Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Time / Tide to Jump off Blackrock?

Options
  • 08-08-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

I'm planning on going to go with the family to jump off blackrock for the first time. So I was wondering what time is the best time to do it, when do the tides be best for it? Do I need to wait for the tide to be fully in for it?

Many thanks for your advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Lotsafish wrote: »
    I'm planning on going to go with the family to jump off blackrock for the first time. So I was wondering what time is the best time to do it, when do the tides be best for it? Do I need to wait for the tide to be fully in for it?

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

I wait till full tide anyhow to be sure to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, afaik there's signs saying not to jump off the diving board during low tide.
    LOL
    Did you have any helpful information to add to this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

if there's a lifeguard on duty (normally during the summer days there is AFAIK) they can advise, and they upper tiers will be closed if water deemed too shallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you want to be safe, wait until the water level is no less than 18" under the grey foundation of the tower.

We've often jumped at lower, but I don't want you coming back next week saying you broke both your legs jumping off

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

Was swimming in blackrock this morning and the amount of sh**e and sewage in the bay was unreal, never seen anything like it before, few other swimmers mentioned it came from a leak in mutton island, surely this can't happen or how safe is it swimming there when that happens?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oi rowr, you'll scare the tourists.
    Can I add OP, when you wander to blackrock, wear plastic on your shoes to avoid the dog poo. It's everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Low Tide/Hightide for the next few days

Wed
    First: 3:33 AM IST / 1.33 m 10:01 AM IST / 4.23 m
    Second: 3:51 PM IST / 1.59 m 10:17 PM IST / 4.13 m

Thurs
    First: 4:16 AM IST / 1.63 m 10:45 AM IST / 3.99 m
    Second: 4:42 PM IST / 1.86 m 11:07 PM IST / 3.84 m

Friday
    First: :10 AM IST / 1.91 m 11:40 AM IST / 3.79 m
    Second: 5:51 PM IST / 2.06 m 12:11 AM IST / 3.63 m

Sat
    First: 6:25 AM IST / 2.10 m 12:51 PM IST / 3.69 m
    Second: 7:19 PM IST / 2.10 m 1:34 AM IST / 3.57 m

So, given that, the best time between now and saturday would be 10:45 tomorrow.

On Sunday the 19th there is this which is really high 7:14 PM IST / 5.18 m

That's a few inches over the middle walkway, ie, if you were standing on the bit below, the water would be above your ankles.

repair.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Or if you want schedule to go there within lets say....the next year, you can use here :)http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/calendar/year/2085.html
    Obviously it is a bit much if you just want to go jumping of black rock once or twice but I thought it is a very good site for anyone else that needs tide times

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Alternatively, you can consult the Galway tides on a monthly basis here :
    http://www.sailing.ie/Racing/Tides/TidesGalway.aspx

Now, we want pics of the jump !!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'll just leave these here to get you in the mood... ;)

7267942282_d6446658db_z.jpg

On a more positive note, the blackrock area was full of sprat and mackerel this morning, in these recessionary times, you could have jumped in and got a free full body fish pedicure

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

rowr wrote: »
    On a more positive note, the blackrock area was full of sprat and mackerel this morning, in these recessionary times, you could have jumped in and got a free full body fish pedicure

Oooo coming to that time of the year again! I actually forgot about that, might go some evening. Went last year around 6 times and was guaranteed at least 3 mackerel. Pan fried mackerel is lovely and you can't get much fresher than the stuff you caught 30 minutes ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Seaneh wrote: »
    repair.jpg

Knew I recognised that photo! Was annoying me, was one I'd for a thread last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

make sure the ground tunnels are covered with water. an hour or two before high tide(check internet) is enough. if in doubt bring up your legs when you hit the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What we used to do when cliff diving is to hop in from the shore first and check the depth before any jumps from a height. Not only for depth but also for underwater logs or rocks.
    Cannae be too careful..

biko wrote: »
    What we used to do when cliff diving is to hop in from the shore first and check the depth before any jumps from a height. Not only for depth but also for underwater logs or rocks.
    Cannae be too careful..

not many underwater logs around Blackrock tower, but you should know what you are diving into.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lotsafish

Thanks all, I appreciate all the advice. Those tide times are brilliant! I'm going on Monday and trying to keep the weather good by sheer force of will until then. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Pics please! :)
    Thanks all, I appreciate all the advice. Those tide times are brilliant! I'm going on Monday and trying to keep the weather good by sheer force of will until then. :cool:

Was swimming in blackrock this morning and the amount of sh**e and sewage in the bay was unreal, never seen anything like it before, few other swimmers mentioned it came from a leak in mutton island, surely this can't happen or how safe is it swimming there when that happens?

As a follow up to my post on the sewage in the bay a few weeks ago and the closure of beaches today with e-coli, I spent 4 lovely days in bed last week with Delhi belly, 4 days of nothing going in but plenty flying out.

As someone that swims regularly there, is it more than coincidence?

As a follow up to my post on the sewage in the bay a few weeks ago and the closure of beaches today with e-coli, I spent 4 lovely days in bed last week with Delhi belly, 4 days of nothing going in but plenty flying out.

As someone that swims regularly there, is it more than coincidence?

I was down there today and the blue flag was still flying, lifeguard on duty and plenty of people in the water...

This was form about 1 - 2.30...:confused:

Grattan Beach in Salthill has been closed off for swimming after high levels of E Coli bacteria were detected in the water. http://www.galwaynews.ie/27408-city-beach-closed-due-e-coli-contamination

Very odd that it would affect Grattan and not other beaches in the vicinity.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Grattan Beach in Salthill has been closed off for swimming after high levels of E Coli bacteria were detected in the water. http://www.galwaynews.ie/27408-city-beach-closed-due-e-coli-contamination

Very odd that it would affect Grattan and not other beaches in the vicinity.

direction of the wind and tide flow would have a lot to do with it, I'd imagine.

Black rock is anout 2km in a straight line from Black rock, so I'd say blackrock is grand.

Seaneh wrote: »
    direction of the wind and tide flow would have a lot to do with it, I'd imagine.
    Black rock is anout 2km in a straight line from Black rock, so I'd say blackrock is grand.
    Earlier posters stated serious sewage issues in Blackrock. I'd say it's more to do with the timing of the e-coli tests.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Earlier posters stated serious sewage issues in Blackrock. I'd say it's more to do with the timing of the e-coli tests.

there has always being the odd sewage slick there. it depends on which the way is blowing.

Advertisement