Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After 6 Years I Got My Investment Back from Bank of Ireland

• 08-08-2012 5:34pm

i came away furious 6 years it was away not one penny was made :mad::mad::mad:
    and i have another one next year and probally get notting

recession
    recession
    recession

she had a smug look on her face telling me it hard for her also (as if) :mad:

only thing i sad it her was look im leaving before i say something i regret

( in my mind i was knocking her around the giddy bitch )

i swear ive never been treated so badly in all my life i just feel so down my only dream was to own my home

Banks I fcuking Swear

Rant Over

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

you should have went to ranting and raving...

now let the piss take commence :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Your tears are delicious. They sustain us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Getting your investment back given what's gone on over past 6 years with the economy seems like a success to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

After my first go at that I thought I'd forgotten how to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:) Could have been worse you could have banked with Seany Anglo ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

You had enough money that you could invest some of it?
    Lucky you.

Apologies if I'm reading this wrong, but I'm taking your post to mean that while your investment didn't make you any money, you didn't really lose any on it? So you've just been given a lump sum? And you're due to get another one next year?

Jesus, count your blessings. And stop blaming customer-facing bank staff, it's hardly their fault you didn't make a killing on a long-shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Past Performance is not guarantee of future results.

They had it stuck in an index tracker but with your capital guaranteed.
    Happened to lots of people with the tech crash and 9/11 in the past. That was the excuse that was trotted out when what happened to you also affected them.
    Massive drawdown in late 2008 and it hasn't recovered. Ah buy and hold how I love thee!

You'd be better off looking up a basic trend following system and invest in an index etf fund rather than giving it to the 'professionals' to simply stick it in an index fund for you.

so boards.ie has turned people taking the piss and not actualy discussing events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

No I have to say I know what you're going through and people not in the situation won't give a fúck or have a clue anyway.

When starting this investment, the smarmy pricks make it seem like they are doing you a favor and give you all the glam side of things. I've had a few "financial advisors" which loosely translates into crap sales people, explain how no one could have predicted the recession, etc etc. Which any ACTUAL financial advisor will say is nonsense and it bloody is.

I pulled mine after 4 years, taking a €100 penalty or so. Like that I had the dope in the bank then tell me I'm lucky I opted for the no risk on original capital option. Maybe I am, all thanks to me mind you and not the cúnt saleswoman who originally advised me.

Same goes for practically every dick I've dealt with since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

recession
    recession
    recession

i swear ive never been treated so badly in all my life i just feel so down my only dream was to own my home

Banks I fcuking Swear

Rant Over

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn;t it say that the calue can go down as well as up and that no gain is gurranteed?

You chould get down on your knees and thank the good peopel of the bank for not losing any of your money!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

so boards.ie has turned people taking the piss and not actualy discussing events

Just After Hours - it is the anus of Boards.ie

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Sorry mate,

You invested and you lost, that is what can happen when you take a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

tajd wrote: »

This isn't a fûcking event.

Notice our problem?

Maybe try the Investments forum, give those poor bastards a laugh for once :D

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn;t it say that the calue can go down as well as up and that no gain is gurranteed?

You chould get down on your knees and thank the good peopel of the bank for not losing any of your money!

it was ganurenteed so i didnt lose anything i just got what i put in im just saying after 6 years notting was made

and she was really smug and not very nice saying shes sorry the look on her face was she didnt really care

Jay D wrote: »
    No I have to say I know what you're going through and people not in the situation won't give a fúck or have a clue anyway.

When starting this investment, the smarmy pricks make it seem like they are doing you a favor and give you all the glam side of things. I've had a few "financial advisors" which loosely translates into crap sales people, explain how no one could have predicted the recession, etc etc. Which any ACTUAL financial advisor will say is nonsense and it bloody is.

I pulled mine after 4 years, taking a €100 penalty or so. Like that I had the dope in the bank then tell me I'm lucky I opted for the no risk on original capital option. Maybe I am, all thanks to me mind you and not the cúnt saleswoman who originally advised me.

Same goes for practically every dick I've dealt with since.

Exactly. They are sales people. Not professional financial advisors.
    They work on commission and couldn't give a toss about your investments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

recession
    recession
    recession

Also?

You just got back your investment. You're acting as though some awful injustice has been served upon you.

Explain the injustice, if so. Did the bank fail to honour their contract to you? Or was it just that you were anticipating a yield that was not realized on your (sing it with me!) in·vest·ment (inˈves(t)mənt/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

AdMMM wrote: »
    Getting your investment back given what's gone on over past 6 years with the economy seems like a success to me!

+1

Countless amount of people have lost money in this recession, be it on investments or whatever.

Although definitely not ideal, the bank basically ensured that your money was kept safe for the 6 years and didn't lose any of it.

I'd wager that if you hadn't put it in the bank you wouldn't be getting all of it back right now, and I'd be surprised if you had managed to make a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

it was ganurenteed so i didnt lose anything i just got what i put in im just saying after 6 years notting was made

and she was really smug and not very nice saying shes sorry the look on her face was she didnt really care

It can't have been that big of a shock. The World Economy went tits up, the Banks are ruined, Global Recessions - did you miss all that?

If you got out with a return of zero % from the last six years you did better than many others.

I am going to the shop and while there I am going to invest in a Euromillions ticket I feel mad so it will be a whopping 9euros worth.

On the grounds I am playing to win, will I get a full refund if those numbers don't come up.????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Terms and conditions apply :eek:

• Advertisement

if i want someone else to manage it i'll stick it in a savings account building up interest
    if i want to really invest, i'll do it myself and manage it myself

on the plus side you didnt lose money op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a recession is your house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Wish I could get my pension out for the same money I've put into it. Seriously, cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

That bitch, and she stole all of your full stops and commas and everything.

