Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apology letter from AIB...

Options
  • 08-08-2012 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

So, got a letter today from AIB, wasn't expecting anything from them tbh, but anyways opened it up.

They basically wrote to me to tell me, they 'accidentally gave the ICB wrong information' about me, and that information was in giving them completely wrong info on my credit history going back the last six years.

They've offered their unreserved apology, and basically said if I've been turned down for any credit applied for recent, to 'take the letter, and show it to whatever organisation'

Strangely enough, the only credit I've applied for recently was an overdraft facility on my AIB account (which they refused).

They're urging me to call them etc...

Now, this mistake and coupled with an earlier mistake they made last year (they paid the wrong sum of money to me via a cheque i lodged) had once again seriously made me consider leeching them.

Should i move on (as in forget it, and move on) or should i be in my local branch in the morning demanding answers?

Nothing like this had ever happened me before, and as far as i knew, had an unblemished credit history.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

I don't see going to the local branch doing you much good. It would be much the same as complaining to the local McDonalds for short changing you, by putting too much ice in their drinks.

I would start by writing them a strongly worded letter, using the Data Protection Acts to request ever piece of information they hold on you. Then you can see how much of a mistake they made and can use that as the basis for your complaint.

At the moment they are worried you will sue them, the request will make them more worried.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Edit,

Seems it wasn't just me got 'the letter'

Will this have serious repercussions for AIB i wonder?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0808/icb-aib.html

I an sure you have heard the details on RTE by now, it appears that if you had weekly or fortnightly repayments on a loan and you missed a week they reported that you missed a month.

The only people who got the letters are those that:

A Customers who AIB reported the incorrect information to the ICB for.

and

B Those who the ICB have issued incorrect information for.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

So no point complaining then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

You have every right to complain and can do no harm to note your concerns. however in terms of the outcome of the complaint to ensure this doesnt happen again I think the Data Protection Commissioner is coming down heavy on them.

Also the DPA has expressed concern this may have happened with other institutions.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    So no point complaining then?

You applied for an overdraft and were turned down. Thats more than grounds for a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Tow wrote: »
    You applied for an overdraft and were turned down. Thats more than grounds for a complaint.

Thats well more than enough, even the smallest bit of misinformation sent to the DPA is grounds for complaint. AIB have messed up big time.

Thanks guys.....

I feel a long conversation coming up with AIB tomorrow so, and possibly them having to sweeten me with the overdraft they refused!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 whats it

I got the same letter, Aib closed all my accounts keeping what money was in them (not much) with them over this and also sent both myself and my gaurantor threathening letters. when i missed a few weekly payments, they then also hyped the intest up on my account as they said i hadnt honoured the agreement.

what should i do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Make a formal complaint in writing to your branch, detailing what you want done about this. If you dont get a satisfactory final resolution from aib, then proceed to the ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 casual observer

Lots of people got letters, and lots were adversely affected by AIB's latest mistake. They fleeced us first chance they could, now it's our turn. Don't be silly, go for it.
    They gave a third party false information about us, this isn't just a mistake, it is libel. If someone scratches your car, are you happy if they Oops, sorry, and forget about it?
    Do you know that AIB initiated a claim against a software company last year, for €84 million?
    I'll bet they won't reveal how much they spend on corporate entertainment and golf trips to the US for their biggest clients.
    Do it, that'll be me just in front of you in the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ghandee wrote: »
    Now, this mistake and coupled with an earlier mistake they made last year (they paid the wrong sum of money to me via a cheque i lodged) had once again seriously made me consider leeching them.

This is human error, it can happen to anybody in any bank at any time. It can be annoying but such is life.

Sending incorrect information to the ICB is pretty serious, that can effect any credit application from the bank, building society or leasing contract. If it was me I would call AIB and find out how they are going to fix that.

This is human error, it can happen to anybody in any bank at any time. It can be annoying but such is life.

Sending incorrect information to the ICB is pretty serious, that can effect any credit application from the bank, building society or leasing contract. If it was me I would call AIB and find out how they are going to fix that.

They claim they've rectified the mistake and got I'm contact with the ICB now and advised them of the mistake made.

I feel I'm entitled to commendation tbh.

When their is no money on my account to cover a direct debit, they fine me.
    I feel its time to get even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

you need to contact the icb and get a free copy of your credit history to make sure its corrected.

Advertisement