Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Meindl boot for hiking in Ireland?

Options
  • 08-08-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I was thinking about buying a pair of meindls and i was wondering what pair would be best suited for irish weather and terrain. I am looking for syntetic boots and not leather ones. Any other sugestions on other good brands

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

don't worry about brands, find a boot that fits your foot, most makers use their own template so you need to find the best fit for you. Go to a good outdoor shop, ask to talk to their best/most experienced boot salesperson, come back another time if you have to, don't rush. A good salesperson should be able to advise you on the best boot for the terrain and conditions you want to walk in.
    best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭airsofter1234

thanks for the reply, ye i might head in to one of the shops and give it ago , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Personally I would go with leather rather than synthetic given our wet climate

ye but dont they have a lot of maintanence?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

All boots need to be looked after, fabric boots need regular cleaning and re-proofing if they get muddy, and they will.. leather better in wet but a bit heavier.

• Advertisement

I had a cheap fabric pair of regatta and they only lasted a year of regular use , the sole is completely eroded. Ye suppose ill have a look at both of them i just want a good pair that will last this time

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

I have the Island Pro - a very stiff boot. I find the extra support nice. Its only good for use on mountains though, its a bit too stiff to use on a path or that.

a few others I know have the Burma, which is a little less stiff. The Burma is one of the most popular boots in Ireland and UK.

They will take some time to break in, and make sure they fit you properly when you buy. Wear hiking socks etc when trying on.

Very happy with the Meindl boots, had this pair for a year and they are still 100% waterproof. I've had to stand in ~6 inches of water for long periods (at river crossings with groups) and no water gets in. I always have completely dry feet at the end of a hike (well a little sweat :D ). Any other waterproof boot I've had has eventually let in some water after a few hours.

Have Meindl Island Pros, old pair, find them fairly heavy going after 7 or 8 hours, but they are tough and very waterproof.

Also have newer Meindl Air Revolution that are more comfortable and far lighter, but not sure I'd take them for a 10 hour trek through a bog or through snow and ice.

thanks for the replies. Which outdoor shops stock meindl btw??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

https://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?products_id=9767

got a pair of the above, excellent boot ,a bit pricey but you get what you pay for , and the boot is the most important bit of your kit, it only takes 5 minutes to clean them after a hike , and then the will last for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I was thinking about buying a pair of meindls and i was wondering what pair would be best suited for irish weather and terrain. I am looking for syntetic boots and not leather ones. Any other sugestions on other good brands

Thanks

ask in great outdoors and say where you want to go with them. they are pricey but they will not let you leave until the boots fit perfectly.

I find them quite good in portwest and better value. the gf got a pair of Italian no name boots there for around a hundred and they are good.

Advertisement