Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gobsh!te Seller of the Year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

galwaytt wrote: »
    I appreciate that, and I've got the odd loon too. But is it any worse than a tyrekicker who turns up at your door and turns out to be a 'physical' timewaster too ? I'd rather do that remote, on a phone, then standing around on a wet day, outside. It's just part of selling: a % will always be for the birds.

And you need to keep the goal in mind: selling the object. You need to park the emotive. You're not marrying them. So long as they turn up, pay a fair price, does it really matter even if they are nuts ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80106133&postcount=5263
    cgal093 wrote: »
    To be fair, you could have just text back 'Thanks, but I think I'll leave it' rather than what you said.

If you do that and show any sign of kindness, they will keep at you and at you. Trust me, I've been through it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

The buyers were all young people so I think it is a generation thing - young people are afraid to phone a stranger.
    That's what I was thinking throughout the thread. Personally I'm the opposite, I think texting a stranger is a bit odd. Maybe it's the lack of introduction, I'm not sure.

I don't understand why any buyer would want to text a seller as first contact. You can learn so much more about the car, the seller and the price from a very quick phone call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Pj! wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking throughout the thread. Personally I'm the opposite, I think texting a stranger is a bit odd. Maybe it's the lack of introduction, I'm not sure.

I don't understand why any buyer would want to text a seller as first contact. You can learn so much more about the car, the seller and the price from a very quick phone call.

Being non-native English speaker and possibility of heavy accent on phone with a unfamiliar voice ? It is not great for both sides.

I txt\email sellers with my generic questions about car or availability but not about price(never interested in ads without price). Generally, I also add that if he answers questions and I am still interested, I'll ring him. I get replies back most of the time without problem.

I think using a polite language and commitment to ring them for further communication is enough in a txt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Maybe its this type of language which leads me to think he's very arrogant.
    So it's not what he said but how he said it? You should read back over your own posts and listen to yourself mate........really........... I've bought and sold plenty on the private market and texters are usually time wasters for the most part. If I was a serious buyer I'd always call to get a feel for who I am dealing with. Funny rant though I'll give you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

The way I look at it is....if you cant afford the phone call you cant afford the car... simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Pj! wrote: »

If you only want to know a) Is it still available and b) What is the price as the tool cannot even craft up an advert; then a text is a much better usage of time and far less intrusive for both parties.

Text is for quick confirmations, thats what this is. Its the optimum usage. It also doesnt have the reception problems that would plague anyone ringing from or to a bad reception area, again making it the superior initial contact method.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PassMoz

Good point about "which is it" :o

Speaking from my current ongoing experience of trying to sell my car, any texts I've gotten have all been from lads looking for a laugh by offering me 2500 less than what the car is advertised at. I have it well below what it's worth in this country given the way things are. Also, people wanting to trade when it's specifically mentioned at the bottom of the ad (beside no texts, no private numbers) that I don't want to swap.

The only genuine enquiries I've had have been calls as has been the way with all my previous cars when I was selling them.

I can't speak for everyone obviously but this is my personal experience.

That car you have is way overpriced, 900 tax per year, wouldnt give you more then 8k

PassMoz wrote: »
    That car you have is way overpriced, 900 tax per year, wouldnt give you more then 8k

No actually, it's not overpriced in the slightest and I'm not going to get into an argument with you so I'm stopping right here.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    If you only want to know a) Is it still available and b) What is the price as the tool cannot even craft up an advert; then a text is a much better usage of time and far less intrusive for both parties.
    If you're selling or buying a car and find a phone call intrusive then you've got issues.

On a texting issue, did anybody see The Girl Who Became Three Boys on C4? The 'boy'friend of one of the victims didn't talk to her when together. Instead (s)he took out the phone and texted her a response to a verbal question!
    What the hell is wrong with some young people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I've never sold a car via text or bought a car via text, any time i've been trying to sell a car in the past i've always treated any enquiry via text message as a potential time waster - if you are genuinely interested in the car pick up the phone and talk to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PassMoz

No actually, it's not overpriced in the slightest and I'm not going to get into an argument with you so I'm stopping right here.

Denial.

