or weakness so its up to you to know when the cat as much as blinks funny so you can get him to a vet and get any problems nipped in the bud. You'll need a knowledgable vet and one who's sympathetic to cats with the disease and who's prepared to work with you.
    Treatment will usually consist of a powerhouse antibiotic to kill any bugs with this also kills other good stuff to so your cat will be even more at risk from lurgies at these times.
    He will have to be kept as an indoors only cat or only allowed access only to a cat proofed garden in order to keep him away from local cats and the bugs they carry and to protect those same cats from contracting the disease. There are some great companies out there who supply cat fencing and again, if you want to pm me, I can send you details of my set-up which I bought online and installed myself.
    Good diet is the key to maintaining his health so you're going to need to feed the best you can afford. There are different schools of thought on the wet vs dry food debate but I'd personally recommend going with what works best for your cat and adjust as required by age or health.
    And one thing that you must consider is the stress factor. Stress automatically lowers the immune system in a cat do try and stick to their routine. Changes in environment, new animals and you being away from home are all simple little things to you and me but can have a monumental effect on a cats stress levels.
    It may sound like a lot to take in at the moment but it's doable. I have one FIV cat and 4 other negative, non related, cats who all live happily in the same house without a problem. And remember that you're not alone in all of this. There are a lot of us in the same boat who are happy to give advice, help and support so please don't be afraid to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Hi OP. Sorry to hear that. I received the same news about my 3 year old cat a few weeks ago but have armed myself with loads of info. The reason FIV gets such a bad name is because vets usually only see the worst case scenarios, like strays who have never been fed a proper diet. A cared for cat can live with FIV for many many years, it may never kill him. But as the previous poster said, you have to treat all illnesses promptly. Basically, you have a cat whose immune system may be compromised. I got in touch with a vet who deals in feline medicine only and she emailed me about supplements to add to the diet that contain immune strenghtening properties. There is no need to panic. Many cats have it and live long and healthy lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

OP, please have a read of this site: www.v63.net/catsanctuary/fiv.html

Advertisement