Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of adding payment system to a website?

Options
  • 08-08-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am developing a site that will be using a subscription payment model. The users will pay a monthly fee to access the members area of the site. They can sign up for 1 month, 3 months or a 12 months and the payments will automatically be taken from the credit card/paypal on a monthly basis. They also need to be able to offer discount codes that some users can input to receive a discount.

The site is built using Drupal and it's ready to go apart from the payment system. I have alot of Drupal development experience but no prior experience with implementing payment systems. I am sure people here have experience implementing payment systems, and integrating them with a CMS like Drupal/Joomla/etc...
    1. Is it a difficult/time-consuming job when you have no prior experience?
    2. How long would you expect it to take me roughly? Days?...weeks?
    3. If you were hiring in somebody with experience to implement this payment system how much would you expect to pay them and how long would you expect them to take?

I am not looking for quotes for this work, I am a student working on a site for a business in my local region and I am just looking for an idea of how 'big' this job is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The development forum is not the provide-free-quotes-for-development-work forum...

Reopening after discussion with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

paymentie wrote: »
    I am developing a site that will be using a subscription payment model. The users will pay a monthly fee to access the members area of the site. They can sign up for 1 month, 3 months or a 12 months and the payments will automatically be taken from the credit card/paypal on a monthly basis. They also need to be able to offer discount codes that some users can input to receive a discount.

The site is built using Drupal and it's ready to go apart from the payment system. I have alot of Drupal development experience but no prior experience with implementing payment systems. I am sure people here have experience implementing payment systems, and integrating them with a CMS like Drupal/Joomla/etc...
    1. Is it a difficult/time-consuming job when you have no prior experience?
    2. How long would you expect it to take me roughly? Days?...weeks?
    3. If you were hiring in somebody with experience to implement this payment system how much would you expect to pay them and how long would you expect them to take?

Its really dependent on what payment provider you go with. Realex is a very popular one and supply detailed code examples which make it very easy to get up and running.

This is a real "how long is a piece of string" question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paymentie

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Its really dependent on what payment provider you go with. Realex is a very popular one and supply detailed code examples which make it very easy to get up and running.

This is a real "how long is a piece of string" question.

Any rough idea on how long would it take someone with no experience to get a realex payment system up and running? I need to handle subscriptions and discount codes. Taking into account the unforeseen stuff that always pops in any development work...

Any rough idea on how long would it take someone with no experience to get a realex payment system up and running? I need to handle subscriptions and discount codes. Taking into account the unforeseen stuff that always pops in any development work...

This is all so incredibly vague, what are your development skills like? How much experience do you have.

To be frank, if your asking questions like this, I'd be surprised if you are capable of carrying out the work.

• Advertisement

This is all so incredibly vague, what are your development skills like? How much experience do you have.

To be frank, if your asking questions like this, I'd be surprised if you are capable of carrying out the work.
    I have alot of Drupal development experience but no prior experience with implementing payment systems.

I've been coding for years, I know code in Drupal core and the big 3rd party modules very well, wrote lots of custom modules, etc...

I posted this thread because I am under time constraints and I am looking for an idea of how long this feature will take before I commit to implementing anything, because if it will take too long there is no point in doing it. Lots of stuff can be implemented in hours when you have prior experience compared to weeks when you are learning it for the first time. I only have time for it evenings and weekends because I am doing other dev work 9-5. I also would want to have it done and dusted by next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Have you started looking at the samples for the payment system suggested?

I've been coding for years, I know code in Drupal core and the big 3rd party modules very well, wrote lots of custom modules, etc...

If thats the case why not open the API documentation of your preferred provider and estimate it yourself? :confused:

I'd be confident I could write it in a hour or two, but that information is completely irrelevant to you....

I'd be confident I could write it in a hour or two, but that information is completely irrelevant to you....
    Having actually done this for an earlier version of Drupal, I wouldn't have any confidence in that estimate.

Have you started looking at the samples for the payment system suggested?
    If thats the case why not open the API documentation of your preferred provider and estimate it yourself? :confused:

I am not going to know from looking at the docs how long it will take. If someone without prior experience was asked to implement a feature using the Views module or by maniupulating the Forms API programmatically, they are not going to have any clue as to how long it would take by looking at the docs on those areas.

My best bet is from asking developers who've done this previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I am not going to know from looking at the docs how long it will take. If someone without prior experience was asked to implement a feature using the Views module or by maniupulating the Forms API programmatically, they are not going to have any clue as to how long it would take by looking at the docs on those areas.

My best bet is from asking developers who've done this previously.

I know of someone that can help you implement it for free, zero cost. If you don't have it sorted yet send me a PM.

Advertisement