Would be a foolish buy when you could get an 08 car for a lot less tax.

tossy wrote: »
    I've never sold a car via text or bought a car via text, any time i've been trying to sell a car in the past i've always treated any enquiry via text message as a potential time waster - if you are genuinely interested in the car pick up the phone and talk to him.

Last person I bought a car from said the same. He stopped replying to texts after 3 days. Serious buyers will ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

A timewaster is...."what's your best price" "whats your last price" this annoys the sh1t out of me...all this how much you looking for the car, The price is in the add you thick cnut :)

why can't people just act normal and phone about cars for sale, I hate texting maybe that is why i feel like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Its the same when selling any item, not just motors.

Anytime I have an ad up on donedeal, its the people who call, as opposed to the ones who text, that I end up selling too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Sold my RS Vitz to a texter, for the guts of 4k, organised at least 2 other sales mainly via text.

when i seen my current Glanza for sale, the phone kept ringing out, so i sent a text to the owner and he replied in his own time and arragged a viewing via text and i deposited it as soon as i seen it.

texts are like calls. you can tell a timewaster from genuine interest straight away. i dont/ wouldnt reply to "whats the best price" nonsense, the ballpark figure is on the add, if your seriously interested, come view the car and then we'l talk money.

want a good solid laugh, view this add. not sure if its been posted already

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3733507

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

It's so cheap to tax that he didnt bother to pay it. Switch on the gear stick for vtec that's comical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3733507

Leaving out his txt spk, €2,600 for that tin can!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PassMoz wrote: »
    Denial.

Would be a foolish buy when you could get an 08 car for a lot less tax.

Ah yes the typical Irish mindset, spend thousands more to save a fraction in tax. And best of luck finding a 08 or newer Mazda 6 MPS as the tax was actually higher under the new system.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ah yes the typical Irish mindset, spend thousands more to save a fraction in tax. And best of luck finding a 08 or newer Mazda 6 MPS as the tax was actually higher under the new system.

Add to this the fact that 6 MPS's were only built from 2005 - 2007 as the newer model of Mazda6 came out in 2008 and due to the 4WD system not being suitable for the chassis they discontinued it.

I'm of the opinion that PassMoz isn't fully up on what the MPS actually is in relation to a normal 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Jarren wrote: »
    He is still the gob****e though

THE PRICE OF THE CAR IS VERY REASONABLE BUT WILL BE ONLY DISCUSSED WITH GENUINE PEOPLE WHEN THEY COME TO VIEW THE CAR !! IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS INFORMATION THEN DO NOT PHONE !!!!!
    Ok, again, pretty much what every dealer puts in their adds. There's pages and pages of adds by dealers in the Autotrader stating P.O.A. Obviously all these are also gobshites? In all honesty, I've been really polite so far, but I think this thread is a load of old waffle, way out of proportion to the percieved "offence" and if the OP was not Saab-ed, it would have been laughed out of it long ago. On this one, Saab-ed comes across as the pain to me.:) Also comes across as the arrogant one. "How dare you decide to sell your car in a way I disapprove of, don't you know I am a professional trader". Whatever, tbh. Like I said, if it wasn't Saab-ed....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Pottler wrote: »

THE PRICE OF THE CAR IS VERY REASONABLE BUT WILL BE ONLY DISCUSSED WITH GENUINE PEOPLE WHEN THEY COME TO VIEW THE CAR !! IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS INFORMATION THEN DO NOT PHONE !!!!!
    Ok, again, pretty much what every dealer puts in their adds. There's pages and pages of adds by dealers in the Autotrader stating P.O.A. Obviously all these are also gobshites? In all honesty, I've been really polite so far, but I think this thread is a load of old waffle, way out of proportion to the percieved "offence" and if the OP was not Saab-ed, it would have been laughed out of it long ago. On this one, Saab-ed comes across as the pain to me.:) Also comes across as the arrogant one. "How dare you decide to sell your car in a way I disapprove of, don't you know I am a professional trader". Whatever, tbh. Like I said, if it wasn't Saab-ed....

I think you've lost the plot a touch. Forget my comments in here, they had no impact or influence on the Volvo sellers attitude what so ever. I'm thinking you've got a separate axe to grind and are finding it impossible to remove yourself from that debate for the purpose of this rational one here.

My original post states that all I asked for was the price. I got a text back asking to call for more info. I didn't want more info, all I wanted was the price. Now whether you can admit it or not is up to yourself but the fact of the matter is the sellers advert is arrogant rubbish.

Now you mentioned that I'd have been laughed out of here only for the fact that I'm Saab Ed. Maybe there's something to that. Maybe those who know me know that I'm not a bull sh!tier, that I'm not a messer , that I really was trying to buy the car. Maybe your axe that you're grinding is with the motor trade but you've decided to take it out on me. Fine, I don't really care but reason goes out the window when you elude to the fact that motor dealers display such ads , which they don't, and try to make a Cognitive link between these mystical dealers and my behavior. Simple fact here is an arrogant guy pissed me off and I got thick. I'm having a laugh about it, you're trying to slate my character.

The last and most ironic thing of all for me is even after my initial politeness, even after my honesty describing the story in here, even though I'm well known in here for my straight (if sometimes tongue in cheek) talking , you still condemn me for my attitude and most of all for being a tinewasting texter ..... via the written word.

Tell me Potter, were you just wasting all of our time writing your comments in here.

Saab-ed, I think you might just be a bit too into Saab-ed. Get over the Volvo, if you don't like the seller, don't buy it, really, at the end of the day, what's it to you? I'm a bit old and hairy to fall for the whole "don't you dare criticise me potter" crap, I call a spade a spade, on this one you're way up your own hole tbh. Maybe not just on this one. Anyway, like I said, whatever. Anyone who spends this long wittering about a €500 pile of volvo mustnt be buying too many cars. And it's allude, with an a. And you sound like anything but a jokey messer, you actually come across as a bit of a piece of work. Mate. BTW, if that was my ad, and you called me a gobsh1te on a public forum and generally slagged off my character over a simple Add, I'd probably take offence and consult a solicitor. For all you knew, that could have been an elderly lad selling that car, maybe he doesn't want texts from loudmouth, arrogant timewasters. Maybe he is a bad car seller, maybe he does somthing else for a living, like most people. No real excuse for giving him dogs abuse. Bit bully boyish.

Saab-ed, I think you might just be a bit too into Saab-ed. Get over the Volvo, if you don't like the seller, don't buy it, really, at the end of the day, what's it to you? I'm a bit old and hairy to fall for the whole "don't you dare criticise me potter" crap, I call a spade a spade, on this one you're way up your own hole tbh. Maybe not just on this one. Anyway, like I said, whatever.

Ah but its very obvious you don't like me or my trade it my attitude. But due to that red mist you missed the point entirely . It wasn't about me, it was about the seller and became a thread about peoples opinions on communication methods, their pros and cons. You were not able to seperate this. If I get under your skin that much then start a hate Saab ed thread in after hours , you'll have a church in no time. But for now try to stay on script and discuss what we're discussing instead of obsessing about how I live.

By the way, you've fallen hook line and siinker for all my usual provocation stunts which I find very amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well I don't even bother ringing/texting a seller if they haven't bothered putting a price on the advert. To me they are the time waster.

Thats a fair point too.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Ah but its very obvious you don't like me or my trade it my attitude. But due to that red mist you missed the point entirely . It wasn't about me, it was about the seller and became a thread about peoples opinions on communication methods, their pros and cons. You were not able to seperate this. If I get under your skin that much then start a hate Saab ed thread in after hours , you'll have a church in no time. But for now try to stay on script and discuss what we're discussing instead of obsessing about how I live.

By the way, you've fallen hook line and siinker for all my usual provocation stunts which I find very amusing.
    So you're a troll? Also, I've no idea who you are, so how can I like or dislike you? I just think you are going too overboard on this for no great reason. "Gobshite seller" might just be a bit naive, or not too worldly, maybe it's the only car he ever had, who knows, and really, who cares?

Saab Ed, what's the story with you man ! Build a bridge dude and move on. :pac:

RoverJames wrote: »

Good man Jim :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

I'm of the opinion that PassMoz isn't fully up on what the MPS actually is in relation to a normal 6.

