Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer mugs..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Bull and Castle sell this kind for €5. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hpyUv-T_Z8s/ToNfYIN7MEI/AAAAAAAADsY/bI1iksj8Qg8/s1600/metalmanalternator.jpg

If you ask nicely they might look through their collection of old glasses and see if they can find one similar to the one in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Amazon? Would that be included in a free shipping order (over 25 euro?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ando wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Quick question, do you know where I could source a glass beer mug? Something like this one:

http://www.germansteins.com/products/Dimpled-Oktoberfest-Glass-Beer-Mug-0.5-Liter.html

Might sound like an easy thing, but these glasses are difficult to get!!

http://www.erdinger-fanshop.de/glaeser-kruege-kruege-c-22_55.html

Might be of interest to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

You can get them at Oktoberfest. They do 3 different sizes as far as I know. You pay a deposit of €5 for the glass but you can just take it with you. I have 2 from a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Zebra3 wrote: »

English language version of above (lovely beer as well)

http://www.erdinger-fanshop.de/glaeser-kruege-c-22.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Thanks guys, thats helped a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sure I saw them in Tesco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've wanted one of these for ages.
    You can buy them from the brewery website but they don't ship to Ireland.
    It's designed to be the "ultimate" beer glass, cost them thousands to develop it!

function-over-form.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I've always found the best glasses for drinking standard beers (as opposed to more complex Belgian style stuff) were the traditional English "Pint Pot", which has a good heft to it, the addition of a handle so you don't warm the pint while holding it & a simple yet very elegant aesthetic beauty in its design. They're getting harder to find these days, which is a pity as I reckon they're a design classic.

pintpot1-300x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Custardpi wrote: »
    I've always found the best glasses for drinking standard beers (as opposed to more complex Belgian style stuff) were the traditional English "Pint Pot", which has a good heft to it, the addition of a handle so you don't warm the pint while holding it & a simple yet very elegant aesthetic beauty in its design. They're getting harder to find these days, which is a pity as I reckon they're a design classic.

Not like they serve em very cold anyway! :D

But those glasses are very nice to drink from alright

• Advertisement

Not like they serve em very cold anyway! :D

But those glasses are very nice to drink from alright

Well yeah I guess if you're drinking a bitter served in the traditional style that's probably not as important :D, but for maintaining the temperature of a nice German or Czech lager they're great for drinking from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

the old guinness glass with the handle was a true classic

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

Seaneh wrote: »
    I've wanted one of these for ages.
    You can buy them from the brewery website but they don't ship to Ireland.
    It's designed to be the "ultimate" beer glass, cost them thousands to develop it!

I was over in Boston last year and found it very nice to drink from. I wouldn't mind all the gimmickery though, it sounds about as bad as "mountains turning blue", and really do people buy a drink based on the drink itself or the glass.

emco wrote: »
    I was over in Boston last year and found it very nice to drink from. I wouldn't mind all the gimmickery though, it sounds about as bad as "mountains turning blue", and really do people buy a drink based on the drink itself or the glass.

I drank from one in a bar in Oregon and I loved it. feels nice in the hand, really helps the smell of hops.
    The bar had SA lager on tap but I order a local IPA and the Barman recommended the glass to me as he said it was his favourite to drink from.

I also tried a few porters and wild ales form it and they all worked perfectly form that glass.

The blub and then the flared lip really help with aroma and taste.

I didn't think it would make a difference from the normal "shaker" glasses everything seems to come in over there but it really does.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

I drank from one in a bar in Oregon and I loved it. feels nice in the hand, really helps the smell of hops.
    The bar had SA lager on tap but I order a local IPA and the Barman recommended the glass to me as he said it was his favourite to drink from.

I also tried a few porters and wild ales form it and they all worked perfectly form that glass.

The blub and then the flared lip really help with aroma and taste.

I didn't think it would make a difference from the normal "shaker" glasses everything seems to come in over there but it really does.

I'd say a good off licence could get gift sets that come with the glass in if you begged them!

It would match the Belgian gift sets for popularity I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Custardpi wrote: »

pintpot1-300x300.jpg

W J Kavanaghs on Dorset St serve their cask ale in these glasses and it really adds to the experience imo.
    They're lovely to drink from, and with cask having little to no fizz it can sometimes mute the aroma, but with these you can actually get a little more out of the beer because of the great wide opening!

slayerking wrote: »
    W J Kavanaghs on Dorset St serve their cask ale in these glasses and it really adds to the experience imo.
    They're lovely to drink from, and with cask having little to no fizz it can sometimes mute the aroma, but with these you can actually get a little more out of the beer because of the great wide opening!

