Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distressed Leaving Dog While I Go On Hols

• 08-08-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I've had my dog 9 years and have only been out of the country ONCE in all that time as I am so nervous leaving her with anyone else. I left her in kennels for 4 nights a few years back and she hated that but at least I knew she was safe (ie couldn't go missing). This time I am leaving her with a lady in a house and my dog will be walked on the beach that she knows very well and it all seems ok.

I've met the lady walking other dogs on the beach and she always has them off the lead but I'm thinking since my dog is only used to walking off the lead with me maybe I'll get the lady to keep her on the lead the whole time. Am i being over cautious here?

I'm so distressed at the thought of anything happening to my girl that its nearly not worth going away and its only for 3 nights !!! I know, crazy.

Is there anything else I can do or say to the lady who's gonna mind my dog to ensure her safety? I'll be ringing the poor woman everyday, I'd say her head will be wrecked with me :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Is the woman a dog minder or is she a friend doing you a favour?

I would ensure she knows not to have your dog off the lead at all.

Give her your number, a number for someone you're travelling with and your vets number. I'm sure nothing will go wrong but just in case.

She won't mind you calling and texting. I'm sure she'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

Whispered wrote: »
    Is the woman a dog minder or is she a friend doing you a favour?

I would ensure she knows not to have your dog off the lead at all.

Give her your number, a number for someone you're travelling with and your vets number. I'm sure nothing will go wrong but just in case.

She won't mind you calling and texting. I'm sure she'll understand.

Shes a proper dog minder. She'll have another couple of dogs in the house at the same time as mine.

She always has dogs off the lead that she boards. I think thats so risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

if you're not happy, insist she keeps your dog on the lead. I walk mine off lead all the time but my dog sitter never does. To be honest, she says she doesnt want to, in case something happens.

Ask for regular texts, my sitter will text me at least twice a day to reassure me that they're eating and are happy and have been walked etc.

I feel your pain, I simply dont enjoy going away without mine. Am for Kerry this year and will be bringing them with me!

if you're not happy, insist she keeps your dog on the lead. I walk mine off lead all the time but my dog sitter never does. To be honest, she says she doesnt want to, in case something happens.

This is it exactly. I'll def have to insist on her being kept on the lead at all times. Its just madness otherwise.

My dog is always off the lead with me but the incentive is there to return to me. Theres no incentive with a total stranger.

I wish I could leave my dog in my apartment and get my car to drive her to the beach for a good long walk each day and then drop her back home.
    Thats reasonable ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I mind dogs at home and I would NEVER walk any of the dogs I take in off lead. I walk in fields and the beach and it's just too risky that a dog that doesn't know you would return to you. My own dogs run off lead but that's my risk (and they're really good on recall)

Perhaps this lady looks after these dogs on a regular basis and they respond to her as they would their owner? But it's still a huge risk in my opinion. I would suggest to her that she doesn't let your dog off lead because you don't trust your dog to come back (rather than suggesting that she's irresponsibile:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

If you don't trust this woman to carry out the simple request of keeping your dog on a lead then I'd question leaving the dog with her at all. Myself and the other half mind her mothers dog all the time but I would never dream of letting him off the lead incase something happened.
    If you don't think this lady can respect your wishes put the dog in kennels, otherwise there really is no point in heading away for a few days as you'll be sick with worry

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dog minder

I mind dogs and would never leave a dog who didn't know me well off the lead while walking. Dogs who are used to me can go off lead but only if they are well behaved and I always put them back on if there is any danger.

I would just let your minder know you want your dog on the lead at all times. I'm sure she won't have a problem with this. Also, don't worry about calling/texting every day. I would do the same if I were away from my dog. She won't mind this either if she is any good.:)

I've spoken with the lady a couple of times over the last couple of days and I told her that I don't want my dog off the lead even for a moment. I think shes realising very quickly that I am anxious about leaving my dog cos I'm basically not used to doing that.

I'm probably a bit OTT but I just can't help it :o

Advertisement