Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract between self employed and a company

Options
  • 08-08-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

so, I'm registered for an income tax = I am a self employed.
    But here comes one company that needs my services for 3 weeks.

They say that Revenue has said them that they can't take me as a self emloyed so they will employ me just for those 3 weeks and pay taxes in my place.

Is there a reason why company can't make agreement with me as a self employed and I pay all my taxes? Why Revenue says them so?

I will try to call Revenue in the morning, but would like to solve this mystery this evening if anybody knows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/code-of-practice-on-employment-status.pdf

There are examples companies engaging people as self employed when they in fact an employee. Perhaps this company has been subject to an audit and found to be misclassifying employees.

Look at it another way. If the company engages you as self employed then could you work 12 hours per day and get the job done in 2 weeks or bring someone else with you and get it done in half the time?

It is a little odd that they are doing this for a 3 week engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

There has to be more to it than this. I can't see why revenue would have an issue with this. I'm guessing this company has got into trouble for doing this long term before and dont want to take a chance.

What happens if they need an electrican for a week or two to do some wiring, do they make them a full employee?

Once you can show revenue that your working for other people as the need arises, there should be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

I agree, perhaps the OP would let us know what trade/profession they are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Assuming the OP is not in the construction related sector, where C2 cert may required, all he has to do is provide an invoice for his services clearly showing his name and adddress, to be paid gross. He does not have to be VAT registered.
    We do this all the time with individuals and with agencies who provide contract staff and we pay them gross, but alweays against an invoice.

Advertisement