I bought prizebonds I have won 75euro 6 times in 10 years, but interest rates are so low that is actually a good return.

Plus you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I dont know what a tracker mortgage is ...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

recession
    recession
    recession

Banks I fcuking Swear

Rant Over

I'd be more annoyed at those English teachers if I were you op.
    Seriosuly wtf are you on about ?

Here's what you should do next time OP considering that such products put the money in index trackers anyway.

Find a charting website (barchart.com)
    Do a search on for example the FTSE 100 "Dobbo:...and in financial news today"

Open up the 'Technical Chart' option.
    Set the 'Frequency' as Weekly Chart.
    Set the 'Time Period' as '1 Year'
    Click on 'Draw Chart'
    You'll now see the Open-High-Low-Close 'ticks' for every week of the past year for the FTSE 100 index.

From the Add Study section, select 'Moving Average, Simple' and change the value to 30.
    Again from the Add Study section, select 'Moving Average, Simple' and change the value to 50.

Now, select 'Update Chart'.
    You should now see 2 smoothed out lines indicating the moving average of the closing prices.

Now, if the 30 week moving average is greater than the 50 week moving average, then you might invest in an indexed etf for the FTSE100 as the general trend is moving up. Simply open a broker account and buy an exhanged traded fund (etf).

Once the 30 week ma drops below the 50 week ma, then that's you're cue to exit so to speak and avoid a major bear market as seen after Lehmans. (Note: the October 1987 crash should be noted here i.e. a 30% collapse in one day, though the market was positive by the end of 1987).

If the 30 week moving average is less than the 50 week moving average then the trend is down and you should keep funds in an interest account.

This can be applied to any indexed market but mainly for the major stock indices (nasdaq, s&p 500 etc).

It's a basic and passive long term trend investing system and requires you to simply check in every week to see what the story is. Keep it invested (30>50), Keep Out (30<50).

That way you might actually stand a chance to make some money and avoid dealing with smug a-holes in the banks working on commission instead of weaving a story of how the world of investing is fraught with danger whereas they simply take your cheque, lodge it with a life assurance company who lodge it with a pooled fund into an index tracker fund that performs magnificently during a bull market and is a total stinker during a bear market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

biko wrote: »
    There's a recession is your house?

three by the looks of it.

• Advertisement

Colmustard wrote: »
    I bought prizebonds I have won 75euro 6 times in 10 years, but interest rates are so low that is actually a good return.

Plus you never know.

I've had prize bonds stretching back to when I was a kid (I'm 31 and they were given as presents) and picked up a few more along the way. My 2 kids have gotten some as presents too. Never won a penny on any of them.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hey OP lucky you didn't come on here looking sympathy anyways :rolleyes:

I've had prize bonds stretching back to when I was a kid (I'm 31 and they were given as presents) and picked up a few more along the way. My 2 kids have gotten some as presents too. Never won a penny on any of them.:(

I have at least 10 grand worth. I like them as well for the reason, it is a bit of a hassle to cash them. You have to get a form fill it in and get a registered mail and post it to Kerry. Then they credit your bank account.

So it makes you think twice about stupid spending.

I have at least 10 grand worth..

Ah right. I dont.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Tulips. I've heard tulips are going to be the next big thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

recession
    recession
    recession

Banks I fcuking Swear

Rant Over

Terms and conditions apply.

Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Sorry

• Advertisement

Frozen Orange juice. Get all your money on it.

Seriously get your money on grain futures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

With Silver.

Gold if you can afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

"I know this horse, he's a dead cert..."

V_Moth wrote: »
    "I know this horse, he's a dead cert..."

It really is a dead cert, there is a draught right across america which is the bread basket of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Maybe you should invest it all in pumpkins. They tend to go up in price through October and usually peak in January which is when you should cash in. Then you can go back to the bank and laugh at that bitch that gave you your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Mustard...

grains?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Pork bellies, baby.

OP, you had an escape, be thankful. I don't know why you expect a bank employee to be contrite for what the markets do.

It really is a dead cert, there is a draught right across america which is the bread basket of the world.

A bit of a breeze is hardly going to make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tbh **** going into the banks and using one of their standard investment products. If you've a decent wedge of cash and have neither the time nor wherewithal to actually research the market for something that'd suit you, go and talk to someone with the letters CFA after their name. You'll generally get sound advice off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I love the attitude of "Oh so you had money to put towards investing"

Like anybody knows how he/she got the money? It was probably earned if he/she was relying on the pay off to buy a house it stands to reason they aren't a high roller and worked for their money. Yet if you're fiscally responsible in the country and not a complete jackoff that threw their money away and then lost their job and is now penniless, you are somehow expected to be thankful and gracious.

You're right to be pissed off OP. Them's the breaks though. Was it an investment account that was being invested in Blue Chips or not? I know they were talking a big game about those.

Did you see those new fandangled Hula hoops or rubix cubes.

OP why don't you just treat your returned principle as a windfall. Go on a weekend break or something.

A bit of a breeze is hardly going to make a difference.

Yes it will that is how they pollinate.
    HE He got out of looking stupid with that typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No silly, it wasn't gone for six years and then made nothing. It was gone for six years and made nothing for you. You can rest assured your money was not resting on a beach sipping Mojitos, it was hard at work, just not for you. The financial services industry loves people who hand them money, they make it slog away dawn to dusk, but then hand back the principal(or a lot less, or nothing:)) and say"tssssk, those damn markets, anyway, good luck now". There is a reason they have nice cars, and nice buildings, and happily, you and everyone like you are that reason. On behalf of your Financial adviser, I thank you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

OP has actually lost money when you take into account inflation, opportunity cost and the time value of money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement