Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could salt contamination be my problem

• 08-08-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Have had an issue with my chimney for a while, basically I've alot of damp on the inside ... the exterior of the chimney has been replastered and coated with stuff to make water flow off it, the flashing replaced, a cowl placed on the top and a vent downstairs so it can breathe ... but still the fecker won't dry out inside. Could it be that the plaster won't dry out as it's contaminated and will absorb any humidity going inside or is it likely to be water ingress through some tiny fracture somewhere? Any ideas?

2012-08-08185631.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

dubber wrote: »
    Have had an issue with my chimney for a while, basically I've alot of damp on the inside ... the exterior of the chimney has been replastered and coated with stuff to make water flow off it, the flashing replaced, a cowl placed on the top and a vent downstairs so it can breathe ... but still the fecker won't dry out inside. Could it be that the plaster won't dry out as it's contaminated and will absorb any humidity going inside or is it likely to be water ingress through some tiny fracture somewhere? Any ideas?

2012-08-08185631.jpg

the damp could just be rising up from floor level and most likely is if you have had the outside sealed..salt should not do tht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

nothing to do with salt i'd say. did you go up and inspect the repaired work to see if it was done properly, i'd suspect that would be your problem. the plaster might have a tiny crack in it or the flashing has been done wrong also check for cracked slates or tiles.

Advertisement