Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After 6 Years I Got My Investment Back from Bank of Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Umaro wrote: »
    OP has actually lost money when you take into account inflation, opportunity cost and the time value of money.

True but he still got his principle, this is not the saddest story I have heard during this recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You pay a front end commission (15% or more imo), and probably an annual fee. It would be a miracle if your investment was profitable.
    Do your investment yourself. Why let a monkey do your pin-sticking when you can do it.
    But, but, but "they're the experts". No, they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

I found a savings book from 1985 with £5 in it. Would I still be able to cash that in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

i came away furious 6 years it was away not one penny was made :mad::mad::mad:
    and i have another one next year and probally get notting

recession
    recession
    recession

she had a smug look on her face telling me it hard for her also (as if) :mad:

only thing i sad it her was look im leaving before i say something i regret

( in my mind i was knocking her around the giddy bitch )

i swear ive never been treated so badly in all my life i just feel so down my only dream was to own my home

Banks I fcuking Swear

Rant Over

So you did something in a bank (still not clear), it went wrong

You got mad at the counter to a cashier who probably had nothing to do with it (and isn't on good money btw)

Then you fantasize about beating up a woman?

You sound like an ass. And you can't construct a sentence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I found a savings book from 1985 with £5 in it. Would I still be able to cash that in?

Yes you can and you will be surprised by the amount.

Colmustard wrote: »
    Yes you can and you will be surprised by the amount.

About 27cent or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Was that an Evergreen account? My wife invested money left by her Mother in that account in 2007. It was guaranteed not to lose money. But we were promised that it always made a profit in the past. Well at one stage it was down 29k. It's due next year so we'll get it all back but essentially we have lost money overall because in any other account we would have made some money. We can't touch it now because we'll take the losses. So we have a year to go.

The irony of it all was that the lady in the bank pointed out that anyone who invested in 2009 is actually up. Yeah thanks for that.:mad:

It's lousy timing, OP, not the Bank's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'm in the same boat. Invested my money at the wrong time but it's slowly crawling it's way back up to the starting value.
    Initially invested 20k which hit a low of 14k mid 2008 and now it's back up to 18k.

4k in 4 years is pretty good in my opinion. In a way I'm glad that I decided to go for the safer investment plan as it would have been alot less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

i swear ive never been treated so badly in all my life
    You've lived a very, very privileged life in that case. You swore on that, remember.

You gave a company a chunk of money to invest, they said they would do their best, but can't guarantee you winning money from your gamble, but they'd guarantee your initial investment. They stuck to their word, and you got pissy and moany when the person working there showed empathy for your situation (the situation that you personally agreed to, in writing - ie you swore you were happy with the agreement) and made an apparent smug face while empathising with you.

When will people learn to take responsibility for their actions? That's one of the reasons why the recession happened in the first place for goodness sake.

And when did the worst thing that ever happen to someone involve a smug look on someone's face when handing over a large chunk of money? Count yourself lucky you have money, food, internet and at worst - smug faces to look at in your darkest hour. If you asked some other people what the worst they had been treated in their life is, some would say "I've been raped" or "My whole family was murdered in front of me" or "I've been physically and mentally tortured by my government" or "I had to read this god awful first post" for example. Stop hating, start enjoying the world.

People, I f*cking swear. Rant over.

Gordon wrote: »

People, I f*cking swear. Rant over.

Marry me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

A woman working in bank not earning what she wants and probably having to deal with **** like you all day wasn't sincere? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Here's what you should do next time OP considering that such products put the money in index trackers anyway.

Find a charting website (barchart.com)
    Do a search on for example the FTSE 100 "Dobbo:...and in financial news today"

Open up the 'Technical Chart' option.
    Set the 'Frequency' as Weekly Chart.
    Set the 'Time Period' as '1 Year'
    Click on 'Draw Chart'
    You'll now see the Open-High-Low-Close 'ticks' for every week of the past year for the FTSE 100 index.

From the Add Study section, select 'Moving Average, Simple' and change the value to 30.
    Again from the Add Study section, select 'Moving Average, Simple' and change the value to 50.

Now, select 'Update Chart'.
    You should now see 2 smoothed out lines indicating the moving average of the closing prices.