Let him drive it for about 20 seconds, then he'll know!! :D

The MPS is such a nice car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Let him drive it for about 20 seconds, then he'll know!! :D

The MPS is such a nice car!

If I say it's no different to a standard 6 can I get a go too? :p

Usually when I see an ad has no price I assume that it will be a lot pricier than all the others on the market so that you have to ring the seller and they can talk the car up to try justify a higher price.

Touche :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I am surprised this thread is not closed by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.... pages of adds by dealers in the Autotrader stating P.O.A. Obviously all these are also gobshites? ..

......is that a rhetorical question ? Calling oneself a selling professional, and not advertising the price of your item if sale is worse-than-dumb. These are not Fabergé eggs, or Bugatti Type 57's we're talking about..........they're bread-and-butter car's......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Anyone who spends this long wittering about a €500 pile of volvo mustnt be buying too many cars .

....so, how would you know it was €500, then ? He didn't put that nugget of info in the ad, remember,.......which was the point in the first place....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Saab-ed, I think you might just be a bit too into Saab-ed. Get over the Volvo, if you don't like the seller, don't buy it, really, at the end of the day, what's it to you? I'm a bit old and hairy to fall for the whole "don't you dare criticise me potter" crap, I call a spade a spade, on this one you're way up your own hole tbh. Maybe not just on this one. Anyway, like I said, whatever. Anyone who spends this long wittering about a €500 pile of volvo mustnt be buying too many cars. And it's allude, with an a. And you sound like anything but a jokey messer, you actually come across as a bit of a piece of work. Mate. BTW, if that was my ad, and you called me a gobsh1te on a public forum and generally slagged off my character over a simple Add, I'd probably take offence and consult a solicitor. For all you knew, that could have been an elderly lad selling that car, maybe he doesn't want texts from loudmouth, arrogant timewasters. Maybe he is a bad car seller, maybe he does somthing else for a living, like most people. No real excuse for giving him dogs abuse. Bit bully boyish.

good frackin baby jeebus:eek::eek::eek:

get a life mate:rolleyes:

Syllabus wrote: »
    good frackin baby jeebus:eek::eek::eek:

get a life mate:rolleyes:
    What's your point, schoolboy? Kiss ass forum is thataway---> There's a section for your favorite poster. Don't play tough with me, my point is my point, you go make your own, if you have a brain to do it. I've got a life, I don't need another. If you end up with half my life, you'll be doing well.

.... is syllabus a Londoner too?

.... is syllabus a Londoner too?
    I heard he grew up in Kuntish town. Btw, my parents are Irish, went there for work. We all make mistakes.:D Is this crap not locked yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

err, why didn't you just phone him for the price then? Nothing too out of the ordinary ringing someone and saying "well mate, how much do you need to get for your car?". How exactly was he being arrogant? He just asked you to phone him.:confused: I feckin hate texters as well. Bleedin phone me. How come almost all dealers stick full page ads in mags etc with no prices, or P.O.A and that's ok, but when a private seller does it, he's a tosser? You've lost me on this.

No, that's not ok. When I'm searching carzone or donedeal I skip everything with POA.
    Nothing worse than a shop that doesn't display prices.

What's your point, schoolboy? Kiss ass forum is thataway---> There's a section for your favorite poster. Don't play tough with me, my point is my point, you go make your own, if you have a brain to do it. I've got a life, I don't need another. If you end up with half my life, you'll be doing well.

schoolboy:confused::confused::confused:

you're a very angry little man

• Advertisement

schoolboy:confused::confused::confused:

you're a very angry little man

And that'll really help :rolleyes:

What's your point... Don't play tough with me..... If you end up with half my life, you'll be doing well.

my point is that your point about the OPs point is pointless

"don't play tough with me" - there isn't a laughing smilie big enough for me to put here

which half are you are you refering to? the half where you're very angry or the half where you're english? cos i really dont want to be either thanks

btw - 1400 posts in 6 months!!!! - get a life mate

And that'll really help :rolleyes:

well, i feel the first most important step he needs to take is admitting there's a problem;)

*cough* keyboard warrior *cough*

*cough* keyboard warrior *cough*

Not me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyway.....