Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving 2 dogs to New York??

• 08-08-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Right ill Expalin, i currently am lucky enough to have a steady job, but it struck me if that ever went bad, and i was unemployed, the place i would be heading would be New York City as i have a few connections over there.
    But the problem is i have 2 dogs who are part of my family and there isnt a hope in hell they would be left behind. It is either they go with me or i dont go, simple as.
    They are a Mini Jack Russell and a Staffordshire Terrier.
    They are chipped, wormed, fully Vacinated, and healthy as horses.
    Now the questions i have are:

Could i take them with me to New York??
    Would it be Expensive??
    Would there be any reason they couldnt go??
    Is it easy find affordable accomodation in NYC for a 2 people with Dogs??

Thanks for the help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html

Keep in mind you'd need to check the specific requirements for NY as each state's regs can differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Scamper

Cool thanks, has anyone experienced this first hand

I've done the opposite - moved my dog from the States to here. Honestly I'd do it again but it was a big cost (his plane tix cost more than mine), not to mention all the pre-departure hoops we had to jump through. A lot of stress, much more than just moving myself internationally.

Just hope your job situation never gets to the point that you have to pursue this possibility for real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

it's generally easy to bring dogs into the States (it does vary a bit from state to state). As long as you have a record of their vaccinations you should be fine. There's no strict requirements for quarantine like we have here.

What about finding rented accomodation that allows pets, would that be tough??

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it'd be as tough as it is anywhere. People do have dogs in NYC, so it is possible. If you're really thinking about it why don't you do some googling for rental agencies in NYC to get a feel for what's available? Keep in mind that whatever rent you'd have in NYC will be insanely expensive (and pet friendly places probably even more so) so I wouldn't be jumping into a move anytime soon if you can avoid it.

Not to mention the legality of moving over...assuming you're not a US citizen, have you considered what it takes to get a Work Visa? Not an easy feat by any stretch. And working illegally will double your burden - your wages won't be as good, you'll be without insurance (a big scarey situation over there) & you'll have the extra burden of getting caught & booted out for a *very* long time, possibily permanently.

IMO, bringing dogs over would be the least of your worries. My advice? Hold onto your work here, stay here, move within the EU if you have to.

Well as i said i have permanent work here, and plan to stay but if that ever went( it could as i work in the motor trade) i just want to know my options mate, thanks for your help

Advertisement