Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut oil and saturated fats...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hey all.
    So in the last few weeks I've started to use coconut oil ( extra virgin ) in my cooking and have also been adding it to shakes etc. but in the past day or two my wife has said my breath smells funny ( she says sweet) and I'm just wondering if anybody else has come across this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

I've been using Coconut Oil every day for over a year now and have never had that problem. So, maybe look at other possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

rubadub wrote: »
    It is in some dunnes and supervalus now too, usually a hell of a lot cheaper than health food shops. I get non-virgin, non-hydrogenated stuff in asian supermarkets.

Ditto. I've never seen the virgin or extra virgin stuff in the shops I go to (The English Market in Cork is fairly comprehensive for weird ingredients).

The health food stores in Cork are vastly overpriced anyway and paying 3 euro for non virgin coconut oil version two or three times than for organic whale loving coconut oil isn't on my list of things to do.

All the veg I eat is organic by accident, I go to the stall with the best broccoli and it all happens to be organic :)

As an aside, I tried something new last night:

mash up a stock cube with olive oil, rub it on chicken fillets (i wrap them in cling film and bash the f*ck out of them with a pestle first). Boil up some rice. When the chicken is fried and the rice is cooked pour the rice into the pan with the chicken and put in a tablespoon of coconut oil, man it tastes so good when it's all mixed together! throw in broccoli too!

Carraig95 wrote: »
    I've been using Coconut Oil every day for over a year now and have never had that problem. So, maybe look at other possibilities.

Thanks Carraig. I dont notice it so Im not too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Thanks Carraig. I dont notice it so Im not too bothered.

You old romantic you...

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    You old romantic you...

Haha. That does sound terrible.

I totally ment bothered in the medical sense don't you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

I just came across this thread and took a solid teaspoon of the coconut oil I bought for my hair (works great for hair!), it was unpleasant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PlayGirl wrote: »
    it was unpleasant :(
    Try cooking something with it instead. I like chips cooked in lard but would not find a spoon of lard appetising.

Some do like it though, but some seem to have a no pain no gain attitude, and might be forcing down spoons of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it grows on you with time. don't take a huge amount at first, a little teaspoon full once a day for the first week or two then slowly bump up the amount as time goes on.
    or don't, it does have a texture that I can see not being to peoples taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i use it too, great stuff .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I take a teaspoon twice daily and it has helped the dryness in my hands (stupid eternally cold winter). The backs of my knuckles still feel a little rough, but the irritation/itch is completely gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I take a teaspoon twice daily and it has helped the dryness in my hands (stupid eternally cold winter). The backs of my knuckles still feel a little rough, but the irritation/itch is completely gone

I bought a really expensive one in Nourish for exactly this purpose (well when i say expensive I mean 4 times the cost of the Cocowell one you can get in Dunnes and Superquinn which is 5.99), it was in a jar and it smashed a couple of weeks in :mad: I then discovered the Cocowell one about three weeks ago, and I have to say, it isn't doing as good a job as the more expensive brand (I can't remember the name of it!)

Does anyone know why raw cold pressed virgin coconut oil (so it says on the jars of both) can range from between 6 euros to 26 euros (not much of a difference in weight either, about 100gm give or take).... does the quality of virgin coconut oils differ that much? I don't know if my mind's playing tricks on me but I could swear the more expensive one relieved my dry chapped skin a lot quicker than this cheaper brand seems to be, it feels like it's just sitting on top of my skin this time and not being drank in by it at all. thanks if anyone can help!!

PlayGirl wrote: »
    it was unpleasant :(

227154d1185921862-maxim-magazine-presents-the-most-obscure-simpsons-characters-2977_lemon_biter_l1.jpeg

Advertisement