Now, if the 30 week moving average is greater than the 50 week moving average, then you might invest in an indexed etf for the FTSE100 as the general trend is moving up. Simply open a broker account and buy an exhanged traded fund (etf).

Once the 30 week ma drops below the 50 week ma, then that's you're cue to exit so to speak and avoid a major bear market as seen after Lehmans. (Note: the October 1987 crash should be noted here i.e. a 30% collapse in one day, though the market was positive by the end of 1987).

If the 30 week moving average is less than the 50 week moving average then the trend is down and you should keep funds in an interest account.

This can be applied to any indexed market but mainly for the major stock indices (nasdaq, s&p 500 etc).

It's a basic and passive long term trend investing system and requires you to simply check in every week to see what the story is. Keep it invested (30>50), Keep Out (30<50).

That way you might actually stand a chance to make some money and avoid dealing with smug a-holes in the banks working on commission instead of weaving a story of how the world of investing is fraught with danger whereas they simply take your cheque, lodge it with a life assurance company who lodge it with a pooled fund into an index tracker fund that performs magnificently during a bull market and is a total stinker during a bear market.

I see you've played knifey spooney before...... and read big money little effort

which is a slightly misleading title (the best you can hope for but not spectacular returns if you dont want to take too much of a risk would be a more accurate if slightly cumbersome title)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn;t it say that the calue can go down as well as up and that no gain is gurranteed?

You chould get down on your knees and thank the good peopel of the bank for not losing any of your money!

I think they actually say that the value can 'go down as well as plummet'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Early 2008 I was seconds away from signing up to a pension which would have been swallowing a decent fraction of my monthly pay (along with a lump sum to kick it off), had thought it over and split it between low risk and medium risk products, the woman went to get her electronic signature pad, came back and couldn't get it to work so told me to call back in whenever suited me.

Started to have 2nd thoughts and put it off a bit, recession came on the horizon and I stayed away for good

Electronic glitches ftw :cool:

Summary: got lucky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

amacca wrote: »
    I see you've played knifey spooney before...... and read big money little effort

which is a slightly misleading title (the best you can hope for but not spectacular returns if you dont want to take too much of a risk would be a more accurate if slightly cumbersome title)

And reading it (Shipmans Book) and his previous book kept my moolah on the table pre-Lehmans and for that I am grateful. The point is, money is a simple concept made complex by idiots.

In order to understand the markets think Homer on his hospital bed. "Price goes up, pirce goes down, price goes up, price goes down"

Those interested should research Richard Dennis and William Eckhardts 1980's 'intellectual debate' which resulted in the Turtles legend.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

i came away furious 6 years it was away not one penny was made :mad::mad::mad:
    and i have another one next year and probally get notting

recession
    recession
    recession

she had a smug look on her face telling me it hard for her also (as if) :mad:

only thing i sad it her was look im leaving before i say something i regret

( in my mind i was knocking her around the giddy bitch )

i swear ive never been treated so badly in all my life i just feel so down my only dream was to own my home

Banks I fcuking Swear

Rant Over

Do you even know what a tracker mortgage is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I always thought a tracker mortgage was when a bank loaned you money and put a tracker chip in you so if you didn't pay they could blow you up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I had £1 (punt) in a P.O. savings acount for 20 ish years. Got well over a hundred euro back. Amazing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

it was ganurenteed so i didnt lose anything i just got what i put in im just saying after 6 years notting was made

and she was really smug and not very nice saying shes sorry the look on her face was she didnt really care

I would thank your lucky stars you went with a guaranteed one plenty of people have lost their initial amount. you should look on the up side the money buys more now than it would have 6 years ago.
    The fact you still have money is a good thing. if the euro stays intact and things start getting better you can make more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah yes,
    Someone moans about the banks (and rightfully so as the banks are terrible) and he gets blasted by everyone... especially the usual "you had money to invest? no recession in your house" spiel

mud wrote: »
    I had £1 (punt) in a P.O. savings acount for 20 ish years. Got well over a hundred euro back. Amazing :)

:eek:

This is interesting. Very interesting. Although it's an ulster bank account so I won't hold out much hope!

Advertisement