Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slow download speeds - alternatives?

Options
  • 08-08-2012 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I can only connect my PS3 via WIFI. The download speeds are far too slow (I have 50Mbit UPC but the 1393MB BF3 update has taken 4 mins for 9% so far... no doubt due to the WIFI).

Can I download updates online and install via USB or something to the PS3?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Going to bump this.

Last month or so I've been getting absolutely chronically slow download speeds on the ps3 while everything else is normal. Very annoying when I'm downloading the ps plus games, think I'm getting around 300kb/s (even overnight) which is killing me. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Random wrote: »
    Can I download updates online and install via USB or something to the PS3?

Thanks

You can download system updates on PC, not aware of game updates being available to download on pc.
    Going to bump this.

Last month or so I've been getting absolutely chronically slow download speeds on the ps3 while everything else is normal. Very annoying when I'm downloading the ps plus games, think I'm getting around 300kb/s (even overnight) which is killing me. Any ideas?

You could try these, http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/Solwise_HomePlugs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Is the slow download speed just because of the wifi?

It used to be fine for downloading and I can still play online relatively lag free... Netflix has gotten slightly worse, buffers a bit more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

wifi is my only option here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's simple: the PS3's network capabilities are awful. Everyone suffers the same problems, alas. One just has to put up with it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I am with F1ngers on this - I only just started to use the powerline plugs - they use your plugs as a basic network extender. For the first time in years I can finally stream from a PC again - so don't dismiss it out of hand.

As an FYI - part of why I took so long was that the PS3 was plugged into a surge protector - was told that due to this I could not use the powerline - but it works - maybe not at full strength but it is definitely faster than the WiFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

my ethernet port is not working right so wifi is really my only choice.

ah well. thanks anyway.

Advertisement