Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billing address issue

Options
  • 08-08-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is my 3rd attempt to raise an issue with EI & i have yet to have a response.

I raised it initially a month ago over the phone & a few days later via twitter.Hopefully 3rd time is the charm.

I changed addresses recently & the estate agent for Address B sent EI the meter reading and gave them my name to change the account to.

I was entering the final readings for Address A(The place i was moving from) & noticed that Address B had already been linked to my account profile. I thought this was odd as EI hadn't contacted me about it & they would have only the word of the estate agent.

Then i noticed the billing address for Address A had been changed to Address B.

Just to make crystal clear. Somehow the estate agent was able to change the billing address of an EI account for a completelty unrelated property in my name. From what the person on the phone told me i think this is a system issue rather a once off event. The estate agent had permission to change address B to my name but shouldn't have had acccess to anything on Address A

This is potential data protection issue and a system issue.

I tried to explain this to the person on the phone at EI but he tried to dismiss it with a "Thats how the system works..". I asked them to raise it as an issue because i wanted an explaination. I had to explain to them that the whole data protection hoop they made me jump through at the start of the call was kinda pointless since the address on the account had been changed by someone else without my permission.

I then vented on twitter. EI asked me to DM them the details. I did. That was about a month go. I'm all for social media but if some one contacts you, asks for the issue and then doesnt respond.. that's poor form.

EI has a flaw which lets an unauthorised person make a change to someone elses account. My next step is to the data protection commissioner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Agent J,

Please send me a private message with the Electric Ireland account number, your name/address and date of birth for investigation.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement