Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving notice to a tenant in arrears

Options
  • 08-08-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

I may be giving notice to a tenant tonight who is in arrears with the rent. He will be one year in the property on 22nd august. Can I give him notice today or have to wait till the next rent due day (his arrears is over two months)?
    Is the notice period one month in this case and is there a template available or what goes on the letter and is it sufficient to hand it to him or do I need a witness? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you evicting them because of rent arrears then there are steps that you must follow. As I understand it you must write to them giving them 14 days to sort their arrears, after which time you must write to them again notifying them of your intention to start eviction proceedings. You would be well advised to seek out the correct legal procedure and follow it to the letter, because the penalties for an illegal eviction are quite severe.

Advertisement