Thanks, that's not too far away from me, might drop in for a pint some time. Have you seen that type of glass for sale anywhere in Dublin btw? Picked up one in a charity shop a couple of years ago & it was great to drink from but unfortunately it got broken & I haven't come across them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Oktoberfest is coming up soon so Erdinger will have those 1 Ltr Steins floating around the place. Just be nice to the publican and they might let you have one.

And the Samuel Adams ones. Samuel Adams is coming soon on Draught so Glasses will come as well althought we're not sure they will be the same as the US ones because of the Fluid onces etc.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Oktoberfest is coming up soon so Erdinger will have those 1 Ltr Steins floating around the place. Just be nice to the publican and they might let you have one.

And the Samuel Adams ones. Samuel Adams is coming soon on Draught so Glasses will come as well althought we're not sure they will be the same as the US ones because of the Fluid onces etc.

They won't be those ones I posted, just a regular sam adams shaker or tulip english pint I'd imagine.

Those ones other ones aren't even very common in the states.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Samuel Adams glass would be illegal for draught beer in the UK, though Shepherd Neame might commission their own UK-compliant version for the Samuel Adams they're brewing. Some of the big UK importers like James Clay have done that.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Samuel Adams glass would be illegal for draught beer in the UK, though Shepherd Neame might commission their own UK-compliant version for the Samuel Adams they're brewing. Some of the big UK importers like James Clay have done that.

They won't bother.

Sam Adems don't insist on it being sold on those glasses in the US, most places just use shaker glasses like the one below because they are a lot cheaper and sturdier. The fancy glasses are really just for gift sets and stuff.

samadams.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Is Samual Adams coming to Ireland? Do you know where?

IT is being brewed in the UK by Shepherd Neame.
    BB might know who the importer is (could be him!).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

redalan wrote: »
    Is Samual Adams coming to Ireland? Do you know where?

Yes and Not yet. It's still up in the air at the moment but if you keep an eye on http://www.facebook.com/NoreastBeers?ref=hl then you should be the first to know. (well second, after me)
    IT is being brewed in the UK by Shepherd Neame.
    BB might know who the importer is (could be him!).

See above. I work for the importer, Noreast Beers. It is being brewed by Shepherd Neame. It has taken a little longer only because they have to get the yeast strain cultivated/cultured in the UK, approved some and some more and some more(you know yourself - standards are high) and then a UK on trade test of the market.

So watch the Bookface page and you'll see it pop up all around the country soon.

In fact read this: Just back in office and only saw this http://www.facebook.com/DrinksIndustryIreland They have a few lines(similar to what I said here - maybe they read it on here) on Sam Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

O/P - The German stein glasses appear in lidl around october for their oktoberfest promotions.A friend of mine got one last year. I personally use a half liter Krug which is a pottery/stone mug which has a handle but not a lid really good for for keeping beer cold.I must have it for at least 15 years now.
    It's like the one in the link below.

http://www.steins.com/Undecorated/4129.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

BeerNut wrote: »

Why is that? Is it something to do with UK measures have to be in pint, half pint etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Why is that? Is it something to do with UK measures have to be in pint, half pint etc?

An English pint is 568ml compared to an American pint which is 474ml so a pint in an american glass wouldn't have the same amount of beer in it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes. Third-pint, half-pint, two-thirds pint, pint, and multiple-of-pint are the only measures in which draught beer may be served in the UK. In most (all?) the rest of the EU, as long as you give the cutsomer sufficient notice of measures and pricing, any measure is legal.

The Bavarian Beerhouse in London serves 1.13L measures in its masskrugs :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

laros wrote: »

An English pint is 568ml compared to an American pint which is 474ml so a pint in an american glass wouldn't have the same amount of beer in it.

Of course, but it's perfectly legal to buy an american pint, or 500ml, or any other amount you wish in Ireland. As beernut has now clarified, an English pub couldn't sell that measure. I suppose they could measure out a half or 2/3 pit and pour it into one of those glasses though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

very common glasses in poland etc if ya knew any of them im sure they would get ya one easily enough

have a tyskie one myself

Advertisement