Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Scone/Coffee in Killarney

Options
  • 08-08-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Each year for many years past i have stayed for a few days in Killarney and always enjoyed the trip. Today in order to see Katie Taylor in action i went into a pub/restaurant on the outskirts of the town for a cup of ordinary coffee and a scone. The scone was on the small size but served nicely with jam, butter and cream. The bill, which shocked me, was 7.50 euro. Maybe i am out of touch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

dewdrop wrote: »
    Each year for many years past i have stayed for a few days in Killarney and always enjoyed the trip. Today in order to see Katie Taylor in action i went into a pub/restaurant on the outskirts of the town for a cup of ordinary coffee and a scone. The scone was on the small size but served nicely with jam, butter and cream. The bill, which shocked me, was 7.50 euro. Maybe i am out of touch.
    \You can get a sandwich & a coffee for that in some towns! Granted it would be house coffee
    but still....... was it a specialty coffee i.e. baileys or irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

That seems very dear and Killarney because of competition has some good value. will you tell it where it was? or PM me with the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Did you enquiry that you were given the correct bill and not that of someone else?

Even if charged for a coffee at 3.00/3.50euros, no way would a scone be up to 4euros :confused:

That was excessive op & I'd like to know where that was too if you wouldn't mind, thanks (pm would be grand for me if you don't want to post there).

I would say you were possibly given the wrong bill by accident though. Were they overly busy? or Maybe they typed in for 2coffees by accident?!

Questioning after ordering a coffee and scone & being charged 7.50euros, I wouldn't say that you were out of touch, I'd question it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

It was an ordinary coffee. At the time i was going to question it but was in a state of shock! The staff were all busy aand i just left. Overall i love killarney and previous night at the hotel we were staying in my wife got a complimentary glass of wine. I dont like naming the place but if they continue with these prices they will lose business. Again i stress i find prices quite reasonable in Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

That's mad money for a scone and coffee. I don't know about Killarney but the average cost of a scone and coffee in Tralee is €4.

Even allowing for the tourist town mark up that is a hefty price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

seaniefr wrote: »
    \You can get a sandwich & a coffee for that in some towns! Granted it would be house coffee
    but still....... was it a specialty coffee i.e. baileys or irish?

You can get a sandwich and a coffee for less than that in many towns, and it would be a fancy italian style latte.

That is shocking.

You were had.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I really cant see there being anywhere in Killarney that actually has €7.50 for a scone and coffee. Either there was a pricing mixup or they pulled a fast one.

Even in the fanciest five-star hotels in town (Aghadoe, Europe, Killarney Park, Malton Hotel) you wouldn't be chargeg that much for a scone and a coffee.

Generally there is a lot of competition around Killarney so if you keep your eyes open you can get some very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

AFAI remember the europe and dunloe are €8 for coffee and scones; the serving is two small freshly baked fruit scones served beautifully with cream, jam and a little fresh fruit garnish. Coffee ususally includes a few home made biscuits.
    For a treat and taking into account the surroundings it's a fair price IMHO.

7.50 in a pub restaurant is completely ridicolous.

Why don't you want to give the name? I'd like to be fore-warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Molzer2 wrote: »
    €7.50 in a pub restaurant is completely ridicolous.

Why don't you want to give the name? I'd like to be fore-warned!
    I second the motion :D

Its not like its a trade secret, they are openly charging this price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Confirmed price of a regular coffee and a scone in either of the O'Briens in Killarney is €1.95 + €1.75

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Has anyone checked the prices of a well known establishment on the Muckross Road...maybe it was a mistake as things were very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Just wondering was it a five star hotel just outside the town? I know they charge a crazy price for coffee scones, other than that it just seems like it was an error. Maybe give them a ring.

Advertisement