Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you tip your beauty therapist??

• 08-08-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

I’ve always tipped hairdressers 10-15% unless very dissatisfied with there service but are you meant to tip beauticians? The general consensus amongst people I know is that you don’t tip. I had a waxing recently and felt there was an awkward pause were the therapist was expecting a tip. In the past I’ve had a number of expensive treatments (chemical peels, microdermabrasion etc), and in those instance tipping didn’t seem appropriate. I’ve a massage booked for tomorrow night and my first laser hair removal treatment booked on Saturday and like to hear what others think is appropriate? to tip or not to tip....:rolleyes::D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I tip my nail girl cos I really like how she does my nails and also she is pregnant so I feel she could do with the money.

I don't tip on expensive procedures like waxing, hair extensions etc because I feel I am paying out enough already.

I suppose it depends on how good a job they did and whether it was better than average. Sometimes it also depends on whether I have any small cash in my wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Shauna16

I would never not tip unless I was unhappy with the service. Why tip a hairdresser but not a beautician?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I never tip my hairdresser or beautician. I have only once tipped my beautician and that was because she gave me an appointment on a day that her salon doesn't open, which I was very grateful for as she didn't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mrsnewbie

I tip too for nails, eyebrows etc. unless I don't like the treatment I've had but always around the two to three euro mark.. I think its enough.

I wouldn't tip for bigger things like the laser.. it's so dear already.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I don't think its appropriate to tip therapists performing laser hair removal or microdermabrasion. Maybe for things like nails etc
    Ok thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement

Shauna16 wrote: »
    I would never not tip unless I was unhappy with the service. Why tip a hairdresser but not a beautician?

Well the cosmetic procedures were in excess of 150e per session...I’m not going to add a tip onto that. The only other treatment I’ve ever had was waxing and wasn’t sure of the etiquette for that, as I said the general consensus was that most (if not all) people I know don’t tip for that. As for nails basic facials etc, I don’t have that done but if I did I probably would tip if I was happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

I tip trainee's or if someone did something over and above the service I expected. Otherwise no, as I think hair and beauty services are over-priced.

I tip trainee's or if someone did something over and above the service I expected. Otherwise no, as I think hair and beauty services are over-priced.

Your right compared to other cities we are completely over charged. I usually tip my hairdresser if they've listened to me and carried out my instructions. If not, then no tip, which is the case alot of the time. Finding a quality hairdresser is unfortunately very difficult, so once I find one Ill tip to keep them happy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I was wondering myself about this the other day. Got a wax and my eye brows done and didnt tip but then wondered if you are supposed to.

I was wondering myself about this the other day. Got a wax and my eye brows done and didnt tip but then wondered if you are supposed to.

Really unsure about this, other than the hairdressers, waxing was the only other regular treatment I went for and didnt tip. People seem to really differ in oppinions for this :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I don't tip hairdressers or beauty therapists. I'm already paying or thir services, and I'm poor so I can only afford that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I never tip beauticians or hairdressers. They charge enough for the service already, plus I'm a student so I don't always have the extra cash to give!

My general rule is, only tip if the service is really above and beyond. That goes for waiters, taxi drivers, the lot. You're being charged plenty for what should be a good service, do only give extra if the service is fantastic.

jokettle wrote: »
    I never tip beauticians or hairdressers. They charge enough for the service already, plus I'm a student so I don't always have the extra cash to give!

My general rule is, only tip if the service is really above and beyond. That goes for waiters, taxi drivers, the lot. You're being charged plenty for what should be a good service, do only give extra if the service is fantastic.

What prompted this thread for me was that I was having a massage last night and I was unsure if you’re meant to tip or not since I never usually have massages. Id decided I would tip but turns out I didn’t because it was rubbish. It was suppost to be a 40min head/neck/shoulder massage. Well I got neck and shoulders but she didn’t even touch my head. And it was only 30 minutes long. I’m rubbish at complaining so I just didn’t tip and won’t be going back. I also won’t be recommending it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I've often wondered about this- I regularly get highlights/haircut; gel overlays; eyebrow threading/ tint; eyelash tint and I've never tipped. I didnt even realise other people did tip until I noticed (mostly older) women doing it in the hairdressers. I'm not a student but I'm not minted either and I honestly cant understand tipping when you're already paying quite a lot for the service. Especially given that the staff are getting a salary, unlike in the US, where they may be relying on tips. I dont know, I already spend a small fortune....I'm not sure if that makes me cheap!!If service was above and beyond, I certainly would but it rarely is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Most of the time it's not the therapist setting the prices so why punish them?

TBH it seems odd that people can afford a lot of treatments for 150 a pop but can't afford to give the therapist 5euro.
    I think tipping is an all or nothing thing. Either tip everyone for a good job in service industries or tip no one.

Massages - always tip barring an awful service. It's a physically demanding job and can be mentally draining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

TBH it seems odd that people can afford a lot of treatments for 150 a pop but can't afford to give the therapist 5euro.
    I think tipping is an all or nothing thing. Either tip everyone for a good job in service industries or tip no one.
    I feel like it's better to give nothing than to give a fiver on an expensive treatment because a fiver is such a small percentage of the cost.

At the end of the day, we do not have a tipping culture in the same way as the US has, therapists are paid better (although I'm sure they aren't paid much) and prices are inflated upwards for that.

It may not be the therapists' fault, but some things are just so expensive here. For example I got a deluxe pedi with shellac and glitter for 28 pounds in the UK last week. Over here the same thing would cost 60 euro. It's hard to pay so much for a treatment in Ireland and then pay even more on a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ivenus

I dont tip hairdressers or beauticians. I dOnt see why I should have to tip them for doing their jobs. I used to feel awkward about not tipping but not anymore. I cut down on the amount of time I get my hair cut & get waxibg done & rarely anymore get my nails done. I see doing all this as a treat ( expensive treat) so why should I have to fork out more money for someone for just doing their job when it costs afford already.

In the US it's so cheap to get nails, waxing etc done but these are pricey services over here

Most of the time it's not the therapist setting the prices so why punish them?

Massages - always tip barring an awful service. It's a physically demanding job and can be mentally draining.

The treatments that I’ve had for 150e (+) were carried out in River Medical and performed by a nurse. Tipping a nurse 5euro (or any amount) would have been a slap in the face in my opinion. From speaking to others since starting this threat the consensus seems to be that beauty therapists/technicians working for themselves (such as nail technicians) are to be tipped. Hairdressers and makeup artists also, but only if you’re happy with there work. After that point no, you have to draw a line at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lippy C

I used to tip everyone but I don't anymore I pay enough as it is for hairdressers,beauty etc. (Actually I do give the girl that washes my hair something a couple of times a month). I don't get tips on my job and many like me in other jobs don't get tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

jokettle wrote: »

This pretty much sums up my opinion on